Thread: The most recent, the most heartbreaking, and the most stupid death of my career

Default The most recent, the most heartbreaking, and the most stupid death of my career

Been playing for nearly two decades, and never achieved a legitimate ultra ending. That was about to change.

I gave Khelavaster an amulet of life-saving that I had found, and didn't even have to wish for. I bested the mummy lord in his pyramid and cleansed the dwarven graveyard. I satisfied the demented ratling. I swore Devotion to The One Who Kills, and became its champion. I solved the minotaur maze and vanquished their emperor. I completed Gaab'Bays quests, and earned the Medal of Chaos. I defeated the Orb Guardians and descended deep into the Caverns of Chaos. I slew the ancient blue wyrm in its lair to please Sharad-Waador and earn the artifact dagger Sting. I slew countless more ancient blue dragons for experience, and quaffed the many stat potions they dropped. I visited the Assassin Prince, and received the quest though he was hostile... The assassins panicked the first step I took off the stairs. I exploded Filk in a mighty fireball on level one of the infinite dungeon. The Mad Minstrel told me the location of the scintillating cave, where I vanquished the emperor moloch and read the crumpled scroll immediately, just like you're supposed to. A grateful Khelavaster conjured the Trident of the Red Rooster, which I used to destroy Keriax at the Ancient Stone Circle. I wrote a dozen scrolls of cure corruption to prepare myself for the final push, and held on to a blessed ring of djinni summoning, just in case. I cleared D50, and waited until I was corrupted beyond recognition. I took a deep breath and dove into the chaos gate, with the Medal and Crown tucked safely into my backpack, rather than on my neck and head. I was summarily devoured after failing the final test.

There is no force in Ancardia as powerful as my own ineptitude. Anyone have the number for the suicide prevention hotline?
    Last edited by Snock; 09-29-2017 at 05:50 PM.

If it is any consolation, you are not the only one with spectaculair failed games. My most notable failures were an ultra attempt where I left the chaos trinity on D:48, and an OCG attempt where I was destroyed by greater balors after praying on the chaos plane.

You have played a memorable game and mentioned to break through all of the hurdles to finish an ultra. That's a succes in its own right. Losing due to stupid mistakes is part of ADOM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I tried to enter CG once without being sufficiently corrupted. And once when i was not of extreme alignment. And once i forgot about -Para so i got paralyzed at first AD turn and never recovered.
    And my barbarian died from poison on D:50 after killing all balors and closing the gate, because he lost -Poison somewhere, so i took over hundred poison damage per tick from chaos servants.

Losing is fun. Relish it.

Painful!

Some similar experience for me (both before I'd ever won the game):
    - Got to level 50, had all items for Ultra ending, went to check another window and clicked 'x' in the corner of my window. Game closed, character lost forever.
    - Got to fight Andor Drakon, switched Trident of the Red Rooster out of my hand so I could wear Protector for -Para. As soon as I killed him an an otherwise easy fight I get told that a chaotic force emerges from his corpse and overwhelms me, turning me into a miserable and chaotic chaos wretch (should having been wearing the Trident )

But keep at it, you'll get there eventually!
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Snock View Post
    I took a deep breath and dove into the chaos gate, with the Medal and Crown tucked safely into my backpack, rather than on my neck and head. I was summarily devoured after failing the final test.

There is no force in Ancardia as powerful as my own ineptitude. Anyone have the number for the suicide prevention hotline?
    That happened to me once--I entered the gate wearing a plain amulet of chaos instead of the Medal of Chaos. I feel your pain!

Quote Originally Posted by AlterAsc View Post
    And once i forgot about -Para so i got paralyzed at first AD turn and never recovered.
    same boat for me, i was like "i'm so prepared!.... oh no... <2 minutes of andor killing me>
    Wins:
    Gnome Assassin / Dwarven Paladin (ULE) / Ratling Duelist (UNE) / High Elf Archer / Gnomish Wizard x ~5 / Gray Elven Wizard (UCG) - Archmage / Gnomish Weaponsmith / Grey Elf Elementalist / Dwarven Priest / Trollish Barbarian / Drakling Farmer / Mist Elf Wizard / Human Beastfighter / Ratling Archer (UNE) / Gnomish Mindcrafter

Classes Left
    Many!