Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: IGB update

Wikia is currently credited in the Introduction. For example, section 0.9.10 uses Wikia's corresponding articles. Similarly 0.13.16, 0.13.17, and there may be few more. I have no problem with providing attribution, even if I personally think that it is unnecessary. Please provide an example on how to properly attribute if you think that's so important.

Quote Originally Posted by IGB View Post
    Wikia is currently credited in the Introduction. For example, section 0.9.10 uses Wikia's corresponding articles. Similarly 0.13.16, 0.13.17, and there may be few more. I have no problem with providing attribution, even if I personally think that it is unnecessary. Please provide an example on how to properly attribute if you think that's so important.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...ting_Wikipedia

If I get correctly, you should clearly mark which parts come from wiki.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.PelicanPants View Post
    in the IGB is the stuff about stat raising still accurate? with garth raising max stats, or is that not possible now? i'm not sure if it's necessary to include the older outdated information there, and with corpse effects not always giving the stat bonuses since stat caps it would be nice to have clarification on this type of stuff. I admit I haven't read the entire guidebook since 1.2 update but i notice some and i'm glad it's there, especially the rest of the info about new classes/races
    I don't know for sure whether it is still accurate, it was accurate for 1.1.1 and AFAIK it was not changed. See 0.3.3 on how stat bonuses work, but you probably right, so now you can't raise attributes beyond maximum? Not even with Garth? As I said, IGB is mostly 1.1.1, and there is a lot of work needed to make it R+. Listing all changed aspects would help immensely in that regard.

the "4.3.5 Ultra endings step by step" could be updated to let people know when they can switch away from C alignment?
    Oh so it was changed that C alignment is required only to receive the first 2 quests from Gaab Baay? Good to know, but IIRC C alignment was required for all her quests in 1.1.1.

Hello there!

As promised long ago, the aim is to update the Improved Guidebook for versions after the resurrection - which I call collectively ADOM R+, or simply R+. I have already started, the manual and chapters 0.1 and 0.2 are already updated. What do you think about the format? (boxing in magenta). I still want the R+ info to be separated somehow from ADOM 1.1.1, which existed as the latest version for about 10 years.

I'm using the Wiki as primary source of information - apart from in-game testing, but the information provided here if often vague or simply missing. Unfortunately there seems to be no other source for ADOM R+. So I'm missing a lot of information, such as new monsters corpse effects for 0.3.3, the preferred sacrifice modifiers for Mist Elves and Ratlings for 0.2.3.3.1, the class aptitudes for Chaos Knights and Duelists for 0.4.5. Also the history messages effects for 0.1.5 would be nice. Then of course information about the new monsters and items for the appendices. And there is a lot more. Additionally I fear that a lot of the information which was true for 1.1.1 might not be accurate anymore. Please, if there are any competent code divers your help would be very appreciated.

Lately I have been contacted by some guy called Lucas Siqueira, he created a Single-file Improved Guidebook - you can find a link to his effort in Appendix Q. Seriously though, I think this is maybe a step back. Why single file? It might help a bit for editing - such as easier search and replace, but from the user's POV it's simply more cumbersome. He also tries to mix the manual into it - and I think a manual as a separate document is preferable. Still some features are nice, like mixing in the colored maps or boxing of monster stats and artifacts, but too minor in my opinion, as providing the R+ info is more important now.

Even if you are not a code diver (such as myself), any comment or suggestion is valuable. Thanks for attention!

--
    find the IGB here: http://adomgb.sweb.cz
    Before the wiki ADGB was good but I was never able to get to midgame.
    After watching Silfirs youtube playthrough a lot of the game mechanic pieces fell into place.
    I've used the guidebook from time to time to read on certain areas but I don't need it anymore.

The way it presents locations and Coc layout is superior.
    A few guidelines are slightly incorrect (herbs and garth training for example).

The best thing I've found outside of these is a gif explaining Mino Maze layout.

The wiki IS available offline, say hello to wget (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget), due to web page construction it could loop but getting most isnt an issue.

All in all, if you enjoy the work, sure update it but in this day and age I'd say it's a niche guidebook to a niche game.
    If you want to be more productive, add to the wiki.

in either situation money would go to research whether it's from business profits or taxes (govt funded research isn't repay it's prepay), and both are completely possible. yeah they decided to go against copyright and 'funding further research' in that instance... to save lives in their community, and i'm glad they did.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_drug#Economics
    Comercially viable pill has a 'prepay' cost of 2.4billion. There is literally no chance that ever happens from government pocket.

Let's be realistic business is not paying that for free either, they essentially get their money from goverments via healthcare systems (or people who pay directly).

I see nothing good in some african cheapskates trying to piggy back on other countries (cause cases like that means prices going up for all, business will get their profit anyway) instead of developing proper health system. Especially since (as far as I know) AIDS is not truly curable, thus I fail to see why one should endorse communism for the case like this.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

promise i won't say anything else offtopic :>
    well i lied, sorry to soirana for saying he ruined topic or anything and i wasnt trying to make anything worse.
    adom really is easy top3 game out of a literal million so i just hope everyone gets to enjoy it whether your name is soirana/pavel/andy/thomas/anybody/gut (apparently he REALLY enjoyed...)

edit: yeah i agree proper development is better but they just did what they needed to do at the time imo. can't blame people for trying to survive. if development is lacking why not help instead of criticize
    Last edited by Mr.PelicanPants; 09-18-2016 at 10:56 AM.

can't blame people for trying to survive.
    Did the AIDS victims owned and operated factory? Given the general situation in Africa, can you be sure that mentioned victims living longer did not result in even more people being infected?

In general some people have a false idea that medicine is something beyond economics. Well, it's not.

I'm satisfied now that there is a direct mention that some info was taken from the wiki.

Adding references to individual parts of text (as in - this section references this wiki page) would be nice, for your own benefit if anything -- if the info is incorrect, it might be corrected on the wiki in later edits and it will be easier to track.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

So minor question - has anyone on this particular thread tried actually asking TB - aka The Creator about this particular subject?

He has been known to both read and post on this forum.

That I think, would immediately decide the argument one way or the other. (and probably should have been done in the first place.)

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

The IGB is currently updated in sections 0.1 - 0.9. Please concentrate only to these parts to find out and report whether there is something missing or incorrect, especially regarding current ADOM version. Thanks!