Thread: Orc Archer spear thrower

Default Orc Archer spear thrower

so ever since the "old days" ive wanted to make a spear throwing character, but ive found spears are really underwhelming missile weapons. eternium spear is 1d4+8, same base die as a rock? really? at least make it 2d4 or 2d6 maybe in the future? anyone ever try a character like this? any advice?

Play raven, get the RCT as soon as you can.

Milking spear traps for a bunch of stacking spears is probably worth it. Yeah, the base damage on spears isn't spectacular, but on an archer it doesn't really matter much.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I havnt yet, but could be a fun challenge good news is there's a great guaranteed returning spear, available at lvl 25 if you are Raven born (I think I remember right?) Orc is a great choice because of str. And you'd probably have to spam the heck out of a trap to get a decent stack. Downside is a stack of 20 will weigh as much as an anvil!

Edit: ninja'd!

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    I havnt yet, but could be a fun challenge good news is there's a great guaranteed returning spear, available at lvl 25 if you are Raven born (I think I remember right?)
    It's actually 16, which means it's available before the tower is tackled by most characters - certainly makes the build a lot more viable.

great advice, i am playing raven, and am trying to get the RCT. i might try using halberds as thrown weapons too

I think most of the spear artifacts are actually decent at throwing, though only the RCT and ToTRR are returning. But Long Sting and Soaker, for example, both have quite high damage and ridiculous to-hit.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    It's actually 16, which means it's available before the tower is tackled by most characters - certainly makes the build a lot more viable.
    Oops! Thanks, it's been a while since I last got it early, if I remember right though, there can be super powerful enemies in the water cave, but teleporting is a good shortcut

halberds dont train thrown spears

another change id love to see, changes to missile weapon mark levels. make bows have more to-hit and range than rocks, make spears hit harder but with lower accuracy and range gains.

IMHO recent changes to throwing weapon destruction chance completely ruined already barely functional playstyle.

RCT is pretty much the only way if you want to do it.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.