Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Proper mindcrafter archmage

Either, I have very strange luck or it seems book drops are somehow bugged. I will try to compare with my notes on SMC scumming with necros, but currently PoGA drop ~4x more frequently than books do.

edit: after reading notes I've tried few things. My general impression (half based on imgaination) is that after some point (trigger is completely unknown) level drops only one spellbook of each spell and other drops somehow cancel. (drop ratio is extremely skewed I have death ray, acid ball, summon monsters and just one spellbook of darkness).

I've tried reading light and darkness to ground, no new copies.... That is not bad for this char (or his next incarnation), but eternium challenge seems to be doomed (I planned to get lots of magic missile spellbooks in that one). Mmm....
    Last edited by Soirana; 06-08-2016 at 10:53 AM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

there is a bug with spellbook generation that skews the distrubition in some way. Necros at the moment get 75% spellbooks are frostbolt. My guess is mindcrafter doesn't have a default spellbook and therefore the drops are really low.
    Wins:
    Gnome Assassin / Dwarven Paladin (ULE) / Ratling Duelist (UNE) / High Elf Archer / Gnomish Wizard x ~5 / Gray Elven Wizard (UCG) - Archmage / Gnomish Weaponsmith / Grey Elf Elementalist / Dwarven Priest / Trollish Barbarian / Drakling Farmer / Mist Elf Wizard / Human Beastfighter / Ratling Archer (UNE) / Gnomish Mindcrafter

Classes Left
    Many!

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    there is a bug with spellbook generation that skews the distrubition in some way. Necros at the moment get 75% spellbooks are frostbolt. My guess is mindcrafter doesn't have a default spellbook and therefore the drops are really low.
    It's not a bug, Thomas wrote that this distribution was the intended one.
    Freedom through action!

Cute theory, but it does not explain:
    -drop rate lowering down with time
    -book distribution skews - whatever the issue with defaults, light and darkness has ~9% of others. which means that around 1/5 of all books should be these.

Bad thing, I did not keep the track of dropped books in the forest (one small pile is one level above and another should be in ogre cave -- after I developed the theory book drops wer Cure Disease, Cure Light wounds, Death ray/Slow monster - things I'm pretty sure dropped here: -Disarm trap/Acid B all/Summon monsters/SoA/Invisibility/Stun Ray/Web).
    I guess, I just need to get another ~20 books to drop and we will see.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

5 more spellbooks:
    Lightning bolt
    magic missile
    slow poison
    scare monster
    Web....

Web is slightly puzzling, but it's cursed (I don't believe it's relevant, but I can't be sure) and even if it dropped in forest I can't be sure if that was before or after trigger event...
    Overall, spelbook drops seem to strive for set, I guess I will keep running around with char just for science

edit: 6th book - Farsight. I have few wished ones, but that one certainly did not drop before...
    7-8th were SoA and another Farsight.... guess my theory is wrong and it is just bad luck...
    9-11 - Darkness/Death ray/Knock.

Guess, it is time to pile food and go for fireworks...
    Last edited by Soirana; 06-09-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnothing View Post
    It's not a bug, Thomas wrote that this distribution was the intended one.
    I think he misunderstood the report - he didn't intend to change anything - but suddenly necromancers have 80% of their books being frost bolt.
    Wins:
    Gnome Assassin / Dwarven Paladin (ULE) / Ratling Duelist (UNE) / High Elf Archer / Gnomish Wizard x ~5 / Gray Elven Wizard (UCG) - Archmage / Gnomish Weaponsmith / Grey Elf Elementalist / Dwarven Priest / Trollish Barbarian / Drakling Farmer / Mist Elf Wizard / Human Beastfighter / Ratling Archer (UNE) / Gnomish Mindcrafter

Classes Left
    Many!

I think he misunderstood the report - he didn't intend to change anything - but suddenly necromancers have 80% of their books being frost bolt.
    80% is a gross exaggeration. I've played many necromancers and the distribution isn't more than 25% which is 1 in 4. This is actually a huge asset in the early game especially if you play a dumb race.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    80% is a gross exaggeration. I've played many necromancers and the distribution isn't more than 25% which is 1 in 4. This is actually a huge asset in the early game especially if you play a dumb race.
    I'm sorry I have to confirm the real number is much closer to 80% than to 25% sadly. It was about 66% with my characters and the guy filing the bug report experienced the same.

Forum thread

Bug report

At least for me this ruined Necromancer and Druid fun that I didn't want to play one so far without this being resolved. Possibly affects Salamander Wizards too, since they start with guaranteed Firebolt.

Interestingly, TB wasn't aware of the change, so it must have been unintentional:
    This is really interesting. I have examined the source code and as far as I can see, the code for determining the spell contained in a spell book has not changed since January 2012 at least (we switched our version control system at that time... I don't have the older history available).

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    At least for me this ruined Necromancer and Druid fun that I didn't want to play one so far without this being resolved.
    lol it's THE time to play Druids, Lightning Bolt is one of the best spells in the game
    Regarding necromancers I don't know, never played much
    Freedom through action!

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    I'm sorry I have to confirm the real number is much closer to 80% than to 25% sadly. It was about 66% with my characters and the guy filing the bug report experienced the same.

Forum thread

Bug report

At least for me this ruined Necromancer and Druid fun that I didn't want to play one so far without this being resolved. Possibly affects Salamander Wizards too, since they start with guaranteed Firebolt.

Interestingly, TB wasn't aware of the change, so it must have been unintentional:
    Truly odd that I've beaten the game many times with necromancers and never exceeded the 25% distribution of frost bolt.