Thread: ADOM Dwarf Town Shop Owner Gone Nuts? Why?

Question ADOM Dwarf Town Shop Owner Gone Nuts? Why?

So on ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery, I had the smith die of being a "chaotic being" that needed to be "put down", "cough", "dont know how he had two Corruption traps in his shop, I swear!".....dip wand of trap creation in potion of exchange to hide evidence..... HOWEVER if i spend too much time in dwarf town, a huge explosion happens it says, and suddenly the town shop keeper is calling thugs on me and says stop theif. Now i can just kill him an the thugs its not really a problem even in my SMITHING Gear DV 22 PV 43, and i got some skill in my Large Eternium Hammer so i can hit and kill.

So first an explosion then hostile town shop owner, and thugs..... all while i just want to smith. Funny how if i just read spell books in town same thing happens, sound text then hostile.

Why is this happening tho? i can not see why hits happening. I am like 145 days in (custom setup with no background corruption yes i know lame)

i am now testing out and trying smithing again, been a bit since it did this on this game. Just wanted to use a safe free forge, meaning the dwarf smith had to go and in a way that doesnt piss off the town.

Lv 36 priest ( i cant seem to lv faster) and i am going for Ultra ending just need lv 45 to do the rest, got the crown and pendant of chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Enlonwhite View Post
    So on ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery, I had the smith die of being a "chaotic being" that needed to be "put down", "cough", "dont know how he had two Corruption traps in his shop, I swear!".....dip wand of trap creation in potion of exchange to hide evidence..... HOWEVER if i spend too much time in dwarf town, a huge explosion happens it says, and suddenly the town shop keeper is calling thugs on me and says stop theif. Now i can just kill him an the thugs its not really a problem even in my SMITHING Gear DV 22 PV 43, and i got some skill in my Large Eternium Hammer so i can hit and kill.

So first an explosion then hostile town shop owner, and thugs..... all while i just want to smith. Funny how if i just read spell books in town same thing happens, sound text then hostile.

Why is this happening tho? i can not see why hits happening. I am like 145 days in (custom setup with no background corruption yes i know lame)

i am now testing out and trying smithing again, been a bit since it did this on this game. Just wanted to use a safe free forge, meaning the dwarf smith had to go and in a way that doesnt piss off the town.

Lv 36 priest ( i cant seem to lv faster) and i am going for Ultra ending just need lv 45 to do the rest, got the crown and pendant of chaos.
    Sounds like you did something fishy with trap creation in Dwarftown. Someone stood on a fireball trap created by you I suppose?

And are you sure you were fighting thugs?

If you want exp, some quick ways are slow yourself and invis the mummy water dragon.

Kill Eternal Guardian over and over.

Wish for Emperor Moloch.

Go Blue Dragon Caves and hunt all the Wyrms and ancient dragons, and maybe including the Karmic one on the stair too.

Stair Hop in ID deep enough to generate things like Wyrms or Greater Moloch tension rooms.

So two years later, and I still dont got an answer for why the Dwarf town shop keeper goes nuts and tries to kill you/summons lacky's to kill you.

So i treat it as a time limit/will need to kill the shop keeper if I use the smith/spend too much time in dwarf town.
    By the time he freaks out I usually can kill him /the thugs super easy.

Just want to know why he freaks out and goes hostile.

Feiyun gave you the correct answer. Most likely due to creating a fireball trap. Other damaging traps can also anger the shopkeeper if dwarves come to harm.

Actually NO more traps in town, I disarm them after the smith dies (so unless some one else is placing them)

Second thing, i noticed, in recent play throughs (mostly lawful times of alignment) I noticed
    that he doesnt seem to freak if the Demented Ratling is dead, was at like day 212 with a ranger ratling myself.

As for exp, on that OLD priest, i was playing too safe and avoiding titans, molochs, and such, (basically all the high exp monsters)
    Soon i realized, i cant avoid all those monsters mid game if i want to level decently at all.

but yeah there was no other traps in town, but I think it is related to the Demented Ratling funny enough....i kill him if going lawful (after completing his quest when chaotic)

in the official old-school rogue-like mode
    (going for ultra due to my two precrown gifts were insane, and the random artifiacts i got, Preserver, bracers of war, then found Maytred Crusader armor)

Right now my Dwarf ranger, accidently leveled too fast end game and as lv50 trying to go lawful or even neutral from Chaotic.....its slow going cause you cant use Altars it seems as a Dwarf end game to change alignment for some reason.
    (all GOLD offerings seem to go to your current alignment diety....now i remember why i dont play dwarfs....as detect traps, and smith'ing can be gotten in game and gold sac'ing is useless for alignment change)