Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me crown!

Default Please help me crown!

I'm a level 20 High Elf Archer that simply cannot get enough piety to crown.

I've got to 2 pre crowns (brannalbin's cloak and serpents bite = very nice combo) but now it seems that nothing I do gives me enough piety to get crowned.

I've just spent like 30 mins real time in the tomb of the high kings 4th floor live saccing everything and the closest I've got is "very close".

What am I doing wrong? Should I just save up a bunch of gold and trying sacrificing that? I did 30k plus earlier and it didn't help....

Can anyone help?

Just pray. Last time I did 2 precrownings the message didn't change from "very close". I prayed out of boredom and got my crowning.

3rd precrowning costs like 180k piety or something, but you can get it earlier randomly on some probability. My impression is that crowning itself requires considerably less piety but the message will not change unless you get up to 3rd precrown levels.
    Wins:
    Fated Hurthling Weaponsmith Paragon | Mist Elf Steel Wizard | Gnome Wizard UCG | Dark Elf Beastfighter | Titanium Gnome Bard (w/ L548 giant boar)
    Troll Healer ULE

Might be the bug where piety message doesn't update from very close to favors and/or favors greatly and then absolute.
    That sometimes happens, especially with 2 precrowns. Like others mentioned, just pray and see what happens.
    Usually it turns out you have enough piety to be crowned.
    Otherwise prayer without effect costs next to nothing so don't worry about that.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I agree that you should probably just try to pray assuming you're at the correct alignment. I think the problem is basically this: Prayer costs increase based on the number of times you've done it, but they change for each specific prayer type. Crowning and precrown are different kinds of prayers, but the levels change based on the number of precrowns you've got. So, for example (made up numbers)

0 precrowns
    Very close = 10000
    Favours = 20000
    Extremely favours = 25000
    Precrown = 30000
    Crown = 30000

1 Precrown
    Very close = 10000
    Favours = 30000
    Extremely favours = 40000
    Precrown = 50000
    Crown = 30000

2 Precrown
    Very close = 20000
    Favours = 50000
    Extremely favours = 80000
    Precrown = 100000
    Crown = 30000

So even though you're seeing "Very close" you still have enough piety to crown.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Thanks so much for the responses.

For clarity, I know of the bug where the piety messages don't update. This is not the issue. I've preyed for the Crown (with full hp etc) and only get the unanswered message.

Sometimes, I go back down to "spiritually invincible" but mostly I stay at "very close".

I thought that maybe I was losing piety while waiting for monster spawns so instead of w5 I've been using a holy symbol. Still similar results. I just can't seem to raise piety high enough...

Edit: I am also the correct alignment
    Last edited by ghwc; 01-29-2016 at 11:11 PM.

It's because your piety decays faster than you are sacrificing. Piety decay occurs faster the more pre crowns you do. You need either a vast amount of gold or a few garbage artifacts if you want to crown.

Erm, I've never gone that high with pre/crowning as I generally cap at just 2 due to artifacts encountered, but I do know that the w5 method is actually quite inefficient.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but if you're on a level too long, spawn rates will decrease. Its possible you've been w5ing too long. Also, sometimes enemies will get clustered on the other side of the dungeon for one reason or another(webs, doors, etc), and waiting will take a ridiculous amount of time. Rather than doing that, go running around luring monsters to chase you and running back to the altar. It's a lot more micromanagement, but it allows you to be aware of hangups that are slowing enemies from reaching so you can deal with them quickly. Also, you'll get piety faster running laps like that.

ALSO, where the altar sits on the level can be a factor as well. Have you tried using a couple wands of digging to open up more routes to the altar?

If you're seeing piety fall down to spiritually invincible then there's 2 possibilities - either your piety is just not that high (near low end of very close) or you've prayed too much and an unanswered prayer is costing a massive amount. In either case, you should accumulate a large amount of piety before trying to pray again - like 50k golds' worth after reaching very close.

Edit: by praying too much I mean over a dozen times (with no response).
    Last edited by zliplus; 01-30-2016 at 04:08 AM.
    Wins:
    Fated Hurthling Weaponsmith Paragon | Mist Elf Steel Wizard | Gnome Wizard UCG | Dark Elf Beastfighter | Titanium Gnome Bard (w/ L548 giant boar)
    Troll Healer ULE

Thanks once more for all the help guys

I've never had this issue before. I'm convinced the root cause is my level. Normally, I if I go for a precrown I do this early and then get crowned as soon as I get extream alignment. This game I got two pre crowns that carried me from level 12 or so in the terinyo area all the way through dwarf town quests. I sorta forgot about getting crowned and maybe I'm just not used to how hard it is to build piety this late (very rarely go for post crowns due to artifact generation).

It may also be that I've tried so many times that an unanswered prayer costs a great deal now...

I think I'm gonna go and grab the syth below dwarf town, let me gold build up along with some si and maybe get the phial too. Try saccing all at once.

Are there any other easy to get artifacts I could use? I've done the pyramid so I have ancient mummy wrapping but not sure I wanna dispose of these...