I can still remember the day I emerged from the mists of time, forged to fill a destiny yet unbeknownst to me. Profoundly tapped into the magical flow of Ancardia, I entered the Drakalor Chain, hoping to find a purpose. I found myself traversing through the lands, meeting men and creatures alike. Detached from the community, I felt alone - that is until I ventured west. I felt a strange calling from the chasms of the earth, a sense of purpose. Balance was calling to me, I thought.

I found an entry to a cavern, that appeared to lead into the chasms of the earth. It did not take long for me to realize that this place was a host for something evil, and yet, perhaps it was my destiny to venture forth, perhaps to find the root of the this spreading corruption and malevolent presence that echoed through the damned chasms of this foreboding place.

As my magic grew stronger, I endeavored deeper into the depths, vanquishing the evil that stood before me. Balance would be restored. Then, something unexpected happened. I saw a light at the end of a tunnel. It wasn't an ordinary torch lit by the orcs that infested these vile caverns. As I walked closer, I could hear a laughter, then more of it joined in. To my surprise, I entered the dwarven town, so full of life and these... happy seeming creatures in the midst of all this horror. Perhaps part of the awe was the unexpectedness of this place, but a warm flicker of hope sparked in my time-ridden heart. Maybe there could be an end to all this chaos, maybe there was hope.

I was soon to discover that someone before me, of my own kin, had entered this place before me. The place of worship for Balance was hosted by my brethren. As I conversed with him, it became obvious how dire the situation was. This dwarven city alone was feeling the foul influence of chaos pulsating up from the caverns below. I knew I could help, for I, champion of Balance would be the one to end this corruption. To restore balance. The priest then directed me to Thrundarr, the ancient dwarf, ruler of this place who's wisdom for his kin was only surpassed by his great bushy beard.

Whilst still young through the eyes of the mist, Thrundarr's insight into the ongoing conundrum proved valuable. I agreed to help with some... chores if you may, with the town in exchange for knowledge, shelter and supplies. Enfuriating tasks one might even say, but as I gained trust, so did I start to develop a fondness for this group of young Ancardians.

As I returned from my most taxing quest yet, that of freeing the soul of a Dwarven warrior from the grasps of one dark wizard with the name of Nonnak, I got greeted with such joy and jubilation from the people. Thrundrarr welcomed me with open arms and I could feel the warmth spread across me like never before. It was there, where I realized my heart shifting. I was one of them. I belonged...

And yet, on this joyous occasion, it is when a dark shade was cast upon my conscience. I could feel the light being drawn away from the hall. The dwarves around me, still smiling and talking did not appear, at all bothered by this. Could they not see it, could they not feel it? As the darkness deepened, I fell on my knees as I heard the booming voice in my head "MORTAL! HOW DARE YOU ABANDON ME?! YOUR IMPUNITY SHALL BE PUNISHED". As those words boomed in my head, I could feel a bolt of black energy hitting my from the void. It struck me down on the stone floor of the dwarven city, oh so well built, did I not wish for it to be a nice soft moor then. I briefly lost consciousness... yet, I was alive.

Divine vengeance had left me crippled on the stone floor, weak. I woke up to the screams of dwarves. All hell had broken loose. Spectres were swarming the city and I could see some guardsmen getting slaughtered as they died protecting the citizens... protecting me. Tapping from the last reserves of my magic I managed to grasp a some clay. "Rise!" I shouted as I poured the remainder of my powers into this lump of unformed substance. It started to take form in the image of it's creator, yet strong, willing to do my bidding. "Protect the city", I whispered. "Protect the people." The clay creature rushed into battle, clearly outmatched but unrelenting in it's resolve.

That's when I saw Thrundarr rushing to me. He extended his hand to me, giving me a potion. "Here, drink this!" he said. With little hesitation I took a sip, then downed the bottle. I could feel life coursing through my veins again, strength returning to my limbs. I got back up on my feet, feeling refreshed, yet still moderately weak. I was stronger now, divine retribution could not hold me back. I slammed my staff on the ground, sending a thundering echo through the cavernous city, grasping the attention of the ravaging spectres. As the echoes faded, the pile of clay started taking form, now in the form of multiple humanoid shapes. As I slammed the staff on the floor the second time, the army of homonculi charged into battle against the raging spectres. Together with the dwarven citizens, we vanquished these vile ghosts from beyond, but with a heavy cost...

Situation started to calm down, fires were put out and the smouldering runes revealed the damage. The death were tallied. It was still chaos, but order was being restored, bit by bit. The disaster had cost the lives of over half of the citizens of Dwarftown. And it was all my fault. These good folks, kind enough to take me in, had been betrayed by me and the god I swore to obey. Whilst they only judged me in their hearts, I knew and felt it was time for me to leave this place, for good. My quest couldn't coexist with these fine folks, no matter how valiant they might've been. As I gathered my belongings and bid farewell to Thrundarr and the rest of the dwarven folk, I knew that this was not the worst of it to come. Yet, it was something I had to do.

And there I stood, at the edge of no return, cursed and doomed by my god, alone and abandoned, gazing to the darkening abyss. I took a step forward, then another, not looking behind, I descended...

To be continued... (maybe)

tl;dr Started a promised mist elven wizard, became a champion of Balance, failed to notice my shift in alignment, fell from grace, wiped out most of dwarftown as a result, saved the day with white necromancy, going to close the chaos gate hopefully.