Thread: What if Herbs were replicating only when the character is not on their level?

Default What if Herbs were replicating only when the character is not on their level?

One of the worst thing about herbs and herb training in ADOM is that it distracts the player from exploration, making him stay on the same level for a very long time - which is absolutely not fun!
    What do you think about a possible solution where the herbs only replicate then the player is away from their level, the further away - the greater the chance of it?

It would probably be really annoying, and cause you to spend more real-life-time dedicated to farming herbs. If herbs start to grow some static distance from the level, then you just spend a bunch of time on a distant level and periodically return to the herb level. If you somehow require exploring new levels for herbs to grow, then you have an ever longer trek back to the herb level. Either way breaks the flow of exploration as much as w5'ing a bunch on the herb level and then going on your merry way.

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    What do you think about a possible solution where the herbs only replicate then the player is away from their level, the further away - the greater the chance of it?
    Manipulating them into stable patches would like... jump out of level, w5, jump back, check herbs, repeat... Not some thing I would call fun.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

OK, so the problem is still with the "game of life" herb proliferation mechanics.

Honestly, a random herb spawning would be so much better....

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    OK, so the problem is still with the "game of life" herb proliferation mechanics.

Honestly, a random herb spawning would be so much better....
    Well, if they respawn not really. If they don't... someone gets they 30+morgia and someone won't.

I've played series (~10) games without herbs and they honestly not that big of deal for strong class (chaos knights and beastfighters in my series). But passing on 5+ in toughness, willpower and Dx, while picking healing and food in the process... just too good to ignore.

If you want to avoid 'exploration stop' -- options are rather limited. Either just remove stat training (without it would be like mining for crystals and very few people ever do that), or remove special herb supporting levels (just spawn some random herbs rather frequently, which would not go through any cycles - it would add quite some swing and Adom does not to seem be designed that way (all that guaranteed gear)).

Honestly the only sensible suggestion about herbs was the one which suggested her rows should be randomized... 4x morgia squares or pepper growing next to spenseweed...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Well, if they respawn not really. If they don't... someone gets they 30+morgia and someone won't.
    just spawn some random herbs rather frequently, which would not go through any cycles
    The way I see it, they would respawn (or rather, new herbs would spawn if you've picked out all the existing herbs) much more rarely - i.e. once a day. But there would be a lot more of them on various levels.