Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with Equipment Stats

Default Need Help with Equipment Stats

I feel like an idiot for asking this, and I'm sure I'd be able to find it if I looked harder, but I can't figure out equipment stats and damage, etc.

E.g: my long sword does like 1d6+2 or something. Is that like 9 damage, or 8 or what? And with my shield and armour, etc. the stats are like (+0 -1) [-4 +7].

The problem here is I just started ADOM and I've died like 30 billion times because I pick up a ton of spells, and swords and spears and stuff and when I want to replace something I'm like, "hmm, is 2d3+2 attack better? Or 3d1+2?" If I have something made of iron and I get crystal or mythril I replace it, but it really makes it hard to tell what I should attack with.

What I would like to know is; what does each number mean?

I can't remember the spell stats off the top of my head but it's something similar, and when I play as a wizard and have 3+ bolt spells that have the same PP and range I can't decide which is best.

Also with talents, people said "go for speed talents," but is +2 speed really as good as Stealthy/Healthy? I'm playing a Drakeling Paladin while I get the hang of the game.

Thanks for helping a noob out

Quote Originally Posted by SourSlime View Post
    I feel like an idiot for asking this, and I'm sure I'd be able to find it if I looked harder, but I can't figure out equipment stats and damage, etc.

E.g: my long sword does like 1d6+2 or something. Is that like 9 damage, or 8 or what? And with my shield and armour, etc. the stats are like (+0 -1) [-4 +7].

The problem here is I just started ADOM and I've died like 30 billion times because I pick up a ton of spells, and swords and spears and stuff and when I want to replace something I'm like, "hmm, is 2d3+2 attack better? Or 3d1+2?" If I have something made of iron and I get crystal or mythril I replace it, but it really makes it hard to tell what I should attack with.

What I would like to know is; what does each number mean?

I can't remember the spell stats off the top of my head but it's something similar, and when I play as a wizard and have 3+ bolt spells that have the same PP and range I can't decide which is best.

Also with talents, people said "go for speed talents," but is +2 speed really as good as Stealthy/Healthy? I'm playing a Drakeling Paladin while I get the hang of the game.

Thanks for helping a noob out
    Ooh someones never played rpgs? welcome.

There are a LOT of things to learn in this game so don't be put off, it'll stick in your head in time.

1d6+2 refers to an equivalent of rolling a six sided dice and adding 2, ie damage is somewhat random.
    You'll see this on all weapons (and ammo) with various ranges and not only 1d6 but 2d10 or basically anything (because a computer doesnt need proper shapes, it can use a 3 sided die for example).
    A good common early game weapon is crude spear, not only do they generally default on d8+2 damage, spear also provide more defense than other 1h weapons.

Regarding Shield and armour the first part with (+0 -1) doesn't exist on all armours, it affects missile and melee to hit, small enough here that you can forget about it.
    The brackets number [-4 +7] the first -4 is DV == defence value and in this case is bad for you (monsters will hit you easier), the second is PV == penetration value a positive number is good.
    A lot of heavy iron armour (chain, scale, plate) have a negative DV (and even some of the really good late game armours have minor DV penalties).

How it works, monsters must exceed your DV to hit you and their damage must exceed your PV for you to take any damage.
    The same goes for you vs monsters, hence to hit and damage.

Possibly someone here can refer to where in the readme/manual this is mentioned (because I'm sure it is, this game is very thorough).

I leave spell explanation to someone else.

I would say hardy - > tough skin -> iron skin -> immune to pain is a better way to go for beginners.

Drake paladin is very beginner friendly, you can also try a couple of dwarf healers, high elf paladins and high elf rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Ooh someones never played rpgs? welcome.

There are a LOT of things to learn in this game so don't be put off, it'll stick in your head in time.

1d6+2 refers to an equivalent of rolling a six sided dice and adding 2, ie damage is somewhat random.
    You'll see this on all weapons (and ammo) with various ranges and not only 1d6 but 2d10 or basically anything (because a computer doesnt need proper shapes, it can use a 3 sided die for example).
    A good common early game weapon is crude spear, not only do they generally default on d8+2 damage, spear also provide more defense than other 1h weapons.

Regarding Shield and armour the first part with (+0 -1) doesn't exist on all armours, it affects missile and melee to hit, small enough here that you can forget about it.
    The brackets number [-4 +7] the first -4 is DV == defence value and in this case is bad for you (monsters will hit you easier), the second is PV == penetration value a positive number is good.
    A lot of heavy iron armour (chain, scale, plate) have a negative DV (and even some of the really good late game armours have minor DV penalties).

How it works, monsters must exceed your DV to hit you and their damage must exceed your PV for you to take any damage.
    The same goes for you vs monsters, hence to hit and damage.

Possibly someone here can refer to where in the readme/manual this is mentioned (because I'm sure it is, this game is very thorough).

I leave spell explanation to someone else.

I would say hardy - > tough skin -> iron skin -> immune to pain is a better way to go for beginners.

Drake paladin is very beginner friendly, you can also try a couple of dwarf healers, high elf paladins and high elf rangers.
    Thanks so much! So the number just before the d is how many dice are rolled? And the one after is the sides, followed by + extra damage?

And for the armour, positive values in the circle brackets are better?

Thanks for the advice with the talents, I went Treasure Hunter first, and after some reading realised 'extraordinarily stealthy' means +10% better stealth, and Healthy can be gotten with troll blood and corpses.

Explains why I always died at level 12 to hordes, b/c I was always using a 1d8 longsword when I had mithril 3d6+6 short swords :P
    Last edited by SourSlime; 10-19-2017 at 02:41 AM.

http://anydice.com/

A good page to compare weapon damages. Makes it easier to see actual damage range and probabilities to roll specific damage value. Do not blindly stare pure damage thou or you will end up with weapon that is overall more bad than the other weapon that does two points less damage.

Speed talents can give you just enough to be able to run away and get to the next floor (or edge of the screen in wilderness encounters). Plus if you like using range it unlocks another talent.

I go for the encumbrance talents that help me carry more since I'm a pack rat.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    Speed talents can give you just enough to be able to run away and get to the next floor (or edge of the screen in wilderness encounters). Plus if you like using range it unlocks another talent.

I go for the encumbrance talents that help me carry more since I'm a pack rat.
    Yes, long stride, carry talents and speed talents are good ones to try out.

Treasure hunter is good in the long run but if you're not able to reach dwarf town on a regular basis (ie game is so short it doesn't matter much) that can wait.
    (You can also find lots of more or less infected threads and old discussions of treasure hunter value here and on other archived forums.)

Explains why I always died at level 12 to hordes, b/c I was always using a 1d8 longsword when I had mithril 3d6+6 short swords :P
    I assume you died because you let several mosters hit you at once, not because of weapon choice.
    A good weapon helps but move away to corridors when there are several monsters, you do not want to get surrounded.

Thanks so much! So the number just before the d is how many dice are rolled? And the one after is the sides, followed by + extra damage?

And for the armour, positive values in the circle brackets are better?

Thanks for the advice with the talents, I went Treasure Hunter first, and after some reading realised 'extraordinarily stealthy' means +10% better stealth, and Healthy can be gotten with troll blood and corpses.

Check out the Manual under The Game/The Inventory - there's a section on all item modifiers. There are different modifiers based on item type.

BTW suggestions on now to improve this are really welcome as we noticed this problem with many new players. I had been considering to give just the damage range as an option (e.g. "4-8 instead of 2d3+2) but then you loose the probability spread information as 1d5+3 obviously is very different form 2d3+2 although they gave the same range of 4-8).

Comments and suggestions on this welcome!
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com

Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin View Post
    BTW suggestions on now to improve this are really welcome as we noticed this problem with many new players. I had been considering to give just the damage range as an option (e.g. "4-8 instead of 2d3+2) but then you loose the probability spread information as 1d5+3 obviously is very different form 2d3+2 although they gave the same range of 4-8).

Comments and suggestions on this welcome!
    I've been playing video games for 30 years and I enjoy the dice systems. The only suggestion I could possibly make, that would help ADOM, is a 'help'-'?' file linked to 'backpack' or 'equipment' tab that explains the aspects of equipment. It would include explanations about dice, how the '+x damage' works, what the values in parentheses and brackets represent for each type of item, and other possible relevant information to equipment. For weapons specifically maybe make weapon damage togglable. It can show 4-8 if the player wants or it can show 1d5+3.

On a personal level I would like to the dice system for weapons have more impact in the mid to late game or specific character classes. Once the bonuses from skills exceed the total possible average damage from the base weapons, the weapon variant become less and less important as the skill increases(excluding weapon powers). Would increasing dice be an effective strategy? In ADOM's current state I have seen that some weapons add 2d6 (1d4 for torch) damage of elemental damage, while looking at the 'combat' tab. Maybe melee oriented classes can add something similar as well, only physical instead of elemental.

can additional damage types be color coded on the combat tab?