Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Started with a spellbook of wish

Default Started with a spellbook of wish

I started a dark elven wizard which had a spellbook of frost bolt and wish in her inventory, i left the spellbook of wish in the very first dungeon. If i am to make it past the early game, what steps should i take torwards becoming an archmage?

Quote Originally Posted by KnightGranham View Post
    I started a dark elven wizard which had a spellbook of frost bolt and wish in her inventory, i left the spellbook of wish in the very first dungeon. If i am to make it past the early game, what steps should i take torwards becoming an archmage?
    Summary

Wizards have guaranteed Wish book in Library, so I would not force archmage issue.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Summary

Wizards have guaranteed Wish book in Library, so I would not force archmage issue.
    I'm more interested in the modern ToTRR / mana orb true archmage methods, and what happens if my stats get drained 1<

I'm more interested in the modern ToTRR / mana orb true archmage methods, and what happens if my stats get drained 1<
    Well, it isn't that hard actually, get your mana up to the max, pick up every piece of armor (yes even clothes) for the of power or of life enchantments, being l+ helps a lot, and get all the bookcasting talents. As a wizard you can drain wands twice with mana battery, and if you need more hp then set up a gremlin bomb near jharod, cast light and heal away. (Doesn't count as you who damaged them when you cast light)
    So, if l+, cast on silvernight. With 2 spellbooks you can use up 1 book then get 1 reading from the 2nd, each casting from memory uses ~250 memory so bookcast for "power" use mana orb to regen pp, bookcast for scrolls of chaos resist, repeat. If your stat drains get you below the ability to bookcast, you can cast it as normal with your extra spell knowledge.

Forgot to tell you; casting from hp uses a *lot* of satiation!! You can starve to death in 1 casting if you aren't super bloated all the time.
    Last edited by Blank4u47; 02-04-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Mana orb is covered in that link as well as all known modern methodology. (ToTRR is nothing but initial mana bonus, which can be covered in the initial stage by mana boost potions)
    At some point all your stats are at one (except mana if you use orb). Part of the challenge is to... well, keep book-casting wish at this point.
    Last edited by Soirana; 02-04-2016 at 01:12 PM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I'm about to complete my first (and last - all that wishing is TEDIOUS) archmage, and yeah the mana orb makes it really easy.

The ToTRR also helps a lot on getting your starting Mana up to 99 (the Mana orb will over time peg your mana to 99 since you gain 3 Mana per use and lose only about 1 per wish (you lose 10 from a random stat, but it's often not Mana).

As Blank said, wish for power to quickly get yourself out of HP cast range.
    Also, be prepared to not wander the wilderness while your stats are all at 1 - bring everything you need(stomafillia, etc) with you when you start your silvernight book casting.

Edit:
    As far as surviving the early game, I think you should sell that book of Wish for a lot of money and use it to buy stuff. You can always buy it back later. (And there's the free one in the Library)

Wish draining attribute at 1 point will not kill you but has a chance to lower stat potential.

If you use Mana Orb Mana will generally keep itself in the high values as you get -10 Mana per 9 wishes on average (when your pool is only enough for 1 wish) and restore 27 by using Mana Orb. When you get enough PP to bookcast twice and thrice, Mana will generally diminish much faster but at this point it's irrelevant.

Anyway, as Blank said:
    1) get enough HP/PP, stack on blessed stoma, blessed satiation scrolls and holy water
    2) eat blessed stoma, wait till satiated and eat another one -or- read a couple of scrolls (this is the most important part, be careful around satiation)
    3) bookcast wish
    4) replenish HP, use Mana orb with elemental gauntlets
    5) repeat until necessary

Your first wishes should be for "power" and "scrolls of corruption removal". Alternate wishes according to your alignment (neutral - more scroll wishes, lawful - more power wishes).
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

The best thing to do is sell that spellbook ASAP. You can get very good value for it, and it will be protected from destruction. You won't need it for a very long time.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Look out for rooms that say "The atmosphere of this room makes your skin tingle!"
    They offer 20% reduction on casting costs.
    This feature stacks with mana battery reduction for a total of 40%, which is not much less than silverlight and has the added benefit that you can use it any time instead of waiting for silvernight.
    As for the spellbook at such an early stage of the game, it's what Jelly said - sell it, preferably in HMV since prices there are much better than in bandit town.
    It will be a long time before you need it so you might as well use the gold instead.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

But maybe wait until you've cleared a path to HMV first so that it won't be lost to trap destruction?