Thread: Is Athletics working? (Current latest steam version - non Beta)

Default Is Athletics working? (Current latest steam version - non Beta)

I've got a Level 12 gnome paladin who has been pretty diligent about boosting the Athletics skill and I don't think I've ever seen a single stat increase. AFAIK the only stat increase I've gotten is one from eating an ogre corpse.
    It might not be athletics - I also haven't seen any STR increases from being burdened/strained (strength: 16 out of potential 23) - I'd have expected to see one.
    Toughness only 14, Dex lower - so within the range where I'd expect Athletics to help.

So a few things here: for an increase in str from 16-18 it requires strained! Just being burdened or strained won't increase str anymore. Now as for athletics increasing your stats, it's highly random so unless you see no increases across a bunch of games, it's just the rng hating you I'm sure the spd increase from athletics is still working though

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    So a few things here: for an increase in str from 16-18 it requires strained! Just being burdened or strained won't increase str anymore. Now as for athletics increasing your stats, it's highly random so unless you see no increases across a bunch of games, it's just the rng hating you I'm sure the spd increase from athletics is still working though
    Ok well I'll just have to get used to the strength then again then

I'll see if it happens with another character after this one, but I remember getting multiple stat points by this time before, so getting zero sure doesn't feel right.
    Thanks

I'm confused, why would you have to get used to strength again? Just load up until very strained and you'll get up to 18 str. Or eat some ogres. And you are playing a gnome, so mine a bit and you'll find a few stone Giants quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    I'm confused, why would you have to get used to strength again? Just load up until very strained and you'll get up to 18 str. Or eat some ogres. And you are playing a gnome, so mine a bit and you'll find a few stone Giants quickly.
    Er, I meant "strength gain" again - have to get used to going for Strained! instead of Strained.

This is one of the illogical elements of ADOM - most Trolls can start with Strength so high you can't train it that high at all outside some ridiculous investments with Garth. And if they are drained, they have no way of restoring it back...