Thread: Crowning Issue

Default Crowning Issue

Hey all,
    First time, long time.

So I'm no adom noob...i've beaten it twice a while back, but i have yet to beat it in the graphic mode (not sure what its called exactly, ha. its version 60 though). I'm really excited to do so, BUT I'm having an issue crowning!

So i wanted to get some people's insight and see if there is another change i'm not aware of...
    I play a gnomish monk

So a normal game starts with me making my first kill at the Outlaw town, then i head to Terinyo to get the Puppy quest, Keethrax and Roving Raiders quests. If i can, i quickly try and find the descending stairs on the first level of the Small Cave before i level up too much. then I head to the infinite dungeon to level up to 5 before heading out to kill Kranach. Once I do that, I usually start at the Druid dungeon, clearing the first 6 levels (making sure not to descend to level 7 so that i don't generate the black torc). Then I head to the Puppy cave and clear the whole thing, bringing the cute dog corpse back to the girl.
    Now, If i found an altar in the druid dungeon or the puppy cave, I usually just start saccing every monster in sight...if I don't find one, I head to the CoC. In the CoC, I clear the first 7 levels, making sure not to descend to the 8th (again to not generate another artifact, the Si).
    By this time, I'm anywhere from a level 8 all the way up to a level 15 (all without generating an artifact). With the last 5 characters, up to this point, I've found an altar, and I'm able to monster-sac all the way until I get "Berywn favors you" (lovely addition!) and then "Berywn favors you greatly" (as i understand it, a new version of "seems to be extremely close to you"). I have tried at this point to both pre-crown (by making my alignment either N+ or N-) and normal crown (N=) by simply praying, but I keep getting the "your prayers remain unheard" message and no Loot!!

Is there a new requirement that I'm missing?! I could have sworn this let me crown in the oldschool adom version...but I could be wrong. I know I'm not generating any mystery artifacts or anything like that bc they don't pop up on the list of generated artifacts after I die...
    I did not purchase the Steam version of the game (could that be the issue?! I should probs do that either way...)

Any thoughts y'all had would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

"Favors you greatly" is another intermediate step in between "very close" and "extremely close"/"absolutely close", keep sacrificing and you should get there.

BAhhh!! of course thats the issue

I was wondering why it went so quickly!
    Thanks Grond, I'll let you know how it goes

Might be out of an issue, but you should visit druid dungeon asap, you won't generate torc before druid is killed. Druid is much easier to tackle when he's lv 1-6 instead of him being lvl >10.

Yeah, torc is generated upon Keethrax's death so it's safe to enter the level, maybe even lure him out to simplify things later with all the cats that normally roam DD:7.
    Second thing is, crowning is unaffected by the amount of artifacts generated.
    Artifacts only affect PRE crown (or POST crown), as in non-extreme alignment, so if you do not intend to do any of these two, you might as well collect all guaranteed artifacts and get crowned at your leisure.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

So, that was my issue (of course). I thought 'favors you greatly' was the new 'extremely close'...got confused by the adom Piety wiki...

First character I tried again on found an altar on the last level of the Puppy Cave! I crowned and post-crowned Super quick! (Shirt of the Saints and Wyrmlance!)

Thats super interesting that artifact generation doesn't affect crowning (!), thanks for the tip blasphemous!
    Thanks Lars for the tip as well, I've never had any issue with him, but maybe its because i've been waiting to take him on, in order to not generate the torc...

Thanks again all for the super fast replies!

Quote Originally Posted by flingflaves View Post
    Thats super interesting that artifact generation doesn't affect crowning (!)
    Yup, so you will always be able to be crowned. As I understand it, pre- and postcrowns are there as a favor to characters who haven't found many artifacts yet, to even things out a bit. I usually precrown early if I find a good altar, and then wait with crowning until I'm done switching alignments. I usually find that more pre-/postcrowns than 1 is not worth the hassle.

As always,
    Minotauros

two precrowns might well be worth it if the Alter is on PC5 (or in the same room as stairs to it), qua the increased spawn rate on the cavernous levels.

Best Alter in my mind would be Lawful, with Chaotic close and Neutral clear last ... the inconvenience of you being unable to step on a chaotic alter if there is an intelligent mob within sight, is in my mind enough for Lawful to be a better alignment.
    Closed Gate with: Orc Barbarian, Orc Paladin
    Ultra'd with: Gnome Weaponsmith (L+)