Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Teleportitis Debacle

Default The Great Teleportitis Debacle

Missed the fabled Treasure Hunter discussion? Want to bash your fellow forum dwellers with your arguments? Want to call people names and walk out without moderators giving you warnings (actually I can't technically guarantee that)? Want to play ADOM to make a point?

I've got you covered.

The premise of this thread is the following:

1. You are free to express your opinion on merits of controlled teleportitis in ADOM.

2. You are free to back up your opinion with legitimate arguments.

3. You are free to flame your opponents.

4. You may create a character (only one per person for this thread) and designate a team this character will be competing for:

4.1. Team "I like controlled teleportitis and think it's as great as ... (insert object of love)."

4.2. Team "I hate controlled teleportitis and think it can ... (insert explicit action)."

4+. You are free to post about the progress of your character.

5. If you wish to back the first team, you must have active teleportitis for as much of the game as possible.

6. If you wish to back the second team, you must avoid having teleportitis at any cost.

7. For both teams: please note the amount of turns and real game time you've spent having/not having teleportitis (you can calculate both using verbose logs). These numbers will be used to determine the purity of your run.

8. If you manage to win, post the numbers relevant to your teams as well as total number of turns/total real time.

9. If you manage to die, post that as well for droll amusement of other participants. If your death can be directly tied to presence/absence of teleportitis, you can include this information.

10. Every successful game will net the respective team a point. Additionally, I will track purity totals: points multiplied by purity coefficient (WITH/TOTAL for the first team, WITHOUT/TOTAL for the second team).

11. Ultra games will net two points. OCG will net 1.5 points.

12. Have fun!

Opinion summary:
    Team 1.
    1. mjz15. Drakeling Paladin. Torn apart by an angry mob in the Ice Queen Domain.
    2. JellySlayer. Dark Elven Chaos Knight. Crushed by a bulette.
    3. ahpla. Orc Assassin. Closed the gate and won the game. (tptitis installed in 25480 turns, 3 hours).
    4. grobblewobble. Dark Elven Mindcrafter. Severely corrupted but still kicking.
    5. aerol. No char.
    6. Tyrnyx. Troll Barb. Won (tptitis installed at 4500, 15 minutes, won at 57932, 6 hours 37 minutes)
    7. _Ln_. High Elven Chaos Knight. Quit in desperation after losing all armor.
    8. Soirana. Dark Elven Chaos Knight. Still kicking.
    9. SirTheta. Chaos Knight?

Team 2.
    1. Blasphemous. Gray Elven Thief. Dead by signal 11 & master mimic combo.
    2. ghostjghost. Mist Elven Thief. Dead.
    3. hapro. No char.
    4. Al-Khwarizmi. No char.
    5. zliplus. Died to Vile Spirit onslaught.
    6. Blank4u47. Gray Elven Healer. Dispatched Andor Drakon and ascended!
    Last edited by _Ln_; 12-17-2015 at 10:47 AM.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

I'd like to join team 1. I like controlled teleportitis and I think it's as great as chocolate cake.

Sounds like fun. I will try to roll a CK with teleportitis and play with it from start to finish

[edit]Here's my roll (r60). Dark Elf CK with Mana Battery and Teleportitis. Nice character otherwise. Did number of CK corruptions get decreased? Thought it used to be 4 to start.

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                     Screenshot

^^^^^
                                                                            ^^@.^
                                                                            *..^^
                                                                             .^^

I             St:20  Le:10  Wi:11  Dx:20  To:18  Ch: 1  Ap: 8  Ma:17  Pe:11 C-
    DV/PV: 21/20   H: 20(24)      P: 5(5)        Exp: 1/0          DrCh   Sp: 102
    Coward

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Character Information

I    St:20  Le:10  Wi:11  Dx:20  To:18  Ch: 1  Ap: 8  Ma:17  Pe:11  C-
    DV/PV: 21/20   H: 20(24)   P: 5(5)   Exp: 1/0   M: 0

Background Information

Name: I                   Race: male Dark Elf       Class: Chaos Knight
    Eye color: amber          Hair color: white         Complexion: black
    Height: 5'10"             Weight: 119 pounds
    Star sign: Cup            Birthday: 10/Cup (day 250 of the year)

YOUR HISTORY:
            You were raised in an orphanage with no knowledge of your parents
     other than dark rumors. The local priest always avoided you.
            From an early age you suffered years of abuse. But where others
     broke, you were hardened, and the memories have never left you.
            You were a fey youth, prone to playful games and following your own
     mood. You were known for being active, curious and devilishly cunning.
            In your later years you became a sword for hire, known for your
     brutal and bloody murders. But you made many enemies, and suffered many
     scars from close encounters.
            At the age of 138 you left behind the horrors of your past, looking
     forward only to the horrors of your future. The dark path of a Chaos
     Knight lay before you.

Weapon Skills

Melee weapon           Lvl   Hit   Dam   DV   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Unarmed fighting         0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Daggers & knives         0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Clubs & hammers          0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Maces & flails           0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Swords                   0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Axes                     0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Whips                    0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Pole arms                2    +2    +0   +1   basic                40
    Twohanded weapons        0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15
    Staves                   0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            15

Missile weapon         Lvl   Hit   Dam   Ra   Level          Required marks

---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Slings                   0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Bows                     0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Crossbows                0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Thrown axes & hammers    0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Thrown daggers           0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Thrown rocks & clubs     0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Thrown spears            0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Boomerangs & scurgari    0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7

Shields                Lvl   DV               Level          Required marks

---------------------  ---   ---              -------------  --------------
    Shields                  0    +0              unskilled            15

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
    --------------------------------------
    Right hand: -7 bonus to hit, 1d12-1 damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
    ----------------------------------------
    No missile weapons available.

Skills

Alertness ................ 10    (poor)         [+4d5]
      Athletics ................ 45    (fair)         [+4d5]
      Backstabbing .............  6    (poor)         [+4d4]
      Climbing ................. 31    (fair)         [+4d4]
      Dodge .................... 16    (mediocre)     [+4d4]
      Find weakness ............ 25    (mediocre)     [+4d4]
      First aid ................ 20    (mediocre)     [+3d4]
      Haggling ................. 23    (mediocre)     [+1d5]
      Listening ................ 27    (mediocre)     [+3d5]
      Literacy .................  4    (poor)         [+3d4]
      Stealth .................. 40    (fair)         [+2d4]
      Two weapon combat ........  9    (poor)         [+4d5]

Effects of Corruption

Your close attunement to corrupted astral space allows teleportation.
    You are a living mana battery.
    Your eye(s) turned black (Pe: +3).

Inventory
    Total weight: 1183 stones                Carrying capacity: 2250 stones

Head          : horned helmet [+1, +4]                               [100s]
    Neck          : -
    Body          : full plate armor (-4, -8) [-6, +12]                  [800s]
    Girdle        : metal girdle [+0, +2]                                 [25s]
    Cloak         : light cloak [+1, +0]                                  [20s]
    Right Hand    : long spear (+1, 1d12) [+1, +0]                       [100s]
    Left Hand     : -
    Right Ring    : -
    Left Ring     : -
    Bracers       : -
    Gauntlets     : thick gauntlets (-1, -2) [+0, +1]                     [15s]
    Boots         : iron boots [-1, +1]                                  [120s]
    Missile Weapon: -
    Missiles      : -
    Tool          : -

Stuff

Total weight: 3 stones   Carrying capacity: 2250 stones

Food ('%')
       loaf of spider bread                                                [3s]
    Valuables ('$')
       24 gold pieces                                                      [0s]

Killed Monsters

He did not manage to vanquish any monsters.

Achievements

He survived for 0 years, 0 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes and 0 seconds (0 turns).
    I visited 1 place.
    His perception score was modified by +1 during his career.

Playing Time

You played for 0 hours, 0 minutes and 12 seconds.

Version Information

Ancient Domains Of Mystery
    Release 60
    Windows Deluxe Build: Aug 23 2015 16:09:49
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 12-07-2015 at 05:54 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I like controlled teleportitis and think it's as great as Michael Jackson before plastic surgery.

So team 1 here, obviously. I will roll a mindcrafter for this, at least it means teleport control is guaranteed. In order to gain teleportitis, I will scum the first corruption trap I find until Astral Planes happens. What could possibly go wrong.

Also I respectfully disagree with the opinions of the noobs in team 2.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I fail to understand fixation on controlled tpttitis. In my not so humble opinion, player can't really have an opinion on this topic [and thus is total noob fagot] if he has not finished game with uncontrolled teleportitis.

Ugh, it's enough that this vilest of all intrinsics exists in the game at all, no need to to poison the forum with its corrupting touch.
    In the course of a multitude of games, I have gathered that sources of on-demand, controlled teleportation are widespread and easy to obtain.
    Having something like teleportitis kicking in randomly, at the worst moments possible is just not fun at all.
    I am a fast clicker and with the rather vast experience of the game, I can afford to play fast and still avoid missclicks and mistakes.
    With teleportitis, this becomes a problem because at just about any moment in time, it might kick in and send me *somewhere*, more than likely where I don't want to be.
    It kills my feel of the game flow, it disrupts my sense of stability and makes me wet my bed sheets at night.

That's for melee chars. For casters it's understandably worse since you have to deliberately seek an area that suppresses teleportation to engage in book reading activities.
    I don't want to go to non-teleportation areas to do that; I read books way too frequently and randomly while being scratched behind my long elven ears by goblins and orcs.
    I continuously work to enlarge my... spell knowledge in all arcane areas, firmly into four and then five digit numbers. And I want to be able to do that at any time in any place.
    With teleportitis that's nigh impossible. In the vast majority of cases you don't need teleportitis, its advantages are negated entirely outside of locations such as the maze or ID, which by the way are optional.
    It doesn't save you from anything at all, since it never activates when you need it. That's a fact.

If only I could be curse-doomed instead, every time I would gain this accursed intrinsic, I would be a happy man, unscathed by the RNG's turgid maelstroms, running to and fro the nearest co-aligned altar to remove said mildly enraging replacements.
    Alas, no, I am bereft of choice when gorging on the sweetness of pool liquids and their wondrous boons.
    I will tell you this though: I refuse to cease sipping the RNG's multicolored piss just because there's an occasional chance to get teleportitis cancer.

It's perfectly fine to use a helm of teleportation which gives you a semi-controlled teleportitis when you *might* need it, on the rare few occasions.
    However, once such need ends, you can take the helm off and breathe a sigh of relief at getting rid of it, regaining once more full control of your bladder.
    Having it on 24/7, all round the clock... a nightmare and pure horror.
    If I don't find quick means of removing teleportitis, I usually shift+q out of sheer annoyance.
    What a dreadful feature.

EDIT:
    Almost forgot:
    Team "I hate controlled teleportitis and to quote Cyrus the Virus, it's somewhere between a cockroach and that white stuff that accumulates at the corner in your mouth when you're really thirsty.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 12-07-2015 at 10:47 PM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Team "I hate controlled teleportitis and think it can" - I don't really hate it, but its very annoying when your trying to do anything specific besides getting from point A to point B. - I think that's probably how it was intended to be though.

Fortunately its easy to avoid.

I rolled Meister - a mist elven thief

Edit: ....... Well that was a fail. Died not five minutes later to the very first door in the village dungeon.
    Last edited by ghostjghost; 12-08-2015 at 03:46 AM.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

In my case, unless I'm trying to live sac or read books, I like controlled teleportits (hate it uncontrolled, of course). Best of both words? A teleportitis granting item.

Now, my least favorite intrinsic of all time is intrinsic invisibility. I hate it.
    Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Quote Originally Posted by aerol View Post
    In my case, unless I'm trying to live sac or read books, I like controlled teleportits (hate it uncontrolled, of course). Best of both words? A teleportitis granting item.

Now, my least favorite intrinsic of all time is intrinsic invisibility. I hate it.
    I hate intrinsic teleportitis but cloak of oman is one of my favorite artifacts.

Go team teleportitis.

Excitement fills me when i kill a pixie and it drops a corpse, double pleasure: tastes like candy and can grant teleportitis. Even if i dont have teleport control as blink dogs are not that rare.

I once rolled a CK with teleportitis, the question was ID (hunting for blink dogs) or SMC -> UD?

I went through UD first.

There are much much much more annoying things in ADOM (like playing the game without Treasure Hunter)