Thread: Bludgeoned By My Best Friend

Default Bludgeoned By My Best Friend

I was playing a Gnomish Wizard. Early in the game, I had summoned a companion on the second level of the Dwarven Halls. The RNG was kind and gifted me a greater earth elemental. I named him Rocky. Through many close calls we dove deep until we reached D:47. All temples were cleared. I was crowned L+ with Robes of Resistance and had assembled the most ridiculous set of awesome equipment I've yet seen. I had 150 DV and 57 PV, teleport control and resistance to everything under the sun. But I was nothing next to Rocky. He had cleared the Mana Temple alone. He had taken a Greater Moloch one-on-one with barely a scratch. He was a beast.

We were assaulting a horde of Ancient Red Dragons on D:47 and I was feeling pretty confident due to being invisible and immune to fire. Blasting away with Frost Bolts, nimbly dodging attacks with Rocky at my side, I felt like this was it. This was my chance to beat this game after 15 years of playing off-and-on. Suddenly, I noticed Rocky take a huge dip in health, and I rushed to his side to start healing him. He was fighting a Great Red Wyrm, and I spent a few turns casting Cure Critical Wounds on him, barely breaking even against the damage he was taking while he slaughtered Ancient Red Dragons all around us.

Then suddenly, Rocky turned on me. I was beset by a flurry of blows, and one got past my DV and shredded 500+ HP, killing me in one shot. I was bludgeoned to death by my best friend. I presume the Wyrm had assaulted his mind and he had stumbled into me, or the Wyrm got past my confusion resistance and I'd accidentally stumbled into Rocky in my haste of trying to heal him, turning him hostile. I was too stunned and demoralized to read the logs.

This was the farthest I've ever gotten in the game. ;_;

Oh man that sucks pretty hard. When you feel ready, can you check the logs later? I now want to know what broke the strong bond you shared with Rocky.

I wonder if Rocky thought you were taking him for granite...

Harsh one. I tend to stay away from summoning until L50. It helps clear things out. The greater earth elementals are fantastic - regeneration is awesome.