Thread: Ultra Attempt - Level Requirements Prior to Alignment Switch

Default Ultra Attempt - Level Requirements Prior to Alignment Switch

Hi everyone,

Having played a number of the older releases about 8 years ago I have just gotten back in to ADOM thanks to the steam release.

After getting back in to the swing with a couple of ill-fated characters and due to finding an AOLS in the Dwarf Town shop of all places have decided to attempt my first ultra with my Dwarven Paladin.

My question is this, I want to switch alignment from chaotic as soon as possible to give myself enough time to switch to L+ easily and to push for crowning asap to hope for the awesome paladin sword.

I am currently only lvl 14 however. Is there a minimum level for being able to do the Ratling and Gaab'baay quests needing the C alignment?

Given I will be able to start farming boars in one levels time am I able to kick off these quests, satisfy the ratling and give in the skull asap then switch back to L?

I assume I don't need to be chaotic to enter the stone circle?

Are there any changes to the process in the new release?

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by klawz; 11-27-2015 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Spelling, formatting

No level limit that I know of, though Gabby's quests require some previous exploration, if just to get the items she needs.
    The boar is no slouch; ratling will need artifacts that don't exactly rain from heaven at this point.
    As far as I know, stone circle can be entered by any char once the ratling has told you how.
    Don't quote me on this though, I might be wrong.

With L altar, it's very easy to get back from C to L.
    L+ comes easily enough after clearing a GUV or the forge.
    I'd postpone saving Kelly until after you have swapped alignments and returned to L since saving him also grants a major lawful boost.
    Since you're a dwarf and a paladin, I suspect whips are out of the question though if you're feeling lucky, whips of slaughtering work rather nice even for chars with high natural PV.
    I usually wait till around level 25 when I have explored enough locations and gathered resources and then I make the alignment swap.
    In the case of darkforge, destroying steel golems has pushed me to L+ many times, there's a considerable lawful boost for each one and they spawn continuously there.
    Kherab is worth a lot of lawful points too, though he's initially non-hostile so attacking him directly gives you a minor alignment drop. Preferably use pets to start the fight and beware of his melee when blind raging.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Excellent, thanks Blasphemous!

Currently I have a few artefacts for the Railing as I for some reason pushed through the Dwarf quests: scythe of corruption, black torc, big punch, Rolf's axe (forget the name, companion or something?) from the mystic. Expecting to use the sword of nonnak after the graveyard too. Hopefully I can get in to the phial without too much trouble. Missed out on the potion of literacy as I leveled the skill too high. Debating keeping a weapon and using the ankh though, even though it's quite nice to have.

I'm missing the scroll of danger, boar skull and farmer corpse (which I can see being a pain). Do i need to be chaotic through her whole chain, or just until after the boar skull?

Can you sell a farmer corpse to a shop do you know? Who wouldn't want to own one of those beauties?

Quote Originally Posted by klawz View Post
    Excellent, thanks Blasphemous!

Currently I have a few artefacts for the Railing as I for some reason pushed through the Dwarf quests: scythe of corruption, black torc, big punch, Rolf's axe (forget the name, companion or something?) from the mystic. Expecting to use the sword of nonnak after the graveyard too. Hopefully I can get in to the phial without too much trouble. Missed out on the potion of literacy as I leveled the skill too high. Debating keeping a weapon and using the ankh though, even though it's quite nice to have.

I'm missing the scroll of danger, boar skull and farmer corpse (which I can see being a pain). Do i need to be chaotic through her whole chain, or just until after the boar skull?

Can you sell a farmer corpse to a shop do you know? Who wouldn't want to own one of those beauties?
    AFAIK, you only need to be chaotic to accept the first quest (bring the skull).

Farmer corpses will only drop if you have the quest to get one active.

Rolf's Axe is a decent throwing weapon, although probably not a better option than ankh. Then again, if you get Justifier, nothing will matter.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Farmer corpses will only drop if you have the quest to get one active.
    That's good to know! I could have murdered my way through the whole population without realizing and cursing my luck! Thank you!

You can sell cooked poisoned rustproof dwarven children corpses to Waldenbrook, he doesn't mind, so how much less would a shopkeeper care about some farmer
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Good to know he has no standards or good taste!

His would be quite a random shop to browse through! Past the si mountain, past the unwanted chain mail monolith, nestled amongst the cursed rings and amulets there lays the corpse of a poor farmer. Likely he only came in to the shop looking for some seeds but got lost within the unwanted melee weapon maze.

"How much for his corpse Waldenbrook?"

I bet after all this I'll end up dying stupidly anyway. Such is the fate of the majority of my characters!

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    You can sell cooked poisoned rustproof dwarven children corpses to Waldenbrook, he doesn't mind, so how much less would a shopkeeper care about some farmer
    Reminds me of something I did in a MUD once (the same one I mentioned in another thread); there was a goat that would 'eat anything' (as they're mythologically reputed to do) so I killed its two owners and fed them to it.