Thread: Are staffs good enough on wizards?

Hybrid View

Default Are staffs good enough on wizards?

I've barely played casters since getting a couple of ultras on them years ago, but it strikes me that while staffs are the traditional wizard weapon they are largely inferior to spear/nonnak & shield.

Do people agree, and if so, any thoughts on a way to make staff use more common on wizards? Here are a couple of musings:

Staff skill granting a willpower bonus?

A new shield spell that gives +pv/dv based on your staff skill level, when you have a staff equipped?

A chance of spell failure if you don't have an open hand or a staff equipped?

Yeah, I created a RFE a while back suggesting that Staves provide a Wi bonus or something along those lines. Will see if I can find it.

Edit - No, can't find it. Must have been just a suggestion I posted in someone else's RFE.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-23-2015 at 11:00 AM.
    Learn to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by shockeroo View Post
    I've barely played casters since getting a couple of ultras on them years ago, but it strikes me that while staffs are the traditional wizard weapon they are largely inferior to spear/nonnak & shield.
    Staves are not good weapon overall.
    For wizards I would say at least lowering marks to get proficiency levels [that is a traditional choice of weapon for wizzards anyway] and adding some base bonus giving staves [like knife of endurance, just with Wi bonus instead of To] is needed. At the moment the staff of creation is probably the only one I would ever consider wielding as wizard [okay, maybe +mana ones for archmage or something like that too].

Or maybe apply a parry bonus to DV which applies the shield skill? Like half DV gained from staffs acts as the shield bonus which then acts as if wielding a shield for that amount.

Also not sure if I like the base will bonus idea, seems like all staffs would become staffs of power then. Maybe you should be able to store pp into your weapon if you're a caster, taking a while to do so while at full pp.

Short answer no.
    Long answer, casters already have very slow weapon skill progress which make shield a no brainer.
    Staff of smiting is very cool with an extremely random damage output it is however made of wood which have some implications.

I think staves are viable at extremely high investments, because their DV bonus is truly ridiculous, and

The classes that spawn with staves typically never use them, mostly because of their low progression with them. If you want to incline them to use them, or promote them as their signature weapon, either nerf their effectiveness (or lack of inability to use) a shield, or make staves better in their hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlterAsc View Post
    Lifespan that allows not you cower in fear and equip 'ring of hide me', 'wand of get away from me' and 'arrows of please don't hit me'.
    - AlterAsc talks about the problem with Trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Worst case scenario, grab the shield of raw steel and laugh your way through the tower.
    - JellySlayer carrying one of my characters.

One nice thing about staves is that with extremely low str with early characters you still can kill those early fire beetles without having to go berserk.

Staves are useless because casters are already overpowered at range on their own and sword of Nonnak exists.

Game needs more normal loot staves that fit spellcasters and maybe even melee characters. Couple new artifact staff wouldn't hurt either, so you have increased chance to get one of the good artifact staves and might want to build proficiency in staff skill early on.

My proposal for new staff. Staff of Fire (Ice, Acid etc). Normal damage + chance to trigger extra fire damage (high chance), fire bolt (low chance), fire ball (even lower chance) depending on willpower and staff proficiency.