Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vortex tactics

Ok, so far torc has save my characters life once, so totally worth it. I'm lvl 16 now, took out pyramid at lvl 13, went to r3 next and found skull crusher, mace of destruction, mithril chain. Used those to go to darkforge, I'm lvl 16 now, found some eternium halberds, and 2h swords. Thinking I'll keep using mace and do IQD next, maybe I'll get giant vault and skull crush them all

Why don't you wear the ankh?

Ankh is better than torc while torc is still nice to have around for emergencies.

As for the original question in this thread, there is one more effective method of dealing with vortices - blessed potions of exchange.
    I remember quite vividly turning a potentially deadly lightning vortex in UD8 into a harmless large orc once.
    With no resistance and ~50 HP, I would have died otherwise.
    Had only 2 turns before it caught up with me so blessing that poex and equipping it in missile slot was a life saver.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Wait, what do you mean, "keep using the mace"? You've got Skullcrusher. Why would you use anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanGarro View Post
    Wait, what do you mean, "keep using the mace"? You've got Skullcrusher. Why would you use anything else.
    Skullcrusher has quite low base damage. Against non-humanoids it's a pretty pitiful.

[edit]In fact, at low St values, Mace of Destruction may be strictly better under nearly all circumstances.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Because Mace of Destruction does more damage to all non-humanoids than Skullcrusher and trains the same marks that skullcrusher uses. So might as well use the more versatile weapon by default and switch to skullcrusher if you need to kill a particularly large amount of humanoids or a particularly strong one.

Quote Originally Posted by pjsb1 View Post
    Because Mace of Destruction does more damage to all non-humanoids than Skullcrusher and trains the same marks that skullcrusher uses. So might as well use the more versatile weapon by default and switch to skullcrusher if you need to kill a particularly large amount of humanoids or a particularly strong one.
    Skullcrusher is a club/hammer and MoD is a mace/flail.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Skullcrusher sucks. I used to consider it a decent weapon but now it's barely above the artifact spears and far below stuff like kinslayer or even vanq.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Well, i see your point. Certainly makes sense. Though it's not fair comparing it to Vanquisher really.

I am using ankh, but in an emergency I use the torc. Don't actually need it anymore, just ate a lightning lizard and ate a yeti in IQD so ankh all the way havnt made it to dwarftown yet, but oh well! And mace of destruction has amazing base dmg, but skullcrusher has crappy dmg but slaying powers which I use on difficult humanoids such as the steel golems. I feel it's important to note that I'm born on the sword, so I'm allowed a bit of versatility with weapons

Edit: also forgot to mention, a yeti dropped a glowing wand 0 charges which o promptly used for find weakness, and barnabas had a scroll of edu which i haven't used yet, waiting until more skills 'fill out'
    Last edited by Blank4u47; 04-08-2016 at 11:57 AM.