Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Points-based generation discussion (R65)

Honestly, with a lot of the proposed changes to ADOM I often feel fixing what exists is better than replacing. Adoms stat generation is pretty good. But it also means players have absolutely no control. If the question system worked better it would solve the problem. Too many questions have illogical answers which seem to boost unrelated stats. Look at the question where your cottage is on fire. You get some really random stats from that one...

I've done my best to summarise the criticisms and suggestions from this discussion in this RFE. I have left out most of my desire for a more min-max, powergame system as this seemed unpopular and contrary to the creator's vision.

So I've been reading through the discussion and mulling it over. It sounds like you guys want a way to combine minmaxing with some degree of randomization without having it be the same every time. Well, if I can make an exceedingly stupid suggestion...

There was a game called EYE: divine cybermancy which came out a few years back. I didn't much care for it, but it had a lot of good ideas with absolutely horrible execution. One of them involved stats being determined by random rune type things. I'm kind of beating around the bush but what if instead of buying attributes directly, you purchased "training"?

For example. Strength Training 1 would give +2 strength. Strength training 2 would give +2 strength and -1 dex. Strength training 3 would give +3 strength, -1 dex, -1 toughness, and +1 will This is because actual strength training often comes at great cost to flexibility IRL. Of course they do stretching and stuff, but body builders make physical strength their primary goal. As the player spends points to dedicate to this training, the bulking and cutting means they become more and more muscular and less fatty(a cost to toughness), but the strict training regimen increases their will because it takes a lot of work to keep to it.

But if a character such as a duelist prefers a different style of training, they could go for...

Fencers Training 1 which gives 2 dex, 1 strength, and -1 toughness. Fencers training 2 gives another 2 dex, 1 strength, 1 perception, but -2 toughness. Fencers Training 3 would give 2 dex, no strength, +2 perception, and -1 toughness. All this because fencers training requires a good chunk of muscle, but beyond a certain point they focus exclusively on speed. As they continue training their muscles develop a bit more, but they start to become supremely fast and acutely perceptive of enemy weaknesses.

Sorry if I rambled, but a point buy where you buy "skills" which determine attributes could solve the dilemma. Obviously these skills have no effect except on attribute generation(and maybe some notes in background)

Quote Originally Posted by Garresh View Post
    So I've been reading through the discussion and mulling it over. It sounds like you guys
    For me it sounds a lot like discussion of whether having three charges of wishing wand was enough in exploration mode. Which means, that half of problem is people trying to think what would be good for other players and getting carried away.

I haven't heard any claims that putting extra 39 charges hurt anyone, similarly I believe having mode in which player could mini-max troll wizard would not be an issue (probably with precautions like no score). But I fancy sandbox style approach in most games anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    I haven't heard any claims that putting extra 39 charges hurt anyone, similarly I believe having mode in which player could mini-max troll wizard would not be an issue (probably with precautions like no score). But I fancy sandbox style approach in most games anyway.
    With no score I don't mind if a character can start with 99 in everything, but as far as I understand, all this discussion is about kosher mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    With no score I don't mind if a character can start with 99 in everything, but as far as I understand, all this discussion is about kosher mode.
    People were severely against putting more charges for exploration mode, although.

I am contemplating RFE of allowing something like unlimited point allocation to go with options as no corruption, no hunger, lots of loot, etc.... I mean turning of corruption and hunger were also promised options of deluxe version and everyone seems to be happy with the being in no score territory, right?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    People were severely against putting more charges for exploration mode, although.

I am contemplating RFE of allowing something like unlimited point allocation to go with options as no corruption, no hunger, lots of loot, etc.... I mean turning of corruption and hunger were also promised options of deluxe version and everyone seems to be happy with the being in no score territory, right?
    Sounds like a good rfe imo.
    I am a bit curious though, does anyone use the no hunger/corruption options? I played with them for about a minute, then I never touched it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Sounds like a good rfe imo.
    I am a bit curious though, does anyone use the no hunger/corruption options? I played with them for about a minute, then I never touched it again.
    On Steam there were complaints about inability to turn corruption of, with very pissed guy (finally appeared he was dragging crown of chaos with him and attributing results to background corruption).

So some play apparently. Ofcourse if background corruption was not nerfed, I think that option would be a lot more popular.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I definitely don't mind if all those options are introduced as long as it's in modes with no score.

There is not much qualitative difference between starting with a wand of wishing of 42 charges, 666 charges, no corruption, max stats, etc. Either you play with the standard rules and boast about your score, or you use options to make your own rules and then you have all the fun you want but your result is not comparable with other players in a competitive setting.

To be honest if it were my decision none of these options would have been introduced at all, but as we do have some, we might as well have them all.