Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ADOM Ultra-Ultra Competition!

I thought it counted only your total death count, not your high score.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    I noticed these games ended up in a separate "Custom hall of fame" not viewable from the main menu.
    I wonder what highscore goes towards opening bug temple ... all highscores together or one highscore with 100 entries.
    Good question... I would imagine that it would be all highscores, but it's possible that the adom.cnt doesn't even look at high scores, rather the total number of generated character deaths.

Got a GE archer going pretty well. Something like this is definitely the way to go, IMHO. PV is still pretty low (12ish), but it's fairly easy to maintain a decent arrow supply thanks to barbarians/fletchery. Got lucky with a quaffed PoEX and have a To potential of 29 now, so after a bit of herb grinding he should be a beast. Also got super lucky with scorched spear in the Black Market that I was able to rob with a potion of invis (!). So I'm up to 4 artifacts... pot of literacy, scorch spear, donor tome (I'm assuming you can sac?), and moon sickle.

Loot supply overall seems a bit better this game compared to my farmer.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Got a GE archer going pretty well. Something like this is definitely the way to go, IMHO. PV is still pretty low (12ish), but it's fairly easy to maintain a decent arrow supply thanks to barbarians/fletchery. Got lucky with a quaffed PoEX and have a To potential of 29 now, so after a bit of herb grinding he should be a beast. Also got super lucky with scorched spear in the Black Market that I was able to rob with a potion of invis (!). So I'm up to 4 artifacts... pot of literacy, scorch spear, donor tome (I'm assuming you can sac?), and moon sickle.

Loot supply overall seems a bit better this game compared to my farmer.
    Impressive. Don't you get cursed/doomed from stealing or is it just a chance?

I've made a few random tries, most successful one:
    Got a candle dwarf wand merchant , have a wand of fire, buy -1+1 boots in thief shop.
    Run through most of smc but downstairs, blanket and tension room was hidden, managed to get out. large shield +5+1 (maybe found axe here)
    Did VD and PC, found a potion shop could afford some healing, booze and carrot for blup, rocking an axe of penetration.
    Not a single piece of armour found!

Almost died to barbarians in the wild, had to pray, felt embarrassing.
    Down COC I find a bit of morgia currently 23 To.
    Luck in bigroom with stairs close.
    In dwarf town with a pitful amount of gear, the si gold feels even more op than usual.
    Bought cursed orcish helmet +1+2, felt luxurious.
    Have optoinal weapon, murderous axe.
    Lost cloak and sling. pv 13. 127 hps, lvl12.
    Gained, healing, swim.

I could maaaaaaaaaaaaybe see myself grind through a gate closer, but I dunno, this is seriously gimped.
    Just trying to grind animated forest with this ....

I feel dropping an eternium or crystal shield in SMC would be such a gamechanger.
    The amount of gold dropped even with miser is soooo small and non dwarves while getting si gold, they're not really hoarding.
    Time to try and push a dwarf candle weaponsmith through smc/ud.

Almost died to barbarians in the wild, had to pray, felt embarrassing.
    LOL ok this was funnier to me than it should've been.

FYI, cursing and dooming only happens if you piss off the merchant while nuetral(cursed) or lawful(doomed)
    Otherwise, stealing is concequence free

Impressive. Don't you get cursed/doomed from stealing or is it just a chance?
    You only get cursedoomed if you get caught. Potion of invis (usually? maybe stealth check as well?) lets you steal a couple items for no penalty beyond maybe a small alignment hit.

I could maaaaaaaaaaaaybe see myself grind through a gate closer, but I dunno, this is seriously gimped.
    Just trying to grind animated forest with this ....

I feel dropping an eternium or crystal shield in SMC would be such a gamechanger.
    The amount of gold dropped even with miser is soooo small and non dwarves while getting si gold, they're not really hoarding.
    Time to try and push a dwarf candle weaponsmith through smc/ud.
    I think only eternium halberds, quarterstaves, and 2H swords can drop in SMC at level 1. At least, I don't recall seeing anything else. The guaranteed shield is always small/medium/wood/large of the regular iron variety.

I honestly wonder if TH/Miser make any difference at all on this mode.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    You only get cursedoomed if you get caught. Potion of invis (usually? maybe stealth check as well?) lets you steal a couple items for no penalty beyond maybe a small alignment hit.

I think only eternium halberds, quarterstaves, and 2H swords can drop in SMC at level 1. At least, I don't recall seeing anything else. The guaranteed shield is always small/medium/wood/large of the regular iron variety.

I honestly wonder if TH/Miser make any difference at all on this mode.
    TH would be an amazing asset in this competition, as it adds 12.5% chance of drop if monster wouldn't drop anything anyways. Look at the wiki for the numbers, its quite in-depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    TH would be an amazing asset in this competition, as it adds 12.5% chance of drop if monster wouldn't drop anything anyways. Look at the wiki for the numbers, its quite in-depth.
    The setting definitely nerfs the drops on TH very hard. You get much fewer drops with TH + reduced drops than with regular drops and no TH. Likewise, even with Miser you receive much less.

Clearly the solution is to do this systematically Running some Paladins through Big room under various conditions. I'm ignoring stuff that is obviously guaranteed drops (eg. pixie gold, thrown missiles) and floor drops.

First test: Fighting around Big Room with Dwarf Paladin. Low drops, no TH. 200 kills. Collected 20 corpses, 12 non-corpse drops total. 519 gold.
    Second test: Big Room again with Gnome Paladin with TH starting talent. 200 kills. Collected 17 corpses, 16 non-corpse drops. 1074 gold.
    Third test: Regular settings, no TH or miser. 200 kills, 14 corpses, 33 drops. 1171 gold.

This is all complicated by the facts of small number statistics and varying loot drop rates for monsters, but the setting approximately cuts the drop rate to approximately 1/3 of normal. Once you get TH, you're up to about half of normal drop rate and miser puts you back to about normal gold. Corpse rate seems to be around 10%.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 10-06-2016 at 11:02 PM.

Ah, good to know. I can't wait until I have time to play. Question though, what's the easiest tool for recording the game? I have 0 experience with recording software.