Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vortex tactics

I mention the ankh because it has left me at 1 HP from otherwise deadly vortex attacks several times (not sure if this effect comes from Fate Smiles or just from the sheer amount of luck, though).

Although having the appropriate resistance is probably more reliable.

Huh, I thought fate smiles only protected from criticals? And my previous characters died from vortices even with the ankh equipped.

My Guy's going good, I was hoping I'd get some equipment upgrades in FGJC's but no luck, however I do have 24 str now but my To is still capped at 12 sadly. Had to turn back, running out of spenseweed. Dwarftown time now I guess.

You don't need Fate to get a save vs. critical, AFAIK, but I'm pretty sure it only applies to melee critical hits, not to things like vortex explosions. I have a memory of reading the specific conditions somewhere (it's something like HP >35 + enemy critical, then luck roll), but I can't find the source at the moment.

If you've got a couple of PoEX, you might be able to fix that 12 To problem.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Yeah, I actually have 4 potions of ex. But I also have 2 potion shops, I figure I can wait a bit for a potion swap, I really enjoy the benefits of having 27 Ma.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Huh, I thought fate smiles only protected from criticals? And my previous characters died from vortices even with the ankh equipped.

My Guy's going good, I was hoping I'd get some equipment upgrades in FGJC's but no luck, however I do have 24 str now but my To is still capped at 12 sadly. Had to turn back, running out of spenseweed. Dwarftown time now I guess.
    It typical to be sitting on 3-4 potential To with that orc/dwarf/drake and then trying to find more than one with the elf.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    It typical to be sitting on 3-4 potential To with that orc/dwarf/drake and then trying to find more than one with the elf.
    Yep. Pretty much. Good news is, graveyards next only need 13 wight corpses...

I don't think undead corpses break potentials. Or, at least, they don't do it commonly.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Yes they do. Every time. Just not over 25 (or 26 I'll find out this run through) they just increase potential instead of a full point increase kinda like claw bug corpses and dark orcs, frost Giants. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    As for the original question in this thread, there is one more effective method of dealing with vortices - blessed potions of exchange.
    I remember quite vividly turning a potentially deadly lightning vortex in UD8 into a harmless large orc once.
    With no resistance and ~50 HP, I would have died otherwise.
    Had only 2 turns before it caught up with me so blessing that poex and equipping it in missile slot was a life saver.
    Unless it misses Which can happen even if you wield it in your hand, presumably it slips after being violently swung.
    "And light there be!"