Thread: Find Weakness

Default Find Weakness

Alright, so I have a crowned Trollish Barbarian with Vanquisher, which means he already critically hits most things. Does this mean that Find Weakness would be a useless skill? I have a Wand of Wishing that I do not really need for anything special, so would Find Weakness be a good choice for a wish (Meaning, does the critical hit damage stack?) Thanks to everyone who responds!

Here is something about slaying properties undertaken at the newsgroup.

http://groups.google.de/group/rec.ga...e07182ca0fff1d
    Suddenly a stream of acid pours down from the ceiling! The cute dog is horribly mutilated by the acidic fluids! The cute dog dies!

What is attributed to stacking slaying and critical could just be because of the fact that slaying ammunition (possibly slaying weapons too) can deal anywhere between double and five times (six?) the damage, not just double. One could probably try and test the frequency of getting higher multipliers with 100 Find Weakness, in case it really is because of crits and slaying stacking.

I'd say that there is no need to wish for Find Weakness if you have Vanquisher, as it is easily powerful enough to serve your purposes even if Find Weakness criticals stacked with it. Consider wishing for something else, or just stashing the wish in case you need it later.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Wouldn't casting from teh wand of wishing drain a random stat as well?

No it won't since wand of wishing acts like multiple RoDS's. The spells drains and if you are unlucky enough to get wish from a wand of wonder it drains (at least best to my knowledge). If you use wand of wishing remember that you can get the final charge out of it.

Probably worth wishing for rings of slaying (if you have none) or a girdle of giant strength to maximise your productivity from Vanquisher.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I actually need to keep on my Girdle of Greed to carry as much as I can, since trollish barbarians can not cast spells, so no Girdle of Giant Strength (unless there is a better way to increase carrying capacity). I have a ring of slaying already. Do they add to critical hit chances? It says that it adds 6 melee and missile weapon damage as far as I can tell. Thanks to everyone for the responses!

> unless there is a better way to increase carrying capacity

Reduce your inventory. If you sort through it right now,
    I almost guarantee you will find some stuff worth using
    right now (scrolls of defense/protection, PoGA's), stuff
    that should be stored for later (SoCR's), and stuff that
    should be sold immediately (Si's, extra armor, etc...).
    Would you believe that there are some players (*cough*,
    Silfir) who even fight major bosses without first using
    their PoGA's? Just plain crazy.
    Last edited by gut; 08-01-2009 at 08:32 AM.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

You should've seen my inventory after the victory I just got. I had sooo much stuff I never used but kept on the off chance I might want to use it, such as extra wands and potions. I think in the future I may try to cut down on the inventory chaff so as to not drive myself crazy when I'm trying to find that one \oMonster Detection or something.
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

To be fair, it was not that I was saving the PoGAs, I just plain forgot to use them. I do shit like that all the time.

About wishes, I'm the kind of guy who is very, very susceptible to Too Awesome To Use. Really though, before you spend a wish on an item that is not even rare (I find rings of slaying, like, all the time) I'd rather save it.
    Last edited by Silfir; 08-01-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.