Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A flee from virus leads to an unknown land "Ubuntu"

Default A flee from virus leads to an unknown land "Ubuntu"

So my wife downloaded a pdf on a infant swing, and got to page 11 when the virus from the nether pit came to my computer; It let no other software open, including taskmaster, and would not let me access any drives. could not even do a CD boot. I had to unplug the hard drive to get the computer to boot from a CD.

i am now running Ubuntu, and know nothing about it.

i am about the very important task of getting ADOM running again.

so i downloaded the unix verion of Adom and see it sitting on my desk top. i can read the txt files but cant seem to run Adom.
    i try to run the adom and get a open files "window" with two sections available application: and recent application: both empty.

errrr

what makes this so frustating is (if any one remembers) i came from the land of DOS and its all holy c: , and was just getting the hang of windows XP.

I would appreciate some Assistance.

stillcen

Ugh, I'm not much help when it comes to OS' besides Windows, but condolences regardless. I know I've had some "fun" experiences with viral attacks until I upgraded by protection software from the bad Norton or McAfee I had to Avast.

I'm sure you can find some help here, but one thing you ought to try is a simple google search...or I can link you to the forum page from this forum I just found.

ADOM & Ubuntu - http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php?t=568

Search function is your friend!
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

The way I got adom to work in Ubuntu is by installing dosbox, then running the dos version of adom through that.

Give me a few minutes and I can give detailed instructions on how to install dosbox etc
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki

Ahhh, Dosbox. The only way I can play my old DOS games like Dungeon Hack
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

To install DosBox:
    1) System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager
    2) Input your root password
    3) Use the search box near the top to find Dosbox
    4) Click the check-box, then click the Apply button near the top of the screen
    5) Wait for it to finish installing, then close package manager

To install Adom:
    1) download the dos version of adom to your home folder (/home/username/)
    2) Extract it by double-clicking, and copying the adom folder (so adom.exe can be found at /home/username/adom/adom.exe)
    3) Open the file /home/username/dosbox.conf in your text editor
    4) find the [Autoexec] section at the bottom of the file, and insert the following lines:
    Code:
    @mount c: /home/(yourusername)/adom/
    c:
    adom.exe
    5) Save and exit the file, then open the dosbox program (link should be in the Applications -> Games menu). It should automaically open Adom as well.
    6) Enjoy!

Any trouble with these instructions, please tell me.

Not sure why adom isn't working for you regularly... Have you tried doing it straight through the console? Make sure the console size is correct too.

One option is to play on the server. In the console just type "ssh -l username ancardia.ath.cx". Gives you full Sage options etc (I've not been able to get Sage working on my debian-based system).
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

If your default console size is too small (less than 80x25) then adom wont run straight from the executable I think... So open up console and start it there as Grey said.

I'm using Fedora, but many things seem to be similar between these two distros.

Is your system 64-bit? Mine is, and I needed to install the 32-bit version of the ncurses library separately to get ADOM working.

Smile

Lotuskip- i am running on 32 bits

Grey- errr by console do you mean errr ahhh. I got adom to extract to files i recognize in an adom folder on my desk top. but when i try to run the adom exc. nada seems to happen. Plus there is the ADOM start up warning that savs will not traslate between versions of adom, and i want to play out my 25th level priest, and she is a DOSBox priest.

Ascaron- THank you once again. I got my litte @ symbol back, in no small part with you advice.

Everybody- The dosbox i was running under xp was slower through the start up screens but much faster (3X) during game play, when i hit that #8 key my @ went up. With the Ubuntu DOSBox, a bit of a delay. I peeked in to the dosbox.config and found this--------------------------

[render]
    # frameskip -- How many frames DOSBox skips before drawing one.
    # aspect -- Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn't support scaling this can slow things down!.
    # scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
    # Supported are none,normal2x,normal3x,advmame2x,advmame3x,hq2x,hq 3x,
    # 2xsai,super2xsai,supereagle,advinterp2x,advinterp3 x,
    # tv2x,tv3x,rgb2x,rgb3x,scan2x,scan3x.
    # If forced is appended (like scaler=hq2x forced), the scaler will be used
    # even if the result might not be desired.

frameskip=0
    aspect=false
    scaler=normal3x

[cpu]
    # core -- CPU Core used in emulation: normal,simple,dynamic,auto.
    # auto switches from normal to dynamic if appropriate.
    # cycles -- Amount of instructions DOSBox tries to emulate each millisecond.
    # Setting this value too high results in sound dropouts and lags.
    # You can also let DOSBox guess the correct value by setting it to max.
    # The default setting (auto) switches to max if appropriate.
    # cycleup -- Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.
    # cycledown Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

core=auto
    cycles=max
    cycleup=500
    cycledown=100

also the color is a bit whacky-totally livable, and i remember some threads on that, will try that mystical "search" thing....

i noticed that hack types were part of the synaptic addables.....hhmmm what could i be hinting at.....

stillcen

Quote Originally Posted by stillcen View Post
    Grey- errr by console do you mean errr ahhh. I got adom to extract to files i recognize in an adom folder on my desk top. but when i try to run the adom exc. nada seems to happen. Plus there is the ADOM start up warning that savs will not traslate between versions of adom, and i want to play out my 25th level priest, and she is a DOSBox priest.
    By "console", I believe he means the terminal - you should be able to find it under Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal. It's one of the most powerful tools in Linux, if you know how to use it.

When Adom warns about different versions' savegames, it means for example 1.1.1 vs 1.0.0.
    All 1.1.1 savegames should be compatible with other versions of 1.1.1, so a dosbox save will work under windows and a windows save will work under linux, etc etc. The one thing I've noticed is that some versions will save it as a .SVG file, while others save it as a .svg (lowercase). If it isn't detecting your savegame, that's probably the problem.

Ascaron- THank you once again. I got my litte @ symbol back, in no small part with you advice.
    Not a problem

Everybody- The dosbox i was running under xp was slower through the start up screens but much faster (3X) during game play, when i hit that #8 key my @ went up. With the Ubuntu DOSBox, a bit of a delay. I peeked in to the dosbox.config and found this--------------------------

*snip*

also the color is a bit whacky-totally livable, and i remember some threads on that, will try that mystical "search" thing....
    I'm afraid I don't know how to make Adom run faster then the default, as my computer seems to automatically try run it as fast as possible.
    But if anyone has suggestions on making it run faster - in windows or linux - I'd love to hear them. Sometimes my tests take a little too long, and I want to speed it up :P

As far as the colours go, I've found DosBox to be my favourite set. I can't work with the default windows colours, they just look... strange... Must be 'cuz I ran Adom for ~4 years in dos 5.0 with those colours