Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: IGB update

Just a few cents from me:
    I prefer wiki for the easier to use search functions and the option to edit relevant entries myself, as more experimental data is obtained during my playthroughs.
    Online/offline is not a problem, there would have to be a nuclear war for this to start being an issue.
    Ads don't really bother me, they are small enough that they don't distract me from reading.

What wiki lacks are mentioned pages with all items wearable, all artifacts, all monsters, etc. and the parameters of all these.
    That's the part I like about IGB. Although wiki has discussions, I liked the way it was done in IGB.
    A good example of that was the herbs page, which listed different ways of managing the issue and people could try any of them to decide what suits their particular needs/scenario/whatever.
    I believe these would be the strengths that would make IGB valuable, since otherwise it can't really compete with the wiki.

Finally, IGB would have to be continuously updated because new stuff appears in the game quite often these days.
    I seem to recall IGB being updated rather irregularly, which quickly puts it out of touch with what the game plays like at the moment. That doesn't happen to wiki.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by IGB View Post
    Almost 12 years old and not authentic. The readme1st.txt file distributed with ADOM (which is otherwise full of license terms, copyrights etc) does not state that disassembling of the code to provide documentation isn't allowed. Nowhere on the official ADOM website you can find that. However in the documentation section, there is a link to HTML ADOM Manual, which is actually part of the Improved Guidebook.
    http://www.ancardia.com/documentation.html

So Soirana, until there is recent statement from TB, just finally shut up.

And at the very least, stop being rude.
    steam version readme:
    Code:
    III.E. What about the sources for the game?
    ===========================================

In the past a couple of folks were very insensitive about my notions
      regarding ADOM variants and argued "If the game is available without
      costs I can do with the sources whatever I like".  Those folks are...
      well... socially retarded would be too nice as a description.  Let's just
      assume that those people really made me wonder about what I'm doing here.
      They really should try to create something in the scope of ADOM only once
      in their lives and then they might understand.  Anyways, those folks
      annoyed the hell out of me and I've decided that I'm not going to
      release the sources for ADOM.

This will have a good and a bad effect. The good effect is that ADOM
      will remain the most challenging and mysterious of all roguelike games,
      simply because you just can't take a look into the sources and find
      all the secrets right away once a new version is released. The bad
      effect (for some people) is that they can't toy around with the sources,
      create variants, etc. I can live very well with that and thus it will
      happen.
    I suggest you stop piling lies.
    Document clearly states:
    a) wish of challenges and mysteries not to be dissected
    b) his opinion on persons like you
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post

What wiki lacks are mentioned pages with all items wearable, all artifacts, all monsters, etc. and the parameters of all these.
    No? For example, http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Artifact
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

That just says he doesn't like variants and that sources won't be released, ever. And that a good effect of that is that ADOM remains mysterious.
    And seriously, I even like that. It says nothing about disassembling of the code to create documentation, which would reveal secrets long after player's experience, and I certainly won't be putting true secrets (spear of raw steal, weird tome, rolf, volcano, omnipotence) into IGB until they are discovered by standard means.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Just a few cents from me:
    I prefer wiki for the easier to use search functions and the option to edit relevant entries myself, as more experimental data is obtained during my playthroughs.
    If you study the IGB's table of contents for a while, you won't need search anymore. You will know where everything is located. For people like me, who likes details, it is an advantage that you can actually read through it, without missing anything. That's something hardly possible with wiki's 1551 articles, most of them just containing the same sentences over and over (it can be found as part of generic loot etc). So wiki's tables are missing important stats (see the list of artifacts for example - compare with IGB's), because well, you can find them on the items page (so what, just click forth and back 150 times).

Finally, IGB would have to be continuously updated because new stuff appears in the game quite often these days.
    I seem to recall IGB being updated rather irregularly, which quickly puts it out of touch with what the game plays like at the moment. That doesn't happen to wiki.
    Yes, if there is major update, then guidebook needs to be updated as well. I try to do that as best as I can. But currently, apart form the very beginning, the IGB is mostly ADOM 1.1.1. That's why this thread.

That just says he doesn't like variants and that sources won't be released, ever. And that a good effect of that is that ADOM remains mysterious.
    And seriously, I even like that. It says nothing about disassembling of the code to create documentation, which would reveal secrets long after player's experience, and I certainly won't be putting true secrets (spear of raw steal, weird tome, rolf, volcano, omnipotence) into IGB until they are discovered by standard means.
    variants are actually covered in III. F so you can leave that thing out.

Documentation typically is not half -stolen thing in which someone tries to insert adds for profit.(I guess now it is not stolen, but compiled from open source without any knowledge).

The thing is you or me or anyone else does not get to decide, what is true secret and what is not.
    (especially since there is no real reason to do so).
    In the essence, there is no good and bad poking in the code. Most people got that fact about 15 years ago, and the ones who could not resist doing opposite had at least sense to keep it to themselves instead of presenting themselves as heroes.

S, I repeatedly suggest you fuck yourself into some other direction than these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    variants are actually covered in III. F so you can leave that thing out.

Documentation typically is not half -stolen thing in which someone tries to insert adds for profit.(I guess now it is not stolen, but compiled from open source without any knowledge).

The thing is you or me or anyone else does not get to decide, what is true secret and what is not.
    (especially since there is no real reason to do so).
    In the essence, there is no good and bad poking in the code. Most people got that fact about 15 years ago, and the ones who could not resist doing opposite had at least sense to keep it to themselves instead of presenting themselves as heroes.

S, I repeatedly suggest you fuck yourself into some other direction than these forums.
    Soirana Perhaps you should let someone with actual authority judge whether or not he's infringing upon the rules? You are not the site administrator, so please just stop.

Also, if your arguments don't persuade anyone, please don't resort to foul language.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Also, if your arguments don't persuade anyone, please don't resort to foul language.
    He hass been shown that direction for last two decades or so (like here -https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.roguelike.adom/-ve5SP7HJqE ).
    At this point it is not foul language it's proper evaluation. If it was otherwise, he would have packed gear away from Adom long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    He hass been shown that direction for last two decades or so (like here -https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.roguelike.adom/-ve5SP7HJqE ).
    At this point it is not foul language it's proper evaluation. If it was otherwise, he would have packed gear away from Adom long time ago.
    Thanks for the link, it allowed me to be more informed about this. I'm not still fully decided on this, as there appears to be an enormous wall of text involved. Just curious though, Has anyone actually contacted AW about this?

I'm using the Wiki as primary source of information
    Sure, just don't forget to follow the https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.