Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boss monsters that can actually kill you.

Default Boss monsters that can actually kill you.

Was playing a troll for the first time in forever, and ran into the boss dark sage guy, didn't actually see him, although I had 16 Pe so my line of sight was pretty good. He 1 shotted a lvl 13 troll necromancer had 70 hp and I see this yellow bolt come out of nowhere.... -19 hp. Wtf? That's 90 damage. I would've done just as well against a Titan. I was on D11 so that's pretty damned excessive.

Anyways, has anyone else had any deaths due to boss monsters? This is my first.

None so far. Vile spirits are way more dangerous, even if the former PC they're based on was not.
    "And light there be!"

I die almost every time a boss monster is generated in smc. Sometimes early game boss monsters can be troublesome, but late game they are really not that hard. Vile spirits are more dangerous yeah I turned them off from config file, because I got tired of dying on them at early levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    I've been killed by a boss monster with a poison attack. The poison was dealing extremely high damage, over one hundred damage at once IIRC. That might have been fixed by now, not sure.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I was on my way to an altar to clear doom/curse and a boss berserker appeared. It paralyzed me on the first hit and I died. That was the only time.

I don't think I've died to a boss monster but I'm pretty sure I've ran into at least 1 that could have killed me. I dread the day where I run into the invisible acid vortex. I think the dangerous one I ran into was Ipse, the karmic doppelganger lord. And maybe I ran into Tourmaline but I can't remember how much of a problem she was. Or maybe Tourmaline was dangerous and Ipse was a pushover, one way or the other.

Ok-Ku-Lu Ogre magus. My bard just died in UD. I met this boss monster in a long corridor and I was bolted down pretty fast. Well Ogre maguses are pretty bad early game anyways, so boss version of course means pretty certain death, especially for weak bard.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Was playing a troll for the first time in forever, and ran into the boss dark sage guy, didn't actually see him, although I had 16 Pe so my line of sight was pretty good. He 1 shotted a lvl 13 troll necromancer had 70 hp and I see this yellow bolt come out of nowhere.... -19 hp. Wtf? That's 90 damage. I would've done just as well against a Titan. I was on D11 so that's pretty damned excessive.

I saw him, underestimated him, and a single bolt killed a PC I thought nothing at that point could have harm it.....I stopped to play few months after that, I remember..
    But nothing like to meet that damn Goblin (what was his name??) at level 1 in the SMC, usually a game over few turns after the start....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I saw him, underestimated him, and a single bolt killed a PC I thought nothing at that point could have harm it.....I stopped to play few months after that, I remember..
    But nothing like to meet that damn Goblin (what was his name??) at level 1 in the SMC, usually a game over few turns after the start....
    Yep, I pretty much felt like killing my laptop, but it's already a Lenovo, so I figured that was punishment enough.

And yeah, huckree can be a pain in the ass, had to run from him and that kobold a few times. Main reason I always try to take long stride and quick talents.

Quote Originally Posted by pjsb1 View Post
    I don't think I've died to a boss monster but I'm pretty sure I've ran into at least 1 that could have killed me. I dread the day where I run into the invisible acid vortex. I think the dangerous one I ran into was Ipse, the karmic doppelganger lord. And maybe I ran into Tourmaline but I can't remember how much of a problem she was. Or maybe Tourmaline was dangerous and Ipse was a pushover, one way or the other.
    Someone met Tourmaline? Yay, my boss monster exists! :-)