Thread: Da Tank

Default Da Tank

Hello all. Its my first time post in this forum.
    My goal is to make a Dwarven TANK. I want to help me in gear selection, stats boost and talents. I dont care about dmg output. I only want to make the most tanky char, without scumming, the last 20 years.
    Goals- max hp
    - max PV/DV
    - many immunities and resistances.
    - huge reganaration

The idea started when i crated a drakish paladin with 130dv/105 pv in normal mode. with 1200 hp.

Your request is poorly defined. What do you mean by "no scumming"? Is smithing scummy? Is smithing as weaponsmith scummy? If you are relying on random drops, equipment choice and the resulting values will depend on what shows up.

PV and DV often compete, what exactly are you optimizing for? Moloch armour and eternium plate are very different. Regeneration sources stack, so the more the better, but you can select master cat ring with [0,5] and +16 dex or ring of regeneration. Barbarians get best HP, chaos knights might crown with nice boots, fighters get 25% PV bonus and might crown with bracers of war. Mist elves are better tanks than dwarves but fixing their HP situation is not easy.

Do you care about sources of dooming or corruption essence? If not, crown of chaos and shield of raw steel are good choices. What about True Strength side effects for those who commit chaos acts?

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    Hello all. Its my first time post in this forum.
    My goal is to make a Dwarven TANK. I want to help me in gear selection, stats boost and talents. I dont care about dmg output. I only want to make the most tanky char, without scumming, the last 20 years.
    Goals- max hp
    - max PV/DV
    - many immunities and resistances.
    - huge reganaration

The idea started when i crated a drakish paladin with 130dv/105 pv in normal mode. with 1200 hp.
    You can get a lot of characters very tanky but the extreme only happens on occation.
    As mentioned barb and smithing are good options, a smithed armour of life on a lvl 50 barb is fun.
    Also food preservation can be surprisingly good in the late game if you also get a lot of wyrms/ancient dragons (corpses can push stats high).

Of course you can go wizard and either grind for pogas/alchemy or the ultimate tank a wish engine.

I suggest lv 50 Dwarf necro with bunch of +To gear. (assuming it sill works). After ~+6To you want speed to do more in between resurections.

Being dwarf hels with getting stuff like hammerhead or Rolf set, but ultimately you want to get crowned with robes, so maybe some non-elf, non-dwarf would be better.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I'd recommend weaponsmith. Although any class can use smithing, it's way less time consuming to have a weaponsmith do it. They also get a guaranteed fire immunity (a bit to late to matter much imo) so that helps take care of multiple immunities somewhat. They also start with decent To and guaranteed 18 str. when you finally find a forge, you can boost your dv/pv up by a lot, and when you find regen items such as crown of regen and bracers of regen you can raise their dv/pv values up to 5 pretty easily, and a bit higher with some perseverance.

for the scummy question, just set a turn / time limit.
    ie, after 100,000 turns, what is the max DV / PV / HP / Regen rate.
    Make weights for the various factors so HP does not dominate, and call it a day.

IŽd suggest playing a weaponsmith, finding a moloch armor and melting it into a huge pile of eternium ingots.
    Never tried that myself, but it sounds like a fun way to get outrageous DV / PV without any ridicilous farming.

Regeneration and resistances aren't that hard to get in the endgame, the trickiest bit is perhaps gaining paralysis resistance. However, with pool sipping you can gain it, just be sure you have a spare blink dog corpse in store to deal with gaining teleportitis / losing teleport control - and don't be too greedy, know when to stop sipping.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I'd say with these new versions it's not worth it to sip pools unless you really need a wish. The tome of donors gives the "you feel well prepared" which takes care of all your resistance needs easily enough. As for smithing materials, I find treasure hunter to be adequate for my weaponsmith's meltable junk needs.

Hmm. Maybe there is a challenge we can do - generate a starting character to share, and give folks a fixed time & turn count to do the best they can in various categories.

Winner for HP, PV, DV, and combined PV + DV + HP/10 ?