Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for recovering from ADOM burnout

Unhappy Tips for recovering from ADOM burnout

Ever since the public R60 release of ADOM came about, I played it for so many hours every day until I suddenly got out of touch with it, i.e. got burnout. Even things indirectly related to playing the game really irritate me: the ADOM Wiki, gameplay videos, strategy guides, and heck even some posts on this very forum (not meant to offend you regulars, but that's how I truly feel about ADOM at the moment). I tried other activities like reading, listening to music, and helping out, but sadly don't think I'll get interested in ADOM again anytime soon. What is your advice on how to get out of this phase?

My first tl;dr ever!: I got heavy ADOM burnout! How do I get rid of it?
    "This light... it feels so pure... I feel as if my heart is washed of all the evil against my friends and family. With this new power, now I am ready to confront her..." ~Frank, after fighting the greater rage demon in his final trial at the Shining Palace

Maybe play another roguelike for a while? ADOM is one of those games where you put tons of time into a single character, so losing over and over again can really destroy your morale after a while. I often will switch to a more coffee-break roguelike if I'm not feeling like investing a ton of time into a game. Try out Brogue or The Ground Gives Way for a more arcade like RL experience, and then when you're ready for more character development and depth jump back into ADOM!

Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    Maybe play another roguelike for a while? ADOM is one of those games where you put tons of time into a single character, so losing over and over again can really destroy your morale after a while. I often will switch to a more coffee-break roguelike if I'm not feeling like investing a ton of time into a game. Try out Brogue or The Ground Gives Way for a more arcade like RL experience, and then when you're ready for more character development and depth jump back into ADOM!
    Thanks for the reply! I think another game will make for a great diversion from the complexity and scale of ADOM. I happen to have a bunch of On the House games from Origin that I'll try out. I have tried Brogue, but the other coffeebreak roguelike sounds nice, too. Glad for the pointers!
    "This light... it feels so pure... I feel as if my heart is washed of all the evil against my friends and family. With this new power, now I am ready to confront her..." ~Frank, after fighting the greater rage demon in his final trial at the Shining Palace

If you don't mind paying a bit of cash, take a look at Darkest Dungeon.

Best thing to do with burnout is just give it a rest for awhile. ADOM's not going anywhere.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by HolySpellswordFrank View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I think another game will make for a great diversion from the complexity and scale of ADOM. I happen to have a bunch of On the House games from Origin that I'll try out. I have tried Brogue, but the other coffeebreak roguelike sounds nice, too. Glad for the pointers!
    I try to invent personal side goals.
    Most of mine have been on the grindy side (thief=pick pocket everymob, push stuff with smithing, go a bit extra for that huge pile of cash),
    various speed runs is somewhat of a freshener, or just skip one or two of the places you always visit.

But the best is probably to mix it with other games (or possibly non gaming activities) and sometimes leave it for a few months.
    I'd rather mix it with games that are vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    If you don't mind paying a bit of cash, take a look at Darkest Dungeon.

Best thing to do with burnout is just give it a rest for awhile. ADOM's not going anywhere.
    I second that. It's been there for 20 years, it will be there for 20 more, just give it time to grow on you again, maybe have some kids and let them grow up to play it with you
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    I second that. It's been there for 20 years, it will be there for 20 more, just give it time to grow on you again, maybe have some kids and let them grow up to play it with you
    Lol, true! That's totally what I did, except they keep trying to press random keys while I try to play!

Well, you could do something else for a while? Read a book, climb a mountain, watch cat videos on youtube, go on a holiday to Hawaii and get a backrub..
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

All of the above.

Personally I like to mix with Europa Universals 4, Civilization 4 (never got into 5) and Dota 2.

Many good solutions in this thread (my backup roguelike is DCSS), but one approach not mentioned is just going easy-mode in ADOM. I don't know your level of expertise, but grinding away with challenging characters [for your level] can really take it out of you. It can be refreshing to roll up a gnomish beastfighter or some flavor of duelist
    gate closers: GeWi GnMo(unarmed) DeAs/Pa/Mi(staves)/Ra GePr DrBb HrMo | p7: MeBf | p17: GnPr | p20: DrDu GnAs DeCk MeWp OrBf GnTh MeHe | R57: MeDu | R101: DrAs (26,674 turns) GnDu (26,748) DrAs (18,533)
    ULE: HeRa — OCG: DeMi
    currently speedrunning DrAs.