Thread: What is highest useful DV / PV?

Lightbulb What is highest useful DV / PV?

I am playing a Weaponsmith (level 33), with my DV / PV at 96 / 66 depending on what is equipped and my tactics. (DV 167 on coward!)

When I wandered into the bug temple, I noticed that the bugs would never be blocked by my shield, even when they managed to do damage penetrating the armor.
    I think this gives proof to the notion of a minimum chance to hit by monsters, irrespective of DV. Otherwise I would expect some of the attacks to be blocked by the shield.

How much value is additional smithing on my gear, apart from bragging rights? Maybe PV?

(managed to swap gear, get to 211 / 89 while cowardly. )

Well, from what I've heard chance to hit is something like... Math.max(a, (b-DV)/DV)... in which a is some constant (like 5%?) and b is monster bonus to hit... If monster has lower to hit than DV only a matters.... but with fairly high DV division makes right part less than earlier.

But that is just theory anyway. I think practical evaluation was that DV effect caps at ~70.

Bugs with multiple rolls and PV ignoring are really antismithing stuff.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    But that is just theory anyway. I think practical evaluation was that DV effect caps at ~70.
    In the Bug Temple vs Killer Bugs, it seemed that they missed more often at 100 DV vs 80 DV. I didn't study it in detail however.

For me anything past 90 DV was usually unnoticeable.
    I've had super-scummed archmage/wish engine buffed chars with 200 DV but it was hard to tell if there was a significant difference between that and 90-100.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Well, from what I've heard chance to hit is something like... Math.max(a, (b-DV)/DV)... in which a is some constant (like 5%?) and b is monster bonus to hit... If monster has lower to hit than DV only a matters.... but with fairly high DV division makes right part less than earlier.

Bugs with multiple rolls and PV ignoring are really antismithing stuff.
    I wonder if personalised game, "tough monsters" change this anything for DV, ie do they get a bigger constant is there maybe even an earlier cap on useful DV because of how the game works?

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    I wonder if personalised game, "tough monsters" change this anything for DV, ie do they get a bigger constant is there maybe even an earlier cap on useful DV because of how the game works?
    Tough monsters get better to-hit, but their automatic hit chance appears to be unchanged. For any particular monster type, it will take more DV to get serious diminishing returns.
    Last edited by Grond; 05-10-2018 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    I've had super-scummed archmage/wish engine buffed chars with 200 DV but it was hard to tell if there was a significant difference between that and 90-100.
    ADOM frequently uses minimum and maximum limits for such calculations, so that you'd have to fight, say, a lvl 1000 shopkeeper to see any significant difference.