Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else gotten the Ruined Libram?

Default Anyone else gotten the Ruined Libram?

Found this 500s book at the bottom of one of the new smallish dungeons. Has anyone else seen this or knows what it does? Reading it didn't seem to do anything useful, and I lost my character the shifting dungeon crash shortly after

What prerelease was that?
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I haven't found it yet, but I'm guessing this is the tome of donors? Trying to find it has been pretty much the only reason I've bothered trying to play r65, which is rather ruined by that crash...
    The effects of the tome might not be (fully) implemented yet.
    Won with: Orcish Archer (1.1.1), Drakish Healer (1.2.0 pr11), Dark elven Necromancer (1.2.0 pr13), unarmed Ratling Monk (r57), Gnomish Beastfighter (r75)

This was on r65. Probably was the tome of donors; the read message was something on lines of 'contains the stories of the heroes of Ancardia, but is too chewed up by monsters to read'. Interesting that it's an artifact, and going by the Indiegogo page "rare". Greater identify didn't reveal any special properties.

Disabling auto-save should avoid the crash right? Might try finding it again and delivering it to the usual suspects.

Found it also in the moldy dungeon. Too bad there was the shifting dungeon so that game area is unusable.

Looks like simply disabling auto-save, the crash is not avoidable. The minute you save your game manually, you get a corrupt savegame, which fails to reload.

As of now, it seems to me that the only way to circumvent it is to restore an old backup from a time before the shifting dungeon got generated.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I found tutorial mode very useful for investigating this. You start out strong enough to go straight to the new dungeons, so you don't really need to worry about backups or random crashes. Of course, results may be different with maxed stats.

I also found it in the moldy dungeon, so perhaps it is guaranteed in that one. This time it was initially identified as the Tome of Donors. First time reading:

Code:
    You seem to have discovered the legendary tome of donors.
    This tome is said to collect the legends of all Ancardian heros that donated their blood, souls, souls and lives in order to ward off past incursions of Chaos.
    Some succeeded, others failed, but they all have become legends.
    You start paging through the tome and discover a story...

You read the gallant tales of TzuurrugyTTotszuubba'ssaa who uncovered some dark mystery connected to a mad minstrel of yore. You feel well looked-upon my the Gods!
    The name of the book was now changed changed to lavish libram. Attempting to read it a second time resulted in the message:

Code:
    You fail to open the lavish libram. It seems to be locked by some unknown force.
    It seems like you have to wait a certain number of turns before being able to read it again. This interval seems to increase for each subsequent reading. Messages I got:

Code:
    You read about the travels of Allexxahndrr Staarrohszehk who travelled together with Khelavaster, the sage, searching for a cure for corruption. You feel blessed!

You read the perilous tale of NNeaall Brrymmbllecohmbae who was a mighty collector of numerous artifacts. You feel more in touch with the world

You read the song of IIan Caaeenness who travelled together with Khelavaster the sage, searching for a cure to corruption. You feel refreshed!

You read the adventurous yarn of Ja'akkoo Sa'loo.ojja who uncovered a hidden lake full of danger. You feel bolder!

You read about the travels of Saerggaey Sokohloov who challenged the gods for supremacy. You feel blessed!

You read the epic poem of Petr "Paassky" Bahuuddyz who mapped the Drakalor Chain uncovering many hidden villages and a few forgotten cities. You feel well looked-upon by the Gods!

You read the song of Schaarykov Alexaey who searched for the trident of the red rooster in all the known lands. You feel very self-confident
    EDIT: A couple additional messages:
    Code:
    You read the gallant tales of Ja'maez Baadcooe who ventured into the Realms of Chaos after recovering something just called the Trinity. You feel greatly hardened by the forces of Life!

You read the epic poem of Gaeohrge Raanddaal who fought the raiders of the dark forest. You feel well-educated by this.
    Last edited by Grond; 05-28-2016 at 10:48 PM.

Interestingly, the libram is readable even with low literacy, so there may be some sort of turn/time/level limit that causes it to be generated as the unreadable ruined libram.

EDIT: Advanced to level 22, took 30 days, took 25000+ turns before entering the cave, and 5000+ turns before entering the bottom level of the cave. The ruined libram was generated. Read message:
    Code:
    This enormous libram seems to have contained stories about many famous heroes and heroines of Ancardia.
    Sadly time and the teeth of vile creatures seem to have taken its toll so that nowadays the former content is not longer legible.
    Last edited by Grond; 05-29-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Yeah, from the tests I carried out too it seems that the tome is always generated at the end of the moldy dungeon and is generated instead as the ruined libram after a certain amount of game time passed. (In my tests it was generated as the tome of donors after entering the dungeon up to 20 days passed and the char at level 5, so I don't yet know the conditions for generating it as ruined).

Also, the tome always seems to sit on a pile of 90,160 gold... does that happen if the tome was ruined, too?

While the names of the donors mentioned presumably come from resurrection campaign donors, as promised, the messages and special effects assigned to each seem like they might be randomised (or at randomly least selected from a fixed internal list)... Some of the ones I got were:

Code:
    You read about the travels of Jann-Pa'u'ul Kohoopmahnnn who fough endless battles to protect the people of the land. You feel refreshed!

You read about the tragic tale of Eu'ugehnnae “Nazedeel” Pettkehvvyccch who was burnt at the stake by Sharadrinaxiorathadas, vile wyrm of the south.

You read about the travels of Will Rogerss who was a mighty collector of numerous artifacts. You feel well-educated by this.

You read the epic poem of Ann Toonn Ar Osz who mapped the Drakalor Chain uncovering many hidden villages and a few forgotten cities. Your will seems inflexible.

You read about how AAhri Raaeekkka'laa defeated of the bloodless red baby dragons. You feel refreshed!

You read about the travels of JJaamess Hendry who traversed the forest of living trees. You feel refreshed!

You read the perilous tale of Guuyllhaerrme PPaannyzz Paatzer who ventured into a burning tower in far away lands. You feel well-educated by this.

You read about how Eyna'rr found a hint about the Trident of the Red Rooster in the forgotten forest of Thagotth. You feel blessed!

You read the gallant tales of Tae Pyzzydae who traversed the forest of living trees. You feel studious
    Last edited by kNightCrawler; 05-29-2016 at 02:15 AM.
    Won with: Orcish Archer (1.1.1), Drakish Healer (1.2.0 pr11), Dark elven Necromancer (1.2.0 pr13), unarmed Ratling Monk (r57), Gnomish Beastfighter (r75)

I don't think the ruined tome came with any gold. Generating the ruined tome doesn't seem to depend on game time; tome of donors was still generated after 34 days. It's also doesn't seem to depend on the number of turns spent in the dungeon; tome of donors was still generated after ~10000 turns in the dungeon.

Edit: Looks like the messages might be different for a cursed or doomed character:
    Code:
    You read the sad song of Ahnttttee Toolvaannaenn who was send to the howling hells of Chaos by Aggravar, dark ghoul of the northern mountains.

You read the sober story of TTuuyenn Traann who was wasted by Heshtabhr the unnight hag.

You read the shivering shanty of SSooyraanaa who was slaughtered at the whim of Aggravar, dark ghoul of the northern mountains.

You read the sad song of Ka'nzzaar tche Coorrrupt who was shredded by Heshtabhr, the unnight hag.

You hear the tragic tale of Cchaadd Dyyllaan Lohnngg who was hung by Fnuk Longtooth, orc chieftain of yore.

You hear the pitiful poem of Pa'tryck Hheeehntz who was burnt at the stake by Fnuk Longtooth, orc chieftain of yore.

You read the sad song of Ga'bbryl Fraahnceesz who was rend apart by Fnuk Longtooth, orc chieftain of yore.

You read the sad song of TTeemuu Vyynneekaaynehn who was tortured to death by Uu'urn, bloated goblin emperor of the dark labyrinths under the Drakalor Chain.
    Last edited by Grond; 05-29-2016 at 02:39 AM.

You read the shivering shanty of SSooyraanaa who was slaughtered at the whim of Aggravar, dark ghoul of the northern mountains.
    My image is definitely ruined....
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)