Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strongest single Artifact

I think the answer is probably True Strength, but assuming we're only counting random ones, it's got to be Preserver or BoW. Both regeneration, both extremely useful intrinsics and stat gains, both lock down an inventory slot for the rest of the game no matter what.

With weapons/armour there's less of a dropoff between the very best artifacts and #2.

At level 8 on any PC I'd probably say Bracers of War as well.

I'd nominate Natures Companion - 15 speed and the two most useful immunities. It's like a.. double dragon scale mail sewn together with quickling hair as thread. Find a giant slug or ankheg corpse for acid immunity, and crown with cold immunity and you've got all 4

early game: preserver for me since you get +para +regen which is huge early game.
    any other time: Executor. That thing is just so damn strong.
    Wins:
    Gnome Assassin / Dwarven Paladin (ULE) / Ratling Duelist (UNE) / High Elf Archer / Gnomish Wizard x ~5 / Gray Elven Wizard (UCG) - Archmage / Gnomish Weaponsmith / Grey Elf Elementalist / Dwarven Priest / Trollish Barbarian / Drakling Farmer / Mist Elf Wizard / Human Beastfighter / Ratling Archer (UNE) / Gnomish Mindcrafter

Classes Left
    Many!

yeah that is also why I would normally have a slight preference for Preserver over the bracers if I had the choice, paralysis resistance.

Ironically, True Aim is actually a contender here nowadays.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

true aim is a good point - that thing is seriously strong. Though it does have the downside of being a few more extra key presses which is a negative for lazy players like me!
    Wins:
    Gnome Assassin / Dwarven Paladin (ULE) / Ratling Duelist (UNE) / High Elf Archer / Gnomish Wizard x ~5 / Gray Elven Wizard (UCG) - Archmage / Gnomish Weaponsmith / Grey Elf Elementalist / Dwarven Priest / Trollish Barbarian / Drakling Farmer / Mist Elf Wizard / Human Beastfighter / Ratling Archer (UNE) / Gnomish Mindcrafter

Classes Left
    Many!

There are two clear winners which are useful every time. The rest depend slightly on the situation.

1. Preserver (because -Para is slightly more useful than -Deth in the midgame, and +Rgen is awesome, also with herbs and Wi boost, spellcasters get Wi to 32)
    2. Bracers of War (-Deth and +Rgen)
    3. Vanquisher (you need to play really carefully, but the rest of the time you can just kick ass)
    4. Purifier (making all temples and other special places a dance)
    5. Sun's Messenger (in hopes of finding greater undead vaults)

Bubblin' under: Robes of Resistance, Ring of Immunity, Protector, Ironfist and the Crown of Leadership.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Don't forget +crit on the bracers .

BoW has:
    +8 DX
    + Death
    +crit
    +confusion (no need to swap the gear to -confusion stuff )
    (+stun, but who cares).]
    +8,+4

Preserver:
    +para
    +7 willpower
    (+poison, wh ocares)
    +4,+4

For me -death, -confusion and +crit are better than -para. well, again since I typically play non-elven fighter classes +Dx is better than +Wi...

p.s. Vanquisher? like seriously?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    For me -death, -confusion and +crit are better than -para. well, again since I typically play non-elven fighter classes +Dx is better than +Wi...
    -Deth is rarely needed and it's not before the endgame when you start facing all-of-sudden DR enemies. Also, AMW is available very early. Paralyzation resistance is much more useful especially in the midgame, and unless you happen to have it intrinsically, it'll require an amulet anyways. As for -Conf, it's useful, but also very easily dealt with as rings are rather abundant. But it's a matter of playstyle and preference, and like I said, BoW is also awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    p.s. Vanquisher? like seriously?
    YES. There's no other artifact which turns the game into more gory bloody fun.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.