Thread: Dual wielding and Backstab

Default Dual wielding and Backstab

I'm running an assassin at the moment. I got crowned with Serpent's Bite (+3, 3d4+3) [+3, +1]. I also have Scorched spear (+2, 3d8+1) [+2, +0] and Phase dagger +3 1d4.

How does backstab work when dual wielding? Do both weapons get to stab or only main hand one. Also is Phase dagger worth wielding or should I dual wield Scorched spear and Serpent's bite instead? I tried Phase dagger vs Steel golem, but even when penetrating, it didn't really hit that much. Assassin's also get extra bonus backstabbing when using dagger, bonus stays even if I use spear in other hand?

An assassin gets the backstab bonus regardless of weapon wielded. However daggers get a bonus to backstab as well.

That said, backstab is nice, but your hardest fights are usually not fought by surprise attacks, so if you are only willing to dual wield, use the spear in your main hand for DV bonus, with serpents bite in your off hand for dmg/poison.

If you don't plan to dual wield all the time, just use serpents bite with a shield.

Backstab only activates with the first hit if I remember correctly.

Yes, even when dual wielding, backstab only counts for the first attack.
    I'd ditch the scorched spear and just equip a shield - serpent's bite with all backstab and assassin class bonuses is a very powerful weapon.
    Instead, I'd focus on stealth + stealthy talent and possibly invisibility as all those additions will increase the frequency of backstabs - less monsters will notice you.
    For dual wielding, the only viable choice for me is needle+sting. If you plan on an ultra, assassins can get the Filk quest at level 30 (or 35) versus 45 for all other chars.
    That way, you can kill shrax, get the quest, kill the prince and have both daggers around lvl 30, for the remainder of the game.
    Of course, at this point, killing shrax is easier said than done but it's certainly possible, with enough disablers and/or dragon slayers.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I probably won't be doing ultra. I just did my first win ever couple days ago with paladin, so I probably go normal ending and explore extra locations for fun. I got maxed stealth and ring of invisibility. I think I keep on dual wielding. It gets boring to use shield on every character just because it's so strong combination.

I probably switch dagger to main hand tho. Since apparently backstab only works for main hand. I get stealthy talent as well next time, I don't have it yet. I try get the needle + sting combination before I win the game. Just for fun.