Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vortex tactics

Default Vortex tactics

I hate vortices. For my next class to beat with a Mist elf, I'm playing a farmer. Every one I get past lvl 12 with seems to find a lightning vortex behind a door. One character was about to tackle darkforge at lvl 14 after beating the pyramid(trust me he was ready, had fire resist, ring of ice, DV/pv 48/24 and a mithril longsword of lightning), open door, bam! Vortex. I had exactly 1 move to make. I chose wand of missles for a double bounce. Nope! Had 42 hp went down to -19.

So... Here's my question, does anyone know of any strategies in dealing with those f***ers? Before now I thought I was pretty good at dealing with them, because I never died due to vortex, but it seems I need to step up my game a bit. Any suggestions would be nice, thanks!

Did you have shock resist?
    Wins:
    Fated Hurthling Weaponsmith Paragon | Mist Elf Steel Wizard | Gnome Wizard UCG | Dark Elf Beastfighter | Titanium Gnome Bard (w/ L548 giant boar)
    Troll Healer ULE

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    So... Here's my question, does anyone know of any strategies in dealing with those f***ers? Before now I thought I was pretty good at dealing with them, because I never died due to vortex, but it seems I need to step up my game a bit. Any suggestions would be nice, thanks!
    As a mist elf the first thing you want is a torc. Now, getting it early as a farmer is a little problematic, but thrown rocks and white necromancy might get you there. White necromancy will also help with putting something between you and a vortex.

Other than that... Speed helps but not against lightning - they are too fast. Invisibility helps, sometimes. Construct slayers, if you have any.

Nope, no shock resist of course. I tend to do the healer quest with farmers due to the early hatchet, so I can train bows very high early on due to tons of ammo. I honestly think invisibility was a great suggestion, I didn't even think to drink that potion.

+1 on black torc idea. It basically protects you against Fire, Lightning and Ice (due to extra speed) vortices. Farmers don't really need healing anyway, especially misty farmers.

Hatchet isn't really necessary... you can get ammo from barbarians just fine, or just use sticks for fletchery until you hit animated forest.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I'll give the torc idea a try then. I guess it's time to break out of a rut by always having healing. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    +1 on black torc idea. It basically protects you against Fire, Lightning and Ice (due to extra speed) vortices.
    How does it protect from lightning?

IMHO, unless you choose to be Raven born torc is not so hot option. Just install tp control, get wand, get spare booze and teleport out of vortex sight.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    How does it protect from lightning?
    By granting resistance to shock? The only element it does not protect from is acid.

It gives Fire and Lightning. It doesn't give cold, but ice vortices are super slow and usually easy to avoid.
    [edit]Nevermind, it does give cold as well. So yeah, eat ant + black torc gives all four resistances in the most straightforward way.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 04-06-2016 at 07:27 AM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Yeah, black torc has been a life saver many times, in my case against ogre magi and lightning lizards.
    Also potions of invisibility though vortices are amazing trackers.
    I second the notion of tele wand though - it's guaranteed and item detection is common.
    Get it early and just tele the fuck out of harm's way.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."