Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2H and dual-wielding

The dagger of death wasn't my great plan for damage, I was just sciencing with dual wielding and wanted to train daggers at the same time I'm trying out Needle/Sting now and it's a bit underwhelming. It is a lot of damage but even my normal weapons have +80dmg. I guess by the time you get it killing things in 1 turn vs 2 doesn't matter anyway, and nothing really takes 3 turns regardless.

Maybe I will try out Mino Axe next run.

my trollish monk got wyrmlance as precrowning gift, i was dissapointed and then i encountered greater fire vault turns out monks work quite well with 2h weapons with their class bonus to DV. yesterday i closed the gate. with wyrmlance equipped i had around 100DV and with minotaur axe around 75

It's a pity that +crit bonuses from whip of slaughtering + bloody dagger or 2 bloody daggers don't stack. That would've made a very compelling case to dual wield even for a sceptic like me. Still, I tried out the whip of slughtering + bloody dagger combo with my new drakeling mindcrafter (he didn't find any decent 2H). it wasn't bad but I still had to retreat from the maze tostack up on weeds.

It's not all that worth it until your weapon skill gets quite high, try getting your whips and dagger skills up to 10 at least before you dual wield them in a difficult place like mino maze.

Yeah you're right. that dagger was my weapon of choice in this game anyway, so I did have 11 in them - but my whips were absolutely pathetic and Dx far from stellar. I was hoping +crit will overcome that. Anyway, I've found the true aim in a GGV so now I'm back to stupid manotaurs with that!

some of 2h weapons are good but you need to comit to them early or dont use them at all. 1h weapons are easy when you can easily compensate whit good shield whit los skill lvl, but they are not any better in right hands. meny player dont take look weapon profiency table there is BIG difference in dv modifiers.

i use Grandmaster skill lvl and Eternium tower shield values so it might give missleading view. Most caracters dont get GM lvl in end of game.

polearm 1h + shield = 22+26=48DV!!! (lol orchis spear just got epin)
    polearm 1h + polearm 1h =22+22= 44DV
    guarterstaff = 40DV!!
    1h sword/mace/hammer/dagger + shield = 6+26=32DV
    Polearm 2h = 22DV
    dual wield 1h+1h = 6+6=12DV
    2h sword/ hammer = 6DV

so i dont recomend 2h sword/ hammers or dualwield swords. it can work but most likely you slowly die for age or corruption in end.
    Raven polearm user is game braking for others shield + 1h.

Quote Originally Posted by spuge View Post
    some of 2h weapons are good but you need to comit to them early or dont use them at all. 1h weapons are easy when you can easily compensate whit good shield whit los skill lvl, but they are not any better in right hands. meny player dont take look weapon profiency table there is BIG difference in dv modifiers.

i use Grandmaster skill lvl and Eternium tower shield values so it might give missleading view. Most caracters dont get GM lvl in end of game.

guarterstaff = 40DV!!
    Polearm 2h = 22DV
    2h sword/ hammer = 6DV

so i dont recomend 2h sword/ hammers or dualwield swords. it can work but most likely you slowly die for age or corruption in end.
    The off hand gets half the DV bonus, so it should look like;

Polearm 1h+ polearm 1h = 33 DV.

Quote Originally Posted by spuge View Post

guarterstaff = 40DV!!
    Polearm 2h = 22DV
    2h sword/ hammer = 6DV

With a 2H weapon, you can partially offset this by using different tactics settings. With the huge damage bonus, plus the generally high damage of a 2H weapon anyway, you can probably run on normal/defensive/coward tactics if you need to, especially against monsters that age/paralyse/whatever and still do just fine. With a 1H polearm, you basically need to be in berserk or very aggressive all the time to do any damage. It's fairly easy to get up to proficiency 7-9 anyway.

I really wish there were some more options for quarterstaves. The most interesting non-artifact ones are wood/iron, so that kind of limits the options there, but they're chronically underused considering the nice bonuses that they get. Eternium staff of devastation is one of my favourite weapons though.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I have always gone 1h/Shield route too. Maybe I should try 2h or dw more often. Shields are nice and spears are nice, but it sucks to see all those awesome 2h drop all the time and I'm like "Man that's awesome, but I keep this basic sword or spear Im using, because shields."

With my current dark elf paladin I did try dw a bit on lower danger areas. I got Trusted one as crowning gift and I dw it with my eternium long sword. It was ok, but I switched back to shield soon, since I've been going that route since start of the game. As above poster said I keep running aggressive and very aggressive most of the game with 1h/shield, I could probably do normal/aggressive with 2h and get some extra DV back from tactic settings.

So I have a True Berserker orc barb going. He has an orcish spear of devastation and a [+13,+6] shield. In this unusual case, do you think it's worth doing the minotaur maze and using the axe? For someone who has no armor, is the axe so much better than a spear of devastation it's worth nearly 75% of my DV and 40% of my PV?