Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware statues

Default Beware statues

With a promising dark elven barbarian, already crowned with Vanquisher, I stumbled upon a statue with this message:

You stumble upon a statue. It is made of some unnatural watery substance which streams without losing its form. The statue seems to be vaguely familiar to you. Suddenly you recognize your own eyes, albeit they seem older... different... and very blank. You stare at the eyes, but they never blink. You feel humiliated, as if your shadow stops following you. Except you seem to be the shadow here.
    I figured I'd try my luck and kick the statue. After all, my character is strong enough to deal with any possible negative effects, right? At worst, I'll be doomed, or get an undesirable corruption.

I wasn't expecting eighteen corruptions.

You are transformed into a creature of chaos leaving your previous existence behind.
    Check the wiki before you mess with statues, they can be game-enders if you're not careful.

Oh, hi there friend, join the club. I already did all I could to get attention on this stupidly strong statue. It might help if you bump the rfe that says to tone down the overpowered statues. Sorry about your character :/

For the record, the RFE can be found here and has my upvote too.
    "And light there be!"

whoever saw that and let it into the game? Instant death for kicking a statue sounded like a good idea? WTF...

Statues were added to the game without reviewing them first. I severely doubt TB would allow this instakill otherwise (same goes for the one resembling "a Commodore computer from the 80s", that's a major immersion breaker).

The dooming statue is also too harsh - find it in the early game with a melee PC, and you basically have a delayed game over.
    "And light there be!"

Dooming statue is OK - don't forget about Friday 13 "bonus" for starting characters, so it is in line with the more challenging starts.

I've fixed the statue in the first post, there was a bug in the implementation. I hope we can review the more dangerous ones before the next release.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    Dooming statue is OK - don't forget about Friday 13 "bonus" for starting characters, so it is in line with the more challenging starts.
    No, dooming statue is not OK.
    It's not in line with challenging starts for the sole reason of this not being a start, you can get randomly doomed in the early or mid game at the worst possible moment.
    Very not in-line with other things.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    No, dooming statue is not OK.
    It's not in line with challenging starts for the sole reason of this not being a start, you can get randomly doomed in the early or mid game at the worst possible moment.
    Very not in-line with other things.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Statues don't activate if they simply enter into your LOS, you have to deliberately enter their square and/or interact with them. So you can wait till you are reasonably able to deal with it.
    The greater problem is that you can't identify statue's effect without being hit by it. Something like http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=4220 or ability to test statues with monsters/slaves/ranged attacks/ranged spells is desperately needed.