Thread: Precrowning and other changes

Default Precrowning and other changes

I played ADOM years ago, and I recently started again with the Steam version. I remember there was a guidebook that gave all the information you could ever want or need back then, but it seems to be out of date at this point. The changelog doesn't seem to be very specific. Is there anywhere else I can see what kind of balance and game play changes have been made in the past few years?

Also, has there been any change to the requirements for pre/postcrowning? I'm pretty sure I haven't missed any artifacts, but I can't seem to get a second precrowning with my level 12 mist elf wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonyone View Post
    I played ADOM years ago, and I recently started again with the Steam version. I remember there was a guidebook that gave all the information you could ever want or need back then, but it seems to be out of date at this point. The changelog doesn't seem to be very specific. Is there anywhere else I can see what kind of balance and game play changes have been made in the past few years?

Also, has there been any change to the requirements for pre/postcrowning? I'm pretty sure I haven't missed any artifacts, but I can't seem to get a second precrowning with my level 12 mist elf wizard.
    Changelog is actually specific, but one needs to sort through all links to fixed issues, which is rather painful. Part of problem is some things have been changed forth and back (summoners, and summons dropping items for example)

For some clear cut questions you can check wiki. In general let me think....

Stat potentials are respected by any sort of training and most corpses (proper undead have a chance to raise To through potential and Stone giants work on Strength, burdening does not go through potential).
    Precrowns are mostly unchanged (gods take just 10 stoma although)
    Casting from HP abuses Toughness and Willpower very severely.
    Scrolls required Literacy to read at somewhat decent level, but I have not failed with a scroll for a while, probably rebalanced.
    No teleport control (reliable) in Dark Forge until Kherab is dead.
    Ice queen domain (whole of bunch stuff to do including greater vault, all accessed before ToEF).
    Monsters who can't see in Darkness actually move in Darkness.
    Disablers like wand of paralyzation, potions of blindness nerfed (cursed pots of invisibility work just fine, by the way) in regards to serious bosses.
    Exploits like pick pocketing gremlins, making wish engines (via rings), doubling gold with dragons, shop kick robbing removed.
    Monster generation somewhat changed (few times -- generates more higher end monsters, Ogre magi and chaos knights are more common or example, so need cold resist in UD and will get enough pick axes/wands of digging later on).
    Missiles break at alarming rate
    Background corruption has been severely reduced and is influenced by Appearance.

Probably forgot another five-six important features....
    Last edited by Soirana; 01-21-2016 at 10:27 AM.

There is a possible bug about precrowning. First one works fine, but second one, if you try with live sacrifices, piety goes down faster than you can drag monsters to altar. I think someone even opened a thread about it in issue management forum.

This could be the case why you fail getting precrowned second time. Other possibility is that a random artifact generated somewhere and you didn't pick it up or find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Probably forgot another five-six important features....
    The most important ones that come to my mind are:
    - Uberjackal effect fixed, level scaling still exists but you no longer need to worry about dying to absurdly OP jackals or spiders in the late game.
    - A bunch of random dungeons added, also accessible before the ToEF.
    - Minotaur maze rewards buffed (then nerfed, but still they are somewhat better than they used to be in 1.1.1)
    - First aid buffed, is now a very useful skill.
    - Seven league boots nerfed, both in their power and in only getting one pair per wish. No longer wish-worthy in most situations IMO.
    - Summoners nerfed, they summon fewer creatures now.
    - ACW nerfed, but SfB and ASB buffed. I don't remember if they did anything to Yulgash or Nuuraag-Vaarn.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    I don't remember if they did anything to Yulgash or Nuuraag-Vaarn.
    I think they did and then undid.

Both were allowed to teleport on they levels, which lead to situations of player reading scroll of agravate monster to draw them out bypassing rest of temple. I did not have a chance to play before things were reverted back.

Pages 1 and 2 of this thread contain further details about what's changed since 1.1.1.
    "And light there be!"

Lots of good information here, thanks guys!

Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.