Thread: Recommend a race/class for Ordinary Chaos God (story mode)

Default Recommend a race/class for Ordinary Chaos God (story mode)

So far I've gotten a normal lawful ending as a dwarf paladin and an ultra ending as a lawful drakish barbarian, both in story mode. I'm almost done "stupidest chaos follower" on a troll chaos knight (again, on story mode) so the only thing that's left is for me to get the Ordinary Chaos God ending.

I'm a fan of melee classes, as the above illustrates (although I've gotten far on a gnomish wizard, and I've played around a little with an archer and an assassin), but I wouldn't mind trying something different. I'm also a fan of extremely specialized characters, so I'm considering troll healer with the candle sign, but that might be too similar to the troll chaos knight I've currently got going. I might give archer or assassin another try, but I have no idea what race to go with. I've also thought about weaponsmith, but it seems like they don't get to actually use their abilities until later in the game, since you need to find a pick axe to get ore and there's no guarantee you'll find a forge.

Actually the weaponsmith doesn't absolutely need ores and pickaxe because of the lvl 6 class power, and they have find weakness... try a hurthling or gnome weaponsmith, it's fun!

Weaponsmiths are great fun. They start with their strength score adjusted so they are not burdened by their carrying weight (edit: this means they generally start with 19-20 strength. Anvils are heavy). They also have concentration which guarantees they'll be good spellcasters around level 25 (you'll have to dedicate a few painful level ups to +1 literacy advances). You have access to a guaranteed forge in a non-corrupting zone in the ice queen domain, and you don't really need to mine to generate enough metal; their class ability allows them to melt down metallic items. Makes you very happy to run into spear traps.

If you don't know what to play you could always go with Bard, they're a complete coin flip with their random starting skillset.

If you want something drastically different, try Hurthling Monk - they have almost all the best skills but also lots of downsides due to low Strength and carry weight class restriction, so their gameplay completely stands out from everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    I'm a fan of melee classes, .... I'm also a fan of extremely specialized characters,
    In that case you should at least play one game as a duelist! Drakeling is the strongest race choice.

Beastfighter is fun too, pick a race that adds find weakness like Orc or Dark elf.

And my favourite combo, dwarf monk. Pick all the PV talents and Immune to Pain.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

My favorite class combo is the Mist Elf Healer (born in the month of the candle of course). Mist Elves have absurdly low toughness, but they reduce all incoming melee damage by half. I play the character like a weak fighter at first, but as we come into mid-game the healer can really start slinging some decent spells. I'll often dip down to a chaotic alignment early and use necromancy to create zombies to check for traps and body block missiles. I usually also learn pickpocketing from Yerguis and "prove myself" so that I can train the detect traps skill.

There is something undeniably cool about being poisoned and diseased at level 6 and just continuing on as normal. If you like super specialized this might be worth a spin!

Go with a mindcrafter, dark elven one for extra difficulty and some nice skills.
    It's primarily a melee class, with the added bonus of having the nice mind powers.
    Pretty unique in terms of gameplay. Also quite difficult but we're talking about story mode, right?
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I'm a fan of monk. Writing those delicious scrolls of chaos removal / scrolls of education with no mana penalty :3 Also, their instagib class power at higher levels is awesome. And they get no penalty for using weapons plus they are good at unarmed fighting in case you run into a lot of disarming monsters early on / don't want to corrode that weapon of yours on oozes. And they're decent spellcasters too.

An ultra usually (edit: ordinary chaos god takes a lot of turns too) takes a lot of turns unless you rush it, so you'll probably run into an excess wish or two => magical writing sets => never have to worry about corruption thanks to the ability to write scrolls without penalty (just keep an eye on your PP, you don't want to die while scribing ).
    Sometimes I wish I would have a smaller dick.