Thread: Challenging things that aren't part of the Achievement system

Post Challenging things that aren't part of the Achievement system

There are a few things that aren't included in the achievements but I believe should be (and a few things that are that I believe shouldn't be but that's not this thread). Even if they are hidden and aren't part of the Adom-master 100 percent completion I think these would be valuable additions.

1. Beat the game with every race
    2. Beat the game with every class
    3. Get pre-crowned in the small cave (without gaining xp elsewhere)
    4. Get crowned in the small cave (same req.)
    5. Get the platinum girdle
    6. Rob the underwater cave and live
    7. Kill blups mom (or even harder get the water breathing intrinsic w/o being an elementalist)
    8. Talk to blups mom without the water breathing intrinsic and leave and live to tell about it.
    9. Rob the underwater cave at level 1 and live to tell about it.
    10. Speed-run based on time not number of moves. Maybe 5 hours (this is 1 hour less than my best time I think).

Ok. Maybe not the 9th one since it probably comes down to rolling a wizard with just the right gear but I think the others are legit. At least as much as level 50 in the small cave that's in there now.

I've done all but 2, 7 and 9 so I know they are feasible and enjoyable challenges.

I'm surprised #5 isn't already one.

Any others you think are missing? Comments on these?
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrnyx View Post
    Any others you think are missing? Comments on these?
    http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.c...n-in-adom.html

Wis with very class were considered and not implemented (under completionist).

Although some "victims" actually made it. (avatar of thieves and give&take).

Well, civ4 runs something like quartermaster's challenge (would be like win every type of victory, win with all clases, win with all races in Adom) in civ fanatics forums. i don't think anybody here would have desire and time to do something like that.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I find Thomas' achievement choice quite questionable, especially since the end result is slightly different from the post Soirana linked.

All these alignment&ultra achievements probably break a whole bunch of rules from those articles and require truckload of time. Dumping some somewhat grindy achievements in favor of "reach level 15 in unarmed combat"? I am not sure Thomas knows just how much time this thing requires.

Some brilliant ideas like "kill a dragon of each color" eschewed in favor of "kill a dragon" (which I understand can be a reference to many things but still).

And then we also include <foo> Man achievements -- some of them have absolutely no relevance to the usual course of the game and are mind-numbingly boring once you come up with a strategy. Sometimes the traditional elements do not work in a specific setting and there is no reason to include.

EDIT:
    Yeah, ranting aside, would be awesome to see some ideas already mentioned in one form or another.
    1) Platinum girdle should definitely be there
    2) Something about recovering boots of great speed - quickling tree is fairly interesting from strategy&preparation standpoint
    3) Killing Shys is also a great idea
    4) kill the ice queen?
    Last edited by _Ln_; 02-18-2016 at 02:59 PM.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

I don't like #10 (amount of real time). I'm often playing over lunch etc where I'm eating while I'm playing - I don't want to have to *rush* to play. This is a turn-based game, I'd like to keep it that way

I remember Stingray mentioning wanting to complete multiple "fate decides" runs in a row. That sounds like a solid achievement. We've got "complete 1 fate decides". A difficult one would be "win with 3 fate decides characters in a row". Difficult, but mostly based on player skill.

I like the boots of great speed idea.

1) Complete all of Kherab's quests?
    Not particularly hard, necessarily, but does point you to doing something you might not consider doing, if you're looking at achievement list.

Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    i don't think anybody here would have desire and time to do something like that.
    Well since I've been doing it unintentionally since my first win then intentionally after a while I would say I'm the exception to this however now that I've neared the end it is getting pretty tedious. Same 2 classes over and over...

I know that achievements can be hidden. Like you unlock them without knowing beforehand. I think if those were hidden achievements that didn't count towards progress of adom grand master they would be worth including.

Perhaps some listed could be included in a challenge game of the week format and there would be an achievement for completing one of those.

I didn't want this thread to be about what was included that shouldn't be but.... 5 ultras? 15 in unarmed? the man challenges especially A challenge that no one has beaten except via a cheese method that isn't even in the game anymore?!

True strength seems a better option...
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrnyx View Post

Well since I've been doing it unintentionally since my first win then intentionally after a while I would say I'm the exception to this however now that I've neared the end it is getting pretty tedious. Same 2 classes over and over...
    I meant not from players side, but as organized database with stable upkeeping and so. Kind of adom hall of fame site thing. It's not like Civ4 tracks any of it in game, you know, just some people in game's forums.

I find Thomas' achievement choice quite questionable, especially since the end result is slightly different from the post Soirana linked.
    It is not my dream list either, but I don't think it will change at this point.
    Last edited by Soirana; 02-18-2016 at 04:53 PM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

While Civ4 had no achievements (officially), Civ5 (which is available on Steam) does have them...hundreds of them, including every difficulty/civ/etc. I have to say, while I'm sure some people like it, I personally found the ridiculous number of achievements in that game more demotivating than not, especially since a lot of them are massive time wasters - completing a game on the hardest difficulty does not get you the achievements for lower difficulties, for example.
    Wins:
    Fated Hurthling Weaponsmith Paragon | Mist Elf Steel Wizard | Gnome Wizard UCG | Dark Elf Beastfighter | Titanium Gnome Bard (w/ L548 giant boar)
    Troll Healer ULE

+1 for Platinum Girdle and Quickling Tree.

Other ideas:
    - Win while lusting for blood with every melee attack
    - Become intrinsically immune to all 4 elements on a single character (maybe too grindy)

Not super hard but fit with the theme of a lot of other achievements:
    - Make a wish
    - Rob a royal vault

For the lv15 unarmed one, just do an ultra with a beastfighter I got it naturally visiting every location 1 time.

Quote Originally Posted by zliplus View Post
    While Civ4 had no achievements (officially), Civ5 (which is available on Steam) does have them...hundreds of them, including every difficulty/civ/etc. I have to say, while I'm sure some people like it, I personally found the ridiculous number of achievements in that game more demotivating than not, especially since a lot of them are massive time wasters - completing a game on the hardest difficulty does not get you the achievements for lower difficulties, for example.
    In the roguelike world, ToME is just like that... it has more than 1500 Steam achievements, but that is because each achievement is repeated 9 times (for various difficulty settings), and IIRC higher difficulty achievements don't automatically give you the lower difficulty ones (or at least it was that way when I played).

I have the same feeling as you... in theory it's not bad because it gives you more fine-grained information about what you have actually achieved, but in practice, psychologically, seeing the pitiful completion percentage after getting very far in the game is quite demotivating.