Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst Followers?

Default Best and Worst Followers?

Post your best follower moments and worst follower moments.

I'll start with something I just had happen in a game with a level 19 necro. I'd been putting off using slaves for a while because I didn't feel like starting with that hassle til I found good corpses, but I got my hands on 2 scrolls of familiar summoning. I went to the small cave and got a Kiri-run and a Giant Rust Monster. They both proceeded to chew through the SMC and UD with no problems. But on level 7 I pool sipped and got permanent invisibility. For some reason, Rusty had no problems following me, but Kiri kept getting confused. I also had teleportitis(controlled) and this was somehow resetting his AI. Anyways, I got annoyed and just went to clear a few rooms and go grab him after. In a shockingly short span of time he forgot about me, and was hostile when I got back. After blasting me with a spell for 70 damage he got annihilated in a flurry of 7 attacks by rusty.

Rusty then went on to clear the Darkforge and kill Kherab by himself, but was almost killed by the crown of science room. It had a blindness trap and multiple fireball traps, so he followed me into the crown room, and then proceeded to stagger from trap to trap for like 20 turns til I got desperate and teleported him, hoping to catch up with him. I had to throw like 7 potions at him to get him back to stability.

Anyways, anyone got some funny stories about followers?

Hmm...

Used a scroll of familiar summoning on ToEF:4. Got an ancient karmic dragon. Figured he might be able to tank the ACW for a few hits and weaken him a bit before he dies. Karmic dragon kills the ACW in 1 hit.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I summoned a greater earth elemental in DH2.
    Went to dfg to make it kill the golems and kherab.
    The golems went just fine but kherab critically wounded the GEE before dying, the GEE panicked, turned hostile and crit-threw a huge rock at me, killing me instantly.
    I was a 9 To wizard at level ~14 or so... not much HP.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I saved two scrolls for D:50 with my paladin. 1st one got me Greater Earth Elemental which pretty much destroyed everything (with the help of my Justifier) I didn't need the second scroll. I usually skip the pets/companions because it's annoying to explore with them. If they would automatically seek PC if he gets far or teleports that would be much better. Especially fast PC and slow pet is horrible combination.

Once I got stuck in a GV with a fire giant king companion. I ran out of every offensive power I had, was badly drained and was taking damage like crazy. I had to resort to alchemy in between regenerating enough PP for occasional spell.

My companion finally caught to me (somewhat, but at least I was able to see him) and I figured I can shoot a fire bolt into the corridor with him to clear a path and he was resistant anyway. He resisted the bolt, swapped with all the monsters in the corridor one by one without any delay and tore me to shreds.

In my opinion pretty much all (positive and negative) ADOM companion mechanics are broken in one way or another. Unfortunately nobody cares.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

My favorite companion is a GEE. I always name him Mr. Grumbles and it's a 50/50 shot that he will one day slaughter me. I summoned one on D50 with a character that clearly would've won anyway... if not for an unfortunate beehive causing him to accidentally shoot his buddy with a missile. Don't mix Missiles + companions, kids, it's dangerous. Also there should be a message of warning but there isn't. Sigh.

I've also had a quickling lord undead slave kill nurgy while I was only like level 23... He then proceeded to panic and slaughter me which was probably for the best since I had no methods for D50.

... I tend to avoid companions nowadays. They're good flavor at times but cause a few too many problems - create dependency and underleveling due to stealing exp, awkward mechanics, having to wait for/find them, and the small yet always possible risk of death.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

I had a human assassin that generated a greater moloch companion. It was fun for a while and he helped clear the ToEF, but having a speedy assassin and a speed:70 pile of armor as a companion was getting to be a drag. Plus he'd probably backstab me at some point and kill me before I noticed he'd turned. So why not backstab him first?

Now I have a highscore entry where Grim the L30 human assassin or something was killed by Kickass, the greater moloch.

hard to go past the old killer bugs who didn't resist quite so much. An extremely experienced one killed every orb guardian in one hit (other than ACW). I got him absurdly experienced by farming the animated forest for like 50k turns.
    Wins:
    Gnome Assassin / Dwarven Paladin (ULE) / Ratling Duelist (UNE) / High Elf Archer / Gnomish Wizard x ~5 / Gray Elven Wizard (UCG) - Archmage / Gnomish Weaponsmith / Grey Elf Elementalist / Dwarven Priest / Trollish Barbarian / Drakling Farmer / Mist Elf Wizard / Human Beastfighter / Ratling Archer (UNE) / Gnomish Mindcrafter

Classes Left
    Many!

Request of feature: Rust Monsters should do extra damage to iron / steel golems. (and steel zombies)

The best I kept all game was Giant Boar. That thing killed everything from ToEF onwards. Except d50 (deployed two GEE in that place).

From my eternium attempts/testing clay statue got to the point of 10 attacks 30 each at merely ~lv90....
    Last edited by Soirana; 02-02-2016 at 07:11 AM.