Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone tested the "fixed" killer bug corpse effects?

Looking back to the initial change: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=118
    Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
    Now potential and unaltered stats are used in all places I could find.
    It's entirely possible that TB missed some training methods, but it seems like the intent is to not take modifiers of any kind into account.

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    Seriously doubt that. Could it have been the effect of something else, i.e. another corruption or Athletics?
    No, it was one of 2 corruptions I had, that automatically disallows the only corruption that could possibly raise my str. I was playing a mist elf wizard with no athletics skill. These were random stat gains, back to back like if I was training my strength in the early game.

My experience is consistent with Blank4u47's. Corruptions (and also effects of aging) let you train attributes beyond natural values.

Quote Originally Posted by yhal003 View Post
    My experience is consistent with Blank4u47's. Corruptions (and also effects of aging) let you train attributes beyond natural values.
    Aging actually changes base stats, so that is to be expected.

As for corruptions, I did a couple basic tests in exploration mode in r65. Trollish chaos knight with base 25 To and the very light corruption, giving him a modified score of 20 To. I ate 12 morgia and leveled up; did not get an increase to To. Mist elf chaos knight with base 18 Dx and tentacle mouth corruption, giving him a modified score of 25 Dx. I used a bunch of moss of mareilon; was still able to get Dx increases while waiting around. So, it doesn't seem like corruptions affect training with herbs, at least.

EDIT: Also tested St training via burden. Mist elf chaos knight with base 18 St and the very light corruption, giving him a modified score of 14 St. Ran around the wilderness while strained! and was able to get St increases. So, corruptions actually do affect weight training.
    Last edited by Grond; 07-24-2016 at 07:03 PM.

I actually like it this way... Not being able to use herbs, but still being able to keep your character at least workable with basic strength training. I would, however, suggest NOT allowing the character to keep the 'extra' trained strength after curing the corruption.
    My orc thief just died.

Quote Originally Posted by sylph View Post
    I actually like it this way... Not being able to use herbs, but still being able to keep your character at least workable with basic strength training. I would, however, suggest NOT allowing the character to keep the 'extra' trained strength after curing the corruption.
    It was a lot, lot better when you were able to train everything using "training devices" like ring of weakness - it made all those seemingly useless items actually useful, as well as offset their downsides by allowing to gradually adapt to them.
    The only thing that is broken is herbs and herb training - that's what should be fixed!
    Herbs make characters stay for a long time on the same level, which contradicts the main gameplay (and attraction) of roguelikes - level exploration.

IMHO, it would be a lot better if the whole "game of life" herb proliferation mechanic was completely abandoned, with herbs spawning just like monsters instead (though fat chance of that, since it is such an ancient feature).

FWIW as of r65 ring of weakness still works; it will let you weight train up to your potential strength. Of course, it is probably safest to do this while waiting around instead of exploring; so, doesn't seem any less degenerate than herb farming.

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    EDIT: Also tested St training via burden. Mist elf chaos knight with base 18 St and the very light corruption, giving him a modified score of 14 St. Ran around the wilderness while strained! and was able to get St increases. So, corruptions actually do affect weight training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    FWIW as of r65 ring of weakness still works; it will let you weight train up to your potential strength. Of course, it is probably safest to do this while waiting around instead of exploring; so, doesn't seem any less degenerate than herb farming.
    Makes zero sense for strength using modified values while other stats using base values. As much as some of the posters "like" it, it's a bug. Either it gets fixed or we go back to 1.1.1 with training based on current values (for consistency sake).