Thread: Interesting Alignment Effects for Raider Quest

Default Interesting Alignment Effects for Raider Quest

Was doing some testing on the kill Kranach quest, with the help of uncursed scrolls of balance:

Code:
    Lawful

2000 > kill > 2001 > turn in corpse > 2151 > chat > 2381 > collect reward > 2381
    2000 > kill > 2001 > chat > 2201 > collect reward > 2201 > turn in corpse > 2351
    2000 > kill > 2001 > chat > 2201 > turn in corpse > 2351 > collect reward > 2351

Neutral

0 > kill > 1 > turn in corpse > 151 > chat > 0 > collect reward > 0
    0 > kill > 1 > chat > 0 > collect reward >  0 > turn in corpse > 150
    0 > kill > 1 > chat > 0 > turn in corpse > 150 > collect reward > 150

Chaotic

-2000 > kill > -2000 > turn in corpse > -2000 > chat > -2000 > collect reward > -2000
    -2000 > kill > -2000 > chat > -2000 > collect reward > -2000 > turn in corpse > -2000
    -2000 > kill > -2000 > chat > -2000 > turn in corpse > -2000 > collect reward > -2000
    Picking up the reward never seems to be counted as a chaotic act. If alignment is neutral, the act of chatting with Tywat after killing Kranach is chaotic. Conventional wisdom seemed to be that leaving the 3000 gold on the ground was necessary to complete paragon of order. Was this changed at some point? Does picking up the reward disqualify you, even if your alignment doesn't drop?

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    If alignment is neutral, the act of chatting with Tywat after killing Kranach is chaotic.
    I believe it's balancing, not chaotic. Try with N- or NC and you will be able to observe that. There was a recent RFE where TB confirmed this behavior using an actual block of code.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    I believe it's balancing, not chaotic. Try with N- or NC and you will be able to observe that. There was a recent RFE where TB confirmed this behavior using an actual block of code.
    That would explain why it didn't take me below 0 alignment in two of the tests. However, doesn't it still disqualify you from paragon? And there is no good way to avoid the alignment reduction if you start at N=, since killing Kranach increases alignment.

However, doesn't it still disqualify you from paragon?
    That's awfully hard to test...

It would be interesting trying with CN (-2000 is C-,m right?), maybe quest line just draws you to extreme alignment?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    That's awfully hard to test...

It would be interesting trying with CN (-2000 is C-,m right?), maybe quest line just draws you to extreme alignment?
    Well, I will eventually be betting a paragon run on picking up the gold pieces not disqualifying you. But, the "don't pick up the reward" advice had to come from someone...

-2000 is just C (starting alignment level for chaotic race with non-aligned class/month). Results at CN are the same; no alignment change in either direction.

EDIT: For completeness sake: at N-, killing the raider, turning in the corpse, and chatting resulted in alignment gains ending up at -98. So, paragon-hopeful trollish healers born in the month of the book are safe to do raider quest.
    Last edited by Grond; 10-25-2016 at 05:40 AM.

But, the "don't pick up the reward" advice had to come from someone...
    People tend to invent some stuff (like pickpocketing dragons, handling trees, etc).

N thing was apparently known for 10+years (http://rec.games.roguelike.adom.nark...illing-kranach), nobody cared...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I can now confirm that picking up the Kranach reward does not actually disqualify you from getting platinum girdle.