Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Musical tastes

Default Musical tastes

Anyone else here has a keen musical affinity?

I've been a bassist for 9 years now so even thou I started listening to Black Sabbath and Metallica nowadays I listen to a LOT of different music. From the jazzmasters to modern, well built, pop music.

So... what about you guys? Is adom like warcraft where everyone just listens progressive metal? =P. Nothing against it... I've distanced myself from metal throughout the years but I still listen to some good bands like Pain of Salvation and some other, more obscure, post modern bands like Isis or Russian Circles. Also, the best band in the world IMO is Tool... so I can't really say I "distanced" myself from heavy music in general.

A very...very...very reduced list of recommended bands follows:

Antimatter (Leaving Eden and Planetary Confinement are the good albums - mood rock)
    Anekdoten (prog rock)
    A Perfect Circle (heavy rock)
    Charles Mingus (best jazz IMO)
    The gutter Twins (rock)
    Institute (1 album band... with Gavin Rossdale from bush in the vocals)
    Russian Circles (Instrumental post rock)
    Portishead (trip hop)
    Tool (best band in the world IMO)

I'm sure that some (or all) of those artists you know already. But If I were to recommend something from my playlist to anyone (that isn't a well known classic) those would be some of the higher ranked.

Let's exchange bands =P
    Last edited by pblack; 08-11-2009 at 10:53 PM.

I`m very conservative so I prefer music from my youth. Yeah it was a nice time of being different than others... that means that I like the usual set of musics which includes Metallica, Linkin Park, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Scorpions, Sting, and some russian rock and punk-rock bands which you never heard about.

Quote Originally Posted by boris_pankov@inbox.ru View Post
    I`m very conservative so I prefer music from my youth. Yeah it was a nice time of being different than others... that means that I like the usual set of musics which includes Metallica, Linkin Park, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Scorpions, Sting, and some russian rock and punk-rock bands which you never heard about.
    One of these things is not like the others, one of these things does not belong....

Anyway, I mostly listen to talk radio shows (but not the political kind) - I find it distracts me less at work and I actually learn a thing or two. When I listen to music, I like prog rock - Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Glass Hammer, etc. Classic rock is good too, everything Boris mentioned minus Linkin Park and Scorpions, plus Pink Floyd, Eagles, SRV, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I also like some chillout electronica like Thievery Corporation, Phutureprimative, Alvik, The Irresistible Force and so forth.

I like pretty much everything, from classical music and romantic pop to black metal. I'll listen to some of your favourites, always looking for some new (for me) good music.

My favourite group, by the way, is Muse, and I'll be attending their gig in Barcelona the 27th of November.

Quote Originally Posted by warheart View Post
    I like pretty much everything, from classical music and romantic pop to black metal. I'll listen to some of your favourites, always looking for some new (for me) good music.

My favourite group, by the way, is Muse, and I'll be attending their gig in Barcelona the 27th of November.
    Great band as well. Crazily talented guitarrist.

Quote Originally Posted by pblack View Post
    Great band as well. Crazily talented guitarrist.
    And pianist, he rocks, hehe.

About your music, I listened some songs and really liked Charles Mingus. Already knew some of the groups, like Tool. Always liked some of their songs, like Parabola.

Progressive rock, especially early 70s.

Lately been listening to

Camel (long time favourite)
    Greenslade (great keaboards, feat. Dave Lawson from Web / Samurai)
    Spring (only 1 album, but 1 of the best, for Mellotron enthusiasts)
    Indian Summer (quite heavy, another one album band)
    Beggars Opera (Water of Change and Pathfinder, two great albums from Scotland)

Italian progressive

Maxophone (the original Italian version)
    Il balletto di bronzo (Ys is probably the best Italian prog album, a mind blower) [EDIT: After listening this again, I must say this is the best album ever made anywhere. If you know anything like it, please let me now.]
    Metamorfosi (Inferno is probably even better)
    Premiata Forneria Marconi (their first three albums just great)

Finnish progressive

Haikara (their 1st album probably the best Finnish prog album, Finnish lyrics)
    Wigwam (Finnish classic, esp. the early albums with late Pekka Pohjola on bass, Jukka Gustavson on keybs)
    Tasavallan Presidentti (another classic, Jukka Tolonen is one of the world's best guitarists)

Kingston Wall (the best Finnish band from the early 90s)

Neo-progressive, avantgarde, etc.

Circle (ranges from industrial to ambient to psychedelia, one of the best contemporary Finnish bands)
    KTU (electric accordeon ? la Kimmo Pohjonen with some former members of King Crimson)
    Astra (a new band with only 1 album yet, but great, traditional progressive)
    Diagonal (another new band, jazzy, somehow resembles Porcupine Tree in my ears)
    Last edited by otus; 08-14-2009 at 09:12 PM.

I used to listen to a lot of premiata forneria marconi.... but somewhere along the way i lost the taste for it.

You might like anglagard for prog. lots of flutes and piano along with just great basslines.

classical music ftw!
    You know, Bach and such, those guys from the 17th century. It's really great if you feel the music.

Quote Originally Posted by pblack
    You might like anglagard for prog. lots of flutes and piano along with just great basslines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moeba
    You know, Bach and such, those guys from the 17th century. It's really great if you feel the music.
    Debussy and Chopin for the win. Lots of flutes and piano. Also, mad props to Prokofiev and Mahler, great angry music, if you're in the mood for it.