Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: inofficial challenges

Default inofficial challenges

Several of our most experienced players mention various challenges like titanium, litium run etc.
    Is there a compilation of these with according rule set to be found somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Several of our most experienced players mention various challenges like titanium, litium run etc.
    Is there a compilation of these with according rule set to be found somewhere?
    http://www.adomgb.info/challenge.html
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Challenge_games

The last one is a bit shortish...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Soirana, what do you think is the most difficult (not counting tediousness) challenge?

For myself, I would define tedious challenges as being any one that requires extreme repetitive action that isn't really possible without a script (Eternium Man) or requires an excessive amount of wishes to complete (Plutonium).

Based on this, I'd probably say that hardest is Brimstone Man. Zen Monk is probably the most mentally taxing challenge, but it's pretty tedious in a way that's completely different from what I describe above.

What's worth noting is that it is fairly easy to create a challenge game that is almost certainly impossible (enter the WDC at level 1 and kill mommy dragon). The tricky part is creating a challenge that's just on the edge of being impossible, or, at least, plausible enough that people are willing to attempt it.

[edit]I'll give a shout out to one of my favourite absurd challenges: The Zero Wiz game. You had to play a wizard that started with no equipment, no spells, and a value of 1 in every stat. Almost definitely impossible, but at least impossible in a really amusing way.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 04-26-2016 at 06:15 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    For myself, I would define tedious challenges as being any one that requires extreme repetitive action that isn't really possible without a script (Eternium Man) or requires an excessive amount of wishes to complete (Plutonium).

Based on this, I'd probably say that hardest is Brimstone Man. Zen Monk is probably the most mentally taxing challenge, but it's pretty tedious in a way that's completely different from what I describe above.

What's worth noting is that it is fairly easy to create a challenge game that is almost certainly impossible (enter the WDC at level 1 and kill mommy dragon). The tricky part is creating a challenge that's just on the edge of being impossible, or, at least, plausible enough that people are willing to attempt it.

[edit]I'll give a shout out to one of my favourite absurd challenges: The Zero Wiz game. You had to play a wizard that started with no equipment, no spells, and a value of 1 in every stat. Almost definitely impossible, but at least impossible in a really amusing way.
    Interesting... How does one get the save file for a 0 wiz? And are there other rules? Or just crappy start?

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Interesting... How does one get the save file for a 0 wiz? And are there other rules? Or just crappy start?
    No other rules (I think originally potentials where also at 1). It is rather challenging believe me, (IIRC people who got anywhere abused darkness and I do not recall that poor wizzy being naked stripper by the way, I think she had darkness and magic missile books).

Someone could manufacture save in WoW mode rather easily.

Overall problem with hard challenges is that really tough ones end going through quadrillion chars in order to get a lucky streak (speedruns, brimstone, etc), so I would not call them any different than 'tedious'.
    Last edited by Soirana; 04-26-2016 at 07:09 PM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Just the crappy start. If you can make it to Dwarftown it's probably a win for all practical purposes.

The thread for zero wiz is here. I don't see the save file on it though. Soirana might still have it? [edit]Looking at the thread, it does appear to be naked stripper, yes. I think you needed to stairhop to find the books.

I'd love to see this challenge on 1.2.0 at some point. The lock on potentials makes this all kinds of absurd.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

enter the WDC at level 1 and kill mommy dragon
    A wizard with darkness, teleportation, a ring of the fish and some really good luck with the treasure hoard items may be able to do this... but I'm not crazy enough to attempt it
    "And light there be!"

enter the WDC at level 1 and kill mommy dragon
    If pets/companions allowed, it is possible. Create a golem (it doesn't need to breathe underwater, right?!), level it to level 200 - and mommy dragon is a walk in a park afterward.

The Zero Wiz game. You had to play a wizard that started with no equipment, no spells, and a value of 1 in every stat. Almost definitely impossible, but at least impossible in a really amusing way.
    Not even hard. Wolf start, Survival to get seeds, convert to money, next black market and/or beggars for booze, proper equipment, trade massive amounts of booze in Terinyo (1 in 10 is POGA, IIRC) - and proceed to win.
    The main problem would be the small carrying capacity ( 1Str gives you only 640 Stones to work with).
    Last edited by SinsI; 04-28-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    Not even hard. Wolf start, Survival to get seeds, convert to money, next black market and/or beggars for booze, proper equipment, trade massive amounts of booze in Terinyo (1 in 10 is POGA, IIRC) - and proceed to win.
    The main problem would be the small carrying capacity ( 1Str gives you only 640 Stones to work with).
    how many game days do you think this might take?