Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Release model

Default Release model

Thomas, what release model are you going to adopt for JADE? Frequent, minor updates, or rare, sweeping changes? I think the first option would be ideal early on, to be able to catalog as many bugs as possible. Remember Linus' Law!

Default Release model

Quote Originally Posted by Scienceman123 View Post
    Thomas, what release model are you going to adopt for JADE? Frequent, minor updates, or rare, sweeping changes? I think the first option would be ideal early on, to be able to catalog as many bugs as possible. Remember Linus' Law!
    Very good question... I'm not quite sure actually and open for comments. There are two lines of thought which are influenced by one major technical thingy: As for JADE I'm not going to be overly concerned with save file compatibility (and world file compatibility once worlds can be saved), simply because this requires enormous effort when adding sweeping and fun changes to the game. Thus here are the two lines of thought:
    1. JADE will receive frequent updates. Just as frequently your save files will cease to work and your world files will become useless. This might exert an annoying amount of pressure on players and reduce satisfaction.
    2. JADE will release regular updates with a slow update rate, e.g. once every three or six months. Save files thus have a much longer durability.
    Option 3 (working continuously on save file and word file compatibility) for me really is not that much of an option since it would use up more time than I have (unless I find that mysterious billionaire willing to finance my life as a full-time ADOM & JADE developer ).

What do you think about those options above?
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

I vote for Obama............

I mean, option 1
    I never won a Adom game...

What about the commercial version of JADE? It's unreal yet?

It is possible to make a paid online game server. But I don't guess like what it can be. Ж)

My vote goes for option 1. If it will make working on JADE easier and less time consuming, IMO you shouldn't care about save file compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    My vote goes for option 1. If it will make working on JADE easier and less time consuming, IMO you shouldn't care about save file compatibility.
    +1 Because all save-scummers will finish game very quickly.

Option one all the way. I'm fine ditching a game in progress if there's bugs to be fixed or new features to have fun with. As mentioned, you're going to die often anyway, so losing a save file doesn't really matter.

im for option 1 ;>

Option 1 all the way. I never knew one even tried to use savefiles between versions, I always figured, "new version, time to start a new game". So yeah, more features = more fun.

Option number 1. Thumbs up