Thread: Differentiation of Undead Slaves

Default Differentiation of Undead Slaves

Well, since I seem to be posting all sorts of question threads lately, here's another one that's kind of tricky.

Going over all of the various Necromancer slaves, it seems like some are strictly superior to others. Take a level 6 necromancer, for instance. They can raise Skeletons, Zombies, and Ghuls. Going by the wiki(which is not perfectly accurate I realize), it would appear that there is no reason not to choose Ghuls. The costs are all the same, so why not?

As you go down the list, many of the choices seem to be worth skipping. Shadows don't look particularly useful(I could be mistaken), and Corpse Fiends are a little more durable than Ghuls, but not by much. I haven't looked at the later stuff very much(haven't made it that far with a Necro yet), but I'm getting the feeling that for the most part you're gonna just be rezzing ghuls and not much else, until Lich becomes accessible.

Am I horribly wrong here? I haven't found any guides or info on Necromancer slaves, so I'm kind of hoping you guys can prove my assumptions wrong.

I think you don't find many guides for necro slaves because (at least in my opinion) it's just not worth it outside of novelty purposes. Yes, you can make a quickling queen vampire, but it'll just suck all your xp, and you can't even bring it to the final gate. Anyways, ghuls are better than a lot of other types of undead you can make, but their damage output and defense won't let them last far outside early game. By the time you hit mid game, you really won't need the help from slaves because you'll have many awesome spells at your disposal.

Edit: skeleton warriors are pretty decent, and giving them bones heals them.

Pretty much the only worthwhile slaves are ghuls, skeleton warriors, and liches. Wraiths and ghosts can pass through walls, which can be moderately useful at times as well.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

That's disappointing. I was hoping to make a necro and get myself a nice hoard, but it does sound as though necros are just bad wizards when you put it like that.

Man I'm trying to find a new class to obsessively play, cause winning with the same class twice sounds boring, and I keep seeing things a bit offputting about them. I suppose bards are still on the table since their companions are not as crucial and they get that weird tendency to be good at random stuff. Thieves are fun but they're just so weak Im not sure I can stomach it. Ah well. I'll keep experimenting with things til I find something that grabs my attention.

Necros are soooo much better than wizards! You gotta use shadow touch though. Imagine; you have 1500 pp, 99 mana and you can refill it just by killing a dragon in unarmed melee!

Quote Originally Posted by Garresh View Post
    That's disappointing. I was hoping to make a necro and get myself a nice hoard, but it does sound as though necros are just bad wizards when you put it like that.

Man I'm trying to find a new class to obsessively play, cause winning with the same class twice sounds boring, and I keep seeing things a bit offputting about them. I suppose bards are still on the table since their companions are not as crucial and they get that weird tendency to be good at random stuff. Thieves are fun but they're just so weak Im not sure I can stomach it. Ah well. I'll keep experimenting with things til I find something that grabs my attention.
    What have you already won with?

Depending on what you like to play, here's some suggestions:
    -Archer: Easy but fun class. Ancardia's equivalent of the Maxim gun... grab a bunch of missiles and hold down T. For weird and wonderful results, try playing an off-race like a drakeling or troll.
    -Chaos Knight: Very, very different play experience from any other class. For double your fun, try a mist elf.
    -Beastfigher: Powerful class, needs little equipment to be effective.
    -Mindcrafter: Another class with a very different playstyle than normal. Tricky to learn, but a lot of people really love them.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Only got two wins. But I want to mix it up as much as possible. Both of my wins were absolute trainwrecks in the best possible way. I had a grey elven wizard and a ratling mindcrafter. Anyways I'm running with gnome necromancer cause why not. Speaking of, why can't followers go to D50?

But yeah, Mindcrafters are so far the most fun class I've ever played. They're just so insanely tricky, which I adore. I like the idea of running around skirmishing and being evasive, but archers just sound boring since they can just mow everyone down. If this necromancer goes well, I might try Monk next. Though at the rate this necro is going I'm not sure how its going to turn out. I got a quickling lord ghul who is just stomping everything and the game is becoming very easy, but he's also taking all of my exp so...we'll see.

Companions won't follow you onto d49, so you'll have to generate a new companion on d50.

Quote Originally Posted by Garresh View Post
    Speaking of, why can't followers go to D50?
    Nothing other than you may pass through D: 49. You can't lure monsters in, read a SoFS, wish for friends, raise slaves via necromancy, etc. It's either part of the level's lore, or something done to avoid programming NPC interaction with the icy floor
    "And light there be!"