Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think about further class specialization?

I'd like to see Weaponsmiths get something with ego weapons.

Creating fully custom ego weapons might be too good (everything would just be wicked X of devastation). Maybe the ability to add either a prefix or a suffix to a weapon or not both? Or to swap prefixes or suffixes on existing weapons for other ones? Or maybe to give a random prefix or suffix?

@Soirana good points both. Just to say at both OP and Soirana, I'm not horribly against specializations. I just feel it needs to be done correctly. I would actually argue that different perks should still avoid being overly specific. They should be vague while still being distinct. A fighter could pick between a PV bonus and reduced attack energy cost. A bard could choose between increased weapon skills or having their companions get a significant speed boost.

The ideal should be that no matter how you are built, both chooses remain interesting and engaging. Otherwise you're going to be faced with false options and so on. If this were implemented in such a way, where the choices are fairly general and universal while still fitting the class, then I'm for it.

Also, your second point about the speed of races and classes being added...

I'm actually convinced these resources would still be better applied there. While I do not know the amount of data allocated to each class and race, stat wise I can't see it being all that much(especially for races). Just copy paste the closest race or class, tweak the data, and you're on business. At least that's what I did when I did mods for other games.

Class features are the wild card as they would require entirely new code, and in the case of stacking modifiers would require bugtesting and stuff...especially for stuff like a fighter PV bonus since its ongoing. But with that being said, adding 7 or 8class features is still *much* easier than adding new variations. Its a case of 7 new abilities vs 154 new abilities on TOP of the framework for selecting them and an interface as well.

Again, I'm not outright against it if implemented correctly, but in the time to create that you could crank out like 10 races. Not that you would necessarily, but I for one would rather love to see Black Hurthlings and Quicklings and Pixies.

Honestly, I think we have too many races but that's just me. The problem I see is that many existing class powers are really useless.
    With specializations, this would change because a rework would be necessary and some brainstorming.
    Perhaps it would be enough to do some work on class powers already there.
    One thing I don't know is if TB has the same approach to class powers as he has towards class differences - i.e. some classes suck hard compared to others, thus some class powers are deliberately less useful than others.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

One thing I don't know is if TB has the same approach to class powers as he has towards class differences - i.e. some classes suck hard compared to others, thus some class powers are deliberately less useful than others.

A valid thought - Some may also be simply outdated - for instance the resistance to corruption some classes get is much less useful now that background corruption has significantly dropped for the first 90 days.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

Stuff like wizards gaining uncursing as class power... that's just silly with the abundance of scrolls, holy water and the remove curse spellbook.
    Farmers and their rations creation abilities are silly, even if thematically appropriate.

There are many more class powers that are useless or next to useless.
    Though, I don't think this is the right place to discuss that, at least not without TB's feedback on whether he agrees with players' appraisal of those elements of adom and is open to changes in that department.

I'm a bit of a purist in that I'm not sure all the game needs new content, but I think some of the ideas here could be rolled into a revamp of some of the class powers. Or put new stuff into a "choose one:" prompt when the chara would normally learn their power at L25.

Quote Originally Posted by psy_wombats View Post
    I'm a bit of a purist in that I'm not sure all the game needs new content, but I think some of the ideas here could be rolled into a revamp of some of the class powers. Or put new stuff into a "choose one:" prompt when the chara would normally learn their power at L25.
    Hmmm, this is a viable avenue of approach for this feature. It's more flexible I guess, since you don't need to do it for all chars or all class power thresholds.
    My head is ready to burst from all the ideas within, like giving assassins a choice of insta-kill monster type at level forty instead of the generic one - either humanoids, demons, undead or dragons.
    Even the class power names could be adjusted to reflect that - regular assassin, demonologist, holy executor, dragon slayer.
    I think stuff like this would add certain flavor for the roleplaying purposes and could be broadened in scope to encompass more classes in similar fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Stuff like wizards gaining uncursing as class power... that's just silly with the abundance of scrolls, holy water and the remove curse spellbook.
    Farmers and their rations creation abilities are silly, even if thematically appropriate.
    If those were given at level 6, they would actually be useful.
    "And light there be!"

I like the idea of adding this piecemeal to existing classes as your choice of L25 power.

If that gets implemented, the choices can be expanded to L32 power etc (or forced choice based on L25 power)

That way if we only get partial implementation, we still get something out of it.