Thread: Gradually dying in the Tower of Eternal Flames (ToEF). What am I missing here?

Unhappy Gradually dying in the Tower of Eternal Flames (ToEF). What am I missing here?

Save file of my character in the ToEF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7eqp5tmng5...u_tah.svg?dl=0

Two rings of Fire resistance, both blessed.
    Elemental Gauntlets, blessed.
    I'm still ticking damage virtually every round. Tried removing the Gauntlets (in case they, I dunno, block the effectiveness of the rings. I don't actually believe that's a thing, but gotta be thorough.)

I have only one corruption: sweat blo---... Sweat blood. Sweat. Blood. Dang. That's it, isn't it.

Hold on...

Nope. I just removed that corruption and it's still ticking down my health. Here's a copy of my save file AFTER I'd removed Sweating Blood, noticed it was still ticking down, left the tower, healed up, re-entered, and am still losing health: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qifrep7f8...u_tah.svg?dl=0

Could it be a bug? Something else I haven't accounted for? Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

You need four sources of fire resistance to nullify the damage completely. OR you need intrinsic fire resistance + two more. You have three sources, so you take 1 damage per turn (or maybe every other turn). You should get intrinsic fire resistance or the Shield of Raw Steel.
    Last edited by Kyreles; 01-16-2016 at 05:03 AM.
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreles View Post
    You need four sources of fire resistance to nullify the damage completely. OR you need intrinsic fire resistance + two more. You have three sources, so you take 1 damage per turn (or maybe every other turn). You should get intrinsic fire resistance or the Shield of Raw Steel.
    Wow, really? Is that new? I thought I remember years ago that 2 blessed rings of fire resistance were enough. I wonder if that changed at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterSkittles View Post
    Wow, really? Is that new? I thought I remember years ago that 2 blessed rings of fire resistance were enough. I wonder if that changed at some point.
    It has been that way at least since 1.0.0. 2 rings are enough if you have inner fire resistance [intrinsic counts for two sources].
    Just cast few healing spells and hope for some drake/dragon/giant to drop a corpse.

Immune to Pain (talent) helps too. IIRC you only need two sources of -fire to negate the damage then.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

ToEF is often reason for me to spend my early game wish for Red dragon scale mails. Having 1 item with fire immunity helps a lot.

But yeah, try get fire resistance from a corpse at least before you try ToEF. It's hard to get 4 pieces of resistance from gear.

It's something like:

No res: around 8 damage per turn
    1 res: 3-5 damage per turn
    2 res: 1-2 damage per turn
    3 res: 1 damage every other turn
    4 res: safe

These are estimated on my experience. Not thoroughly tested.

IIRC fire immunity only counts for 2 sources of resistance and you still need items to boost the count. Can anyone confirm.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Immunity means 0 dmg. Unless you are a drakeling, then your excessive speed cause you damage.

Intrinsic fire resist counts for 2 sources.

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterSkittles View Post
    They are almost always enough, because you almost always get intrinsic fire resistance from some fire beetle, lizard, drake or baby dragon before the ToEF, and that counts like two sources. But this time it seems like you didn't eat enough fire creatures (or lost the intrinsic from a pool).

Fortunately, the ToEF itself is brimming with fire creatures. So if you have enough means of healing to clear at least the first level (I'm assuming you don't have regeneration), I'd be surprised if you weren't immune when you climb the stairs. I've done it a couple of times when I was in that situation.