Thread: Hello again, adom, what's new?

Default Hello again, adom, what's new?

It's been a while since I've touched adom. There's a lot of jargon floating around and I hope someone can help explain what's going on

1) I used to play an ascii only version. Do people still play this or is everyone moving on?
    2) what's going on with iAdom, adom 2, tome, jade, adom 1.1 vs adom 1.2 vs adom 2?
    3) are people playing the steam version with spectators? How do I get part of this?
    4) steam version seems to hang when I'm in the overworld. How do I purge all settings to try again? Also quite laggy in tiles mode.
    5) is the guidebook or irc bot still the goto spoiler? What about all these new locations?

Cheers

1) You can switch between modes by pressing F10. You can enjoy ascii or graphics. It's up to you. Content is the same. You can also mix graphics and ascii by "ctrl+n m" if you don't like the graphic status bars etc.
    2) adom is getting attention now, since the kickstarter. I'm not sure if other adom related projects are under much work at the moment.
    4) Not sure. I got really good computer and adom lags sometimes too. I have no idea what settings help with that.
    5) Guidebook isn't updated I think. ADOM Wiki has info about the new stuff. Just google and you probably find wiki pages. All new locations aren't in game yet. I think some locations will be added later.

1) I was referring to the version before all the new additions and noteye stuff.
    2) ok, but where can I get an explanation of exactly what versions there are, which are being developed, and what the differences are?
    5) is this the adom wikia?

4) Did you try OpenGL rendering (settings of Noteye) already?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This is a gameplay challenge, not an exercise in tedium.

Quote Originally Posted by Moult View Post
    It's been a while since I've touched adom. There's a lot of jargon floating around and I hope someone can help explain what's going on

1) I used to play an ascii only version. Do people still play this or is everyone moving on?
    2) what's going on with iAdom, adom 2, tome, jade, adom 1.1 vs adom 1.2 vs adom 2?
    3) are people playing the steam version with spectators? How do I get part of this?
    4) steam version seems to hang when I'm in the overworld. How do I purge all settings to try again? Also quite laggy in tiles mode.
    5) is the guidebook or irc bot still the goto spoiler? What about all these new locations?

Cheers
    1) new players probably are moving on, some still play in tiles. For me Ascii is easier as I don't need to readjust.
    2) IAdom no clue [it supposed to be Adom for smartphones, more or less]. 1.2 is called Adom2 now [which is Adom with improvements after ressurection campaign], and Jade is on hold untill, well, 1.2 gets in decent shape. [Jade is exactly the same thing Adom2 used to be called before resurrection campaign, tome is another game - Tales of Maj'eyal]
    3) it is possible to enable spectating through steam [in setting need to accept steam beta, then option for spectating options -- none/friends/anyone -- appear [in same setting menu]]. If a player sets option anyone, he can appear in games steam community hub under broadcast. Some people do that, but steam limits total broadcasts [so if I start playing and the option is on I might not get bandwidth]. for watching part just go to
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/333300/broadcasts/
    Between non guaranteed bandwidth and people preffering not to broadcast other games they play on steam... there is probably not a lot of stuff to watch.
    4) some optimization has been promised, but people have been crying for console only version [without all that NotEye thing].
    5) Wiki [wikia one, probably needs addblocker to use properly] is probably the only one with 1.2 info.
    Last edited by Soirana; 12-30-2015 at 07:02 AM.

Cheers
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki - The most updated site with recent changes.
    http://adomgb.sweb.cz/adomgb-toc.html - This site still has some very detailed bits of information that doesn't exist anywhere else. For example Garth training costs. Of course everything has to be taken with a grain of salt as last time it was updated, I believe, was during 1.1.1.

1) I see. I do really like the graphics - they look very well done. The only gripe is that I can't see the entire field of vision in graphics mode. So there are often monsters out of my view in open areas. F10 as a quick switch works well though.
    4) The lag and CPU usage is horrible for a game that really should be very light. I certainly hope that a console-only version or optimizations are high on the list. Clearly I'm not the only one having issues. What does TB say about this? (and yes, I've tried all sorts of noteye rendering, resolution, and ascii mode combinations)

I believe you can see the entire field of vision given higher resolutions/window size. The performance issues is on the list of tasks (in the project sections).

1) I see. I do really like the graphics - they look very well done. The only gripe is that I can't see the entire field of vision in graphics mode. So there are often monsters out of my view in open areas. F10 as a quick switch works well though.
    4) The lag and CPU usage is horrible for a game that really should be very light. I certainly hope that a console-only version or optimizations are high on the list. Clearly I'm not the only one having issues. What does TB say about this? (and yes, I've tried all sorts of noteye rendering, resolution, and ascii mode combinations)
    The lag is most likely because of auto save.
    Colon capital S zero ( :S0 ) to disable it.

I'd prefer a prompt when autosaving, as it is now I press commands, nothing happens and then several commands output at once which can be detrimental in more than a few occations.

I see the lag when it autosaves, but I also see a ridiculous CPU usage when doing everything else, even when at the start menu screen before starting a game.