Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Q&A: How does this work again?

I'd only use it for specific situations:
    1) if you really need the shock immunity (lightning vortex, maybe lightning lizard too) and
    2) for quickly regenerating HP after a fight.
    It doesn't have autocursing, so using it situationally is much easier than for example the crown of science for reading.

I'd advise against using it for regular fighting, although it may be ok if you really know what monsters to avoid in particular as a doomed char (most definitely ghuls, mimics, etc.). But frankly, since you're playing a short-lived race, any ghost bat from inside a wall could be quite dangerous. So no, better find a girdle of carrying for your duelist.

If nothing else, it's useful to regenerate HP before you find another regen item.

I would probably avoid using it regularly if you don't have paralysis resist. With it, IMHO it's worthwhile, especially if you are also wearing the ankh. You can always remove it.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Just got myself Celestrix as Precrown on a Ratling Duelist ... worth using or is the Dooming to severe?
    IMHO, dooming is too severe for continuous use. Sure, it's useful when used temporarily with caution.. The regeneration being the key use. Also against some nasty cases such as an invisible ogre magus blasting you with ice to death, if you have no other means of see invisible. Also when regenerating and low in health, remember that ranged attacks can be nasty, too. A thrown rock by a troll king or stone giant lord can drop 100+ HP when doomed, and usually getting hit on low health when doomed means you're down to -10 HP instead of 1.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

From what I remember, item-based dooming has a weaker effect than intrinsic-based (but it's still nasty).
    Like Jelly said, with para resistance and ankh it's worthwhile, but I would take it off before facing monsters that can potentially crit you for hundreds of HP.
    Be careful with celestrix when meleeing stuff like titans, giant kings, greater molochs, dopple kings, wyrms or quickling/lich royalty.
    One bad crit and the regular 1 HP left turns into -60 or something.
    I remember clearing D50 with it equipped (got it as uselessness gift) and it was on a lvl 50 assassin that also wielded executor.
    I noticed no substantial problems, but that was a tough char with 60+ PV and insane DV.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Harkila View Post
    IMHO, dooming is too severe for continuous use. Sure, it's useful when used temporarily with caution.. The regeneration being the key use. Also against some nasty cases such as an invisible ogre magus blasting you with ice to death, if you have no other means of see invisible. Also when regenerating and low in health, remember that ranged attacks can be nasty, too. A thrown rock by a troll king or stone giant lord can drop 100+ HP when doomed, and usually getting hit on low health when doomed means you're down to -10 HP instead of 1.
    The 1 HP thing doesn't ever apply in the case of missile weapons or spells, AFAIK, regardless of your character's luck.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    The 1 HP thing doesn't ever apply in the case of missile weapons or spells, AFAIK, regardless of your character's luck.
    Well, spells don't crit so sure they don't apply.

Is where a comprehensive place detailing on saving throws? I sorta recall needing some luck roll and HP being above certain % (60?)...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Q3: If I want to do extensive mining for ore/gems, does it matter where?

Ogre caves seems like a good place since it's a no spawn area.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post

AFAIK, the danger level of the area has no effect on the kinds of ore/gems that spawn. Ogre Cave is an okay choice--no spawns is good, but it's a weakly corrupting area. Any low level area where you can minimize the spawns with a room full of worms will do fine. ID is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana
    Well, spells don't crit so sure they don't apply.

Is where a comprehensive place detailing on saving throws? I sorta recall needing some luck roll and HP being above certain % (60?)...
    I remember reading something similar, but I can't find it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post

I've never noticed a difference in gem types or ore types found in different locations. Back when I mined a lot, I'd mine out arena level, ogre caves, and gremlin caves (after disarming) Due to low monster gen rates. Then I'd mine the other coc levels up to dwarf town.

Q4: Found a Spear of Devestation (+1,5d8+6) on a Dualist ... would the slowed growth of my weapon skill (which in turn gives +Hit, lower energy use and later on DV), make it a too long-term liability to use in practice? (over other bug-standard weapons that i might have now, still quite early in the game)
    Closed Gate with: Orc Barbarian, Orc Paladin
    Ultra'd with: Gnome Weaponsmith (L+)