Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice for Ultra Ending (r59, Drakeling Wizard)

You are right! I remembered it a rattling fodder because it DID NOT return. I've been using it, and it seems to kick ass! Plus, I'm slowly building a nice stash of slaying ammo; I should practice my aim :P.

I got the torc and dived. No problems during the Keethrax quest, except killing the little kitty (I wasn't even using magic, I just drunkenly ran into it. DON'T DRINK AND DIVE KIDS!). Being chaotic I did not give the corpse to the druid, but I lost it while descending to Dwarftown (forgot to bless it).

On my way to Dwarftown, I got another Chaotic altar in a non corrupting floor, herbs (in addition to the Big Room) & statue ("resembles a large si", +10 Dx). Ignored the Arena for now, went straight to Thundaar's first quest.

Troll Chief.PNG

Troll Chief.

¬¬.

I want to find that troll. Any suggestions?

I have a few options for the meantime, which hopefully will help find it:

I have the tools to pacify the Big Room.
    I'm not sure if I have access to 6 artifacts right now. If I did, I could do the ratling quest and start the Medal quest up to the giant boar skull, and freely change alignment for crowning!
    I'll go to Dwarven Graveyard, then Gremlin Cave, and Darkforge. Any advice for Darkforge?
    I'm not trained enough to go to the Rift yet (I forgot to train Pick Pockets and haven't gone back to Lawenilothehl; Climbing at 70, Stealth at 8X).

I'm also needing to have a stash somewhere. Any recommended safe places to store things?

You've got a while before you need to feed the rattling, so don't rush. You can wait until after you get TtRR even if you want. Anyways I find troll Chiefs often in the levels before DHs.

Darkforge advice is this; ring of ice + fire resist +healing herbs + lightning ball or ice or acid. Pv greater than 25 is nice too.

Do the climbing training after portal quest, less walking.

And I stash stuff next to thrundarr

Quote Originally Posted by Revontulet View Post
    1. Being chaotic I did not give the corpse to the druid, but I lost it while descending to Dwarftown (forgot to bless it).

2. Troll Chief.
    2.a I want to find that troll. Any suggestions?

3. I have the tools to pacify the Big Room.
    4. I'm not sure if I have access to 6 artifacts right now.
    5.I'll go to Dwarven Graveyard, then Gremlin Cave, and Darkforge.
    5.a Any advice for Darkforge?
    6.I'm also needing to have a stash somewhere. Any recommended safe places to store things?
    1. Village has food shop close to druid, which happily buys corpses.
    2. Some people believe quest difficulty depends on character level [yours is 17+, right?]
    2.a High kings cavernus levels.
    3. Why bother? You have two separate levels with herbs anyway....
    4. Well, at this point you have/can have --- torc, ankh, AMW, Thunderstroke, phial, Nonnak, elemental gauntlets, crown of the science, ring of the high kings. I'd keep Thunderstroke, sword of Nonnka and kings ring. But p59 has IQD, right? So as minimum check greater vault which has couple artifacts.
    5. With your level and spells I'd rather do Ice queen stuff.
    5.a Lightning ball, Willpower>=32
    6. Old barbarian glade since you are bouncing around map anyway.

And YASD.

I shot a Lightning Bolt at the wall in a corridor in Darkforge. Forgot to equip the Elemental Gauntlets (perhaps I could have survived with resistance) and it bounced me to death. Note to self: Never use Lightning Bolts in a corridor without resistance, you may be stupid enough to need it.

I had found 7LB and a White Dragon Scale Mail in the Graveyard, and had just cleared the Gremlin Cave, disarming all traps with the spell.

I'm playing on a Lenovo x220, that does not have numeric keyboard due to it's size. I have to alternate between the Fn + Numlock to aim and menus. I though I hit the correct button, but apparently it was not the case. This is one of those cases in I really would love to restore it; however, this is the kind of game that really uses your stupidity against you, so that'll have to be it.

:@. Oh well. I'll do some housework and retry tonight. Thank you all for the advice so far, it's been really helpful to get back into the game!

Oh well btw I would highly recommend you get an attachable numeric keypad, doesn't cost very much, and it saves you some YASD's and some headaches.

Personally I like to keep AMW just for the mana temple but to each their own. Do the crone's quest first anyway since you need to be chaotic for that anyway. No sense losing your piety unless you use Guth for the PoCC. Gather everything before doing that.

Pacifying the big room is more evidence that you've read too much guidebook. It might have been useful when you could use stoma to get multiple precrownings. Even then it was mostly a waste of time/turns. Remember: it shows you everything you can do, not everything you should do.

For ice queen you need invis. Don't kill anything you don't have to. Kill the prince ASAP. Fire magic doesn't work. AMW is useful here too.

Good luck.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrnyx View Post
    Personally I like to keep AMW just for the mana temple
    As wizard you can use Nonnak for Death resist and IQD has room of peaceful invisible stalkers to hunt for See invisible. Thus, as a caster I would take sword over wrapping without any doubt.

I definitely forgot (maybe never knew) that Nonnak had death res. I don't play casters very often so it wasn't vital. I guess you would also need cold res if you went that route but that shouldn't be too hard to get. Will keep in mind for the next time I play. Thanks.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Oh well btw I would highly recommend you get an attachable numeric keypad, doesn't cost very much, and it saves you some YASD's and some headaches.
    Yeah, it caused a few times other deaths in testing too; I got a PS3 joystick for the legacy emulators, I'm definitely getting a numpad for roguelikes.

Again, pacifying the Big Room is more a matter of habit than logic really, mainly to have a safe non-corrupting place for herbs and storage when Dwarftown spawns > DL:9. It's certainly not needed in most cases (as in this case).

I completely forgot about selling the corpse in Terinyo. Noted for next time.

For stashing, I ended up using the allew behind the Dwarftown shop; created two doors, locked them both with keys. If I recall correctly, nobody enterns Thrundarr's room except hostile things, right?

I loved the skill combinations Wizard + Drakeling gives, so I'm probably gonna retry with them, despite the possible issues with the IQD. If you say it's doable, I'm in .

It's possible for things to get into thrundarrs, but rare. I usually lock the door though things stay safe without.

IQD is very doable for drakelings especially for casters. You should try a priest, nearly the same as a wizard, but better combat skills!