Thread: Problem with HISCORE - game crashes viewing Roguelike high scores

Default Problem with HISCORE - game crashes viewing Roguelike high scores

Greets all,

Veteran player, and I go way back. I've been dragging along my same "hiscore" file since my first win more than a decade ago.

Roughly 8 months ago, I put up another win on a grey elf (priest in this case). Standard win. I've never had problems viewing or recording new wins to my hiscore book despite there being many version changes over the years.

Getting ready to play a new class/character combo, and the first thing I wanted to have a look at was my score book to see classes/races I've played. Instead of showing me my hiscore file it crashes the game.

As an IT expert, I always keep numerous backups and I always back up these high score files after winning. I had three identical archives of the same file and they all do the same thing.

I'm positive it was working with a prior version of ADOM, and equally positive I have a non-corrupted version of the file, as I keep three backups of all of my personal files. I have a backup of this file from Feb 2017 right after my most recent win. For what it's worth I've always been an upright player and have never tried to edit the file - a quick file comp shows the file has not changed since it was last "view-able".

I'd hate to lose more than a decade of games because of a software update...HISCORE.zip

Is there any explanation? Has something changed with the hiscore imports, or is it an old entry causing a memory overflow? Or something else? It had been working as recently as February '17 and I haven't played since that time... all three backup versions I have are identical, and my guess is I've exposed some kind of software bug...?

Thanks in advance,

Shea

Hi,

I've checked the file you have uploaded. It seems the first entry ("Shea. L50 high elven priest (M). 83982122 xps. 313344 turns. Won on 7/5/2004.") is only partially complete. Some values are there, like the score and other values like the name are missing. ADOM doesn't expect that to happen and therefore crashed.

It would be great if you could also upload a working highscore file so that I can check why the transformation doesn't work.

We always checked that newer ADOM versions could also load all highscore files.

Thanks!
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

Default 2008 hiscore file attached

Sorry it took so long to get back to you!

I did a bit more tinkering, and here's what I've found:

1) None of my hiscore files work with the current version of the game, including my 2008 and 2006 backups... that's pretty far back.
    2) I have an old version of the game - that I fired up on an old computer, and it loads my 2008 and 2006 hiscore files perfectly fine (these all crash the current version).
    3) The score entry you're referring to, the one in 2004, my guess is most of the fields you are referring to did not exist.

I've attached an older hiscore file:

HISCORE Old.zip

Here's a screenshot of that file working on an older version of ADOM:

2008 hiscore on old version.jpg

...and this old "hiscore" will not load on the current steam version.

Maybe hitting it from this angle will be helpful?

Thanks in advance,

Shea

Thanks, this was helpful. I've opened issue 5965 for this problem. It's already fixed, so the next version should be able to display old highscores (from 1.1.1 or 1.2.x) correctly.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa