Thread: Got NotEye in weird state with monster memory? Can't seem to fix it

Default Got NotEye in weird state with monster memory? Can't seem to fix it

Playing on Steam - using character from 3.0.6?, just got update to 3.1.3
    Was playing in Tiled mode
    Went to the barbarian glade and got his quest, recalled monster memory - it showed me a blank screen and seemed to turn off NotEye. If I hit F10 at this point to toggle NotEye it showed me the large bat (Although no text descriptor).

At this point monster memory always seemed to be in the opposite mode for the game (if I'm in ASCII it shows the picture - if I'm in NotEYE it goes to AScii)
    Significantly worse, when I hit something like "e" to eat in NotEye mode.... it switches to an ascii image of the current map (Barbarian glade) where I did the monster memory. If I then toggle noteye, it will proceed to eat - but I can't have that happen every time I type any strange commands.

I quit and reloaded a DIFFERENT character, and when I hit "e" on that character... it shows the ASCII version of my character in the glade.
    I assume I've messed something up and a simple key will fix it, but I have no idea what.

Anyone have an idea?

...monter memory seems to be broken, new 3.1.3 steam here, showing drop down list instead... also shows it instead of game menu...Screen Shot 7.pngScreen Shot 7.png
    munch munch munch

I see Grond has now entered this as a bug:
    http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=6153

Yeah. Effects other stuff too - game is unplayable. I hate Steam and autoupdates.

I'd recommend switching to the beta branch until this gets fixed. 3.1.2 is in much better shape.

Why force updates down our throats anyway? Devs should be able to allow manual updates>

Quote Originally Posted by Grond View Post
    I'd recommend switching to the beta branch until this gets fixed. 3.1.2 is in much better shape.
    Unless I'm being unusually dense, there's no way to do this. Switching to, e.g., 3.0.6 and then to the beta build downloads 3.1.3; 3.1.2 isn't a separate option. Switching from the public release to the beta obviously doesn't do anything because they're the same version.

Would be nice to keep version N-1 available for situations like this, I suppose.
    Last edited by meekrab; 03-30-2018 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by meekrab View Post
    Unless I'm being unusually dense, there's no way to do this. Switching to, e.g., 3.0.6 and then to the beta build downloads 3.1.3; 3.1.2 isn't a separate option. Switching from the public release to the beta obviously doesn't do anything because they're the same version.

Would be nice to keep version N-1 available for situations like this, I suppose.
    Yeah, beta got updated to 3.1.3 too. The previous public release the beta branch got left behind. Thought it would be the same this time, given the "but remember to deactivate your beta mode if you participated in that" reminder on the blog, but nope.

Quote Originally Posted by mitres View Post
    Why force updates down our throats anyway? Devs should be able to allow manual updates>
    Steam policy... knowing which self-respecting devs would not push broken stuff on steam platform...

On a more serious note - devs can enable certain updates to be avalaible in betas --- mine steam shows r64/69/70/72/88 as options (not sure if any of them work).

(On even less serious note... initially Thomas believed that save compatibility for different versions was not needed on Steam... think how fun would have that been)
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Yep. I am very appreciative of the beta channel for older versions. I had avoided the public betas and stuck with 3.0.6 (88) til the forced update. Like you say, it's Steam. Steam borgs a dev's game into some amalgam with itself. Sad. It would be neat if players who pay for the Steam version could get a free-standing version too.